HPI-Killers AE MGT 4.6 & LRP .32 MGT Thread

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LRP.30 or the LRP.32 engines. If your wanting to gear it a tad higher which I recommend, I would go with the 8.0 trans with the 49t spur and the 20t clutch bell. I have a buddy running an Lrp.30 on his mgt with the 8.0 trans and this gearing and it has been radar tested at 52mph. I am installing a LRP.32 on my mgt build. And you def want the FOC for the 8.0 trans.

Excellent, is there any upgraded HD gears for the 8.0? What sort of suspension setup should I install to keep ot up with the weight and take some nice jumps without sagging or bottoming out? Are the stock diffs strong enough for the .32 or even the .30?

LRP.30 or the LRP.32 engines. If your wanting to gear it a tad higher which I recommend, I would go with the 8.0 trans with the 49t spur and the 20t clutch bell. I have a buddy running an Lrp.30 on his mgt with the 8.0 trans and this gearing and it has been radar tested at 52mph. I am installing a LRP.32 on my mgt build. And you def want the FOC for the 8.0 trans.

Glad to see someone else running the good ole MGT platform they really are good trucks with some small upgrades!

---------- Post added at 8:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:51 PM ----------

Excellent, is there any upgraded HD gears for the 8.0? What sort of suspension setup should I install to keep ot up with the weight and take some nice jumps without sagging or bottoming out? Are the stock diffs strong enough for the .32 or even the .30?

Shocks I'm not sure the stock team, aluminum ones are awesome, the traxxas big bores also work and hold up nice from what I have heard. And the 8.0 trans is pretty much bulletproof and will hold any big blocks out there. The diffs on the MGT's I have seen a lot of people complain about them, I personally have had no issue's with them. But I shim my diffs to make sure the pinion's are centered on the ring gear. Diff shims can be had on ebay for like $5.00. If you don't mind spending the cash you can buy the GPM aluminum diff housing like I did they use a three bearing setup for the pinion gears which adds a lot of durability with the diffs because it pretty much eliminates the play between the pinion and ring gear without using as many shims. Also if your going with the 8.0 trans you will have to drill three holes in the stock 4.6 chassis but that's no biggie bro! Sucks cause I have to drill my rare factory team race chassis to run mine but oh well LOL! Also you can run the LST pipe and header combo which really opens up the pipe options for the truck. I like the rear exit though. There is not much to choose for the rear exit if you go that route.

Last edited:
Yeah this was a truck I've wanted since I got into this hobby!! Heard nothing but good things as well!!

Yeah this was a truck I've wanted since I got into this hobby!! Heard nothing but good things as well!!

Back when I raced and I mean way back when nitro was all anyone run, the MGT was killing it on the track in the UMT class at the track. That is until guys started running the revo's. I ran a highly modded MAxx truck and did very well but the MGT's were hard to stay with. I can tell you sourcing parts for the MGT's are getting harder to get. I have been buying up all the hard to come by parts I find for my build. You would think that with the Rival electric version companies would be producing more hop up parts for these rigs. The Rival is just an electric version of the MGT.

So buying extra diffs trannies gears and such would be logical? Its a shame its dieing off on part availability...

I'm talkin to Robin at ERCM to do a full mod service on a new .32 with a custom pipe to go with. Yu thong a modded .30-.32 would still be good with the gearing you mentioned ahove? I'm not goin cheap on thos truck thats for sure haha.

Is this the engine I need or is there a better version one with mpre power il? And is this a direct drop in ?

So buying extra diffs trannies gears and such would be logical? Its a shame its dieing off on part availability...

I'm talkin to Robin at ERCM to do a full mod service on a new .32 with a custom pipe to go with. Yu thong a modded .30-.32 would still be good with the gearing you mentioned ahove? I'm not goin cheap on thos truck thats for sure haha.

Well I found another weak link in the ole MGT today. I managed to shear the rear driveshaft or dog bone pin where it goes into the drive cup! Guess maybe it would be a good idea to keep spares of these when out for a hard day of bashing! And I just can't seem to keep the set pins tight on the drive shafts or the drive cups, even with red Loctite!

I might be getting in on these, i been wanting a nice monster truck for many many years. I hope to get one even in used state. I see tower has great part support for the stock parts, i see some of the key parts for some low prices. Ebay seams to have a lot of parts. I got a mgt 3.0 that was my last rc before i got back in to the hobby a few months back. Now with out going to far away from what is going on in this thread will the mgt 4.6 fall off as far as part support ? Just leaving ebay etc..

Stocker parts I am sure will be around for some time since AE has the electric counter part the Rival.

Stocker parts I am sure will be around for some time since AE has the electric counter part the Rival.
I really need to get one of these, i can see all the power some of the motors can make do some backing out screws etc like ya said lol. Man i want one of these looks like the new ones are 2.4 and ya know the price has me kinda thinking hmmm is there anything i can sell to get a new in box truck. I am still trying for a used one at the moment

Well heres what I saw with my own eyes. Today I raced and they put in a truggy to run with us and it had a brand new lrp. Those engines got alot of power boy. But anyways there was a buggy running a os max .21 (which I'm getting soon lol) and I tell ya that truggy with the .32 I believe could not touch that os....no way no how. It smoked my b6 as well.

By all means learn from my threads but when I detect elevated levels of negativity on whatever level, it will always escalate into a full blown fight.. Continue doin what your doing I guess I misread the tone of the situation.

I was looking at engines today and saw that the .32 ofna force engine is going for $130. Thats a pretty good motor if your trying to keep the expense down.

I was looking at engines today and saw that the .32 ofna force engine is going for $130. Thats a pretty good motor if your trying to keep the expense down.

Where was this mill? Thats a pretty decent price!

Lumiddave on the bay has some of the .32 force in the 130 range

Just gotta flip a few more scaler/crawler things and I will have me a new mill! Come on paper keepa flowin!