Recommendations for a beginner's R/C car, please!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
Thinking about the $150 budget for an RTR.

You can find Mini-Zs all day long and they have a following. However, they are tiny and a touch better than toy grade. Tamiya is good stuff, but I (me personally) find them a bit fragilled compared to Traxxas or Arrma.

Tomly RC reviews a lot of inexpensive cars. Some of them are good some are not. No matter make sure you can get parts in a reasonable amount of time. No parts, no deal. https://www.youtube.com/@TomleyRC

I'd look on Craigslist or FB Markeplace. This is a pretty sweet deal in my neighborhood.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/tag/d/san-jose-traxxas-33-coupe-hot-rod-blue/7652641787.html

If you can do Lego you can put together a kit. Something to consider. A 1/10th scale 2wd Traxxas Slash kit is $200. Lots of good options from Tamiya as well. The Traxxas kits are made for kids. .... kid like adults I suppose.
1694879524961.png

Do you have a nearby hobby shop to get parts? If so then I would only buy what they carry if you want to have local parts support.

If you prefer to mail order then you're going to get a lot of biased opinions.

There was a time where I used to praise Traxxas, but I have learned to stay far away from that brand for reasons explained here:
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/beginners-need-buying-advice.139298/#post-1392717

Here's some brands that I would encourage you to explore in no particular order:

I am not affiliated with any of these brands, just providing honest feedback.

If I were to buy a RTR for family member today I would get them a Caster ETO821

I am a club racer where I prefer to run race grade kits and my top pick of the myriad of race grades out there is HB Racing though this brand probably doesn't offer a RTR option currently.

Since you've set a budget of $150 I would go ARRMA in your case

Good Luck!

Do you have a nearby hobby shop to get parts? If so then I would only buy what they carry if you want to have local parts support.

If you prefer to mail order then you're going to get a lot of biased opinions.

There was a time where I used to praise Traxxas, but I have learned to stay far away from that brand for reasons explained here:
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/beginners-need-buying-advice.139298/#post-1392717

Here's some brands that I would encourage you to explore in no particular order:

I am not affiliated with any of these brands, just providing honest feedback.

If I were to buy a RTR for family member today I would get them a Caster ETO821

I am a club racer where I prefer to run race grade kits and my top pick of the myriad of race grades out there is HB Racing though this brand probably doesn't offer a RTR option currently.

Since you've set a budget of $150 I would go ARRMA in your case

Good Luck!

Totally agree with you. Horizon Hobby is a multi-brand company. Arrma, Losi, Axial, Spectrum, Dynamite, Onyx, Proline ... are all Horizon Hobby and you will end up with some of their products at some point.

I've heard similar complaints about Traxxas business practices. The story is LHS was forced to sell (take inventory) more batteries or they wouldn't get the TRX-4Ms. Me, I would have told them to suck it then called the BBB, FTC, Traxxas CEO, and filed a lawsuit. That's is completely unethical business practices and if I did that to my customers my boss would out right fire me. The ethical route would be to give them incentives through discounts, not deny service.

That aside Traxxas does make good products and have good customer service. If you stay out of the politics and if you want to be a consumer it's not a bad choice. I mean it's not like they are burning down the rain forest and stealing babies, they are just A-holes.

It is hard to beat the Traxxas LaTrax shortcourse Desert Prerunner, for a first RC. Don't let anyone tell you it is a toy. It's a serious RC vehicle.

You can upgrade and fix easily. It will run on most any surface or track, aside from tall grass. All metal gears in the two diffs. It is fast, but not too fast. It's basically a smaller 1/14th Traxxas with very robust high quality plastic and decent hardware. It is very tough, since it is a shortcourse truck built for being battered. Very affordable, well under $200 with all the electrics including battery and it's 4WD. I bought one for my son at our local hobby shop and think it is one of my favorite RCs

Last edited:
uhh id say latrax are kinda toys... sorry for being a jerk, but id say the best beginner truck HAS to be the slash 2wd. its what i got when i was 9. its still kickin today. if i could drive it, anyone could.

uhh id say latrax are kinda toys... sorry for being a jerk, but id say the best beginner truck HAS to be the slash 2wd. its what i got when i was 9. its still kickin today. if i could drive it, anyone could.
You wouldn’t be alone. There are a number of smaller RC vehicles of equivalent build quality and drive ability that are not considered toys, because they fall within a race class. Just think the latrax is in the same category. The Slash is a good choice too. I have had one, but now race with a Techno 410.3 (not recommended for beginner)

I've always wanted to get a tekno, if only there was a track nearby :cry:

I've always wanted to get a tekno, if only there was a track nearby :cry:
i can quote myself!??!?!? i wish i had known this sooner!

This is an excellent collection of information. I'm weighing options and will report back as I get something and start breaking stuff!

Back