Engine choices for Losi 8ight

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaphod357

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Can anyone recommend a good engine upgrade for the 8ight? There's several choices of course, and I wold like to see what add'l horsepower I can add...

Last edited:
price range is a good place to start...next is what type of track you'll be running on (short/long/tech/oval) if price isn't an issue get one of those JP modded mills that just scream HP / RPMs....the P5x is a nice mill for short tracks.....I hear that new RB WS3 or C5 are supposed to be real ass whoopers now....

Price isn't going to be an issue, so sounds like I may want to check out the JP mods. The tracks are mainly long (though not many long straight sections), with the occasional field bashing session.

Thanks for the input!

I really like the Mr. Ninja .21 in my STR. It's easy to tune, starts easily and rips on whatever you are running on.

It will set you back about $300 and the initial break-in is a little tough due to the tight pinch.

I am considering selling my V-Spec that is in my buggy and getting another Mr. Ninja since I like it so much.

A friend of mine has a Mr Ninja and is REAL happy with it so I second that notion!

I gotta an RB.21 3 ports... lots of low end and quick, the track here has a 60' straight. I have heard that the OS turbo engines scream in the 8ight.

I have a JP Racing FX21 B5N, you can't go wrong with it. P5X is a nice mill too as is the Nova 821.

You can't go wrong with most high end mills these days.
My buddy and hes Losi made there debut at the African Cup 2 months ago.
He had just finished building the car on the Thursday evening ,drove 5 hours to the event got 2 officail practice runs on the Friday ,TQed on Saterday ,and took the win on Sunday.
He was running the JP FX 21 B8T but the engine broke in the semi finals ,good thing was he had lapped the field by 4 laps so still got the win.
He ran the JP 21 B5T in the final race and was even faster ,hes average lap was the 2nd place guys fastest lap. He managed to lap the guys by 3 laps.
What was very impressive is that earlier he had fractured hes right arm and sprained his left thumb in a fall while pitting for a team mate and he could still drive like a bat out of hell.

I personally run a AxeMotorRossi Cobra and swear by it.

Last edited:
Also, you have to think of competition and stuff. Cause if you want to race you'll have to look at all the restrictions.

The beast said:
Also, you have to think of competition and stuff. Cause if you want to race you'll have to look at all the restrictions.

None of the engines mentioned above are larger then .21. If your going to race 1/8 scale then you need a .21, I guess I just don't understand the point of your post.

razzor said:
You can't go wrong with most high end mills these days.
My buddy and hes Losi made there debut at the African Cup 2 months ago.
He had just finished building the car on the Thursday evening ,drove 5 hours to the event got 2 officail practice runs on the Friday ,TQed on Saterday ,and took the win on Sunday.
He was running the JP FX 21 B8T but the engine broke in the semi finals ,good thing was he had lapped the field by 4 laps so still got the win.
He ran the JP 21 B5T in the final race and was even faster ,hes average lap was the 2nd place guys fastest lap. He managed to lap the guys by 6 laps.
What was very impressive is that earlier he had fractured hes right arm and sprained his left thumb in a fall while pitting for a team mate and he could still drive like a bat out of hell.

I personally run a AxeMotorRossi Cobra and swear by it.

WOW

i bet you forgot to metion that after the race he noticed that he had forgot to put batterys in the transmiter :seeing_stars:

Ben,

I think he is just mentioning that in case the thread starter runs 1/8th UMT or Arena truck class. All need to check ROAR on what they limit in size for the truggies...

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with a P5x.. I've had mine for a really long time, and awesome power with no problems.

RB WS7III is the only way to fly!!!! A buddy of mine that is currently a new member here will swear by this motor. He is on his 11th gal. of fuel, never breaks 220 degrees and screams like a bat out of hell. The only thing he's ever done to the motor is a new front bearing. I know for a fact, after running with "Slide00" the next and only motor I will ever buy, will be an RB....

Back