engine choice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well dude, I have about 5 gal in mine and still runs great. On a tight track you can give the RBs and OSs a run for there money. They always catch me at the end of a long straight. Take your time to break it in right, use my advice on the clutch set up and sealing the carb. You will not be sorry. Steve

I too have an 8-port Race. I got mine with a pull start (Ho Bao makes it). I got the Ho Bao instructions. I followed them like an idiot without checking the OFNA 8-port break-in instructions.

My instructions did not include the heat cycle. I also didn't know about putting you piston BDC after every run for cool down. It's got about two gallons in it now and and the compression isn't hardly what it used to be. It's also getting hard to tune.

I'm glad I made all my mistakes on a cheap engine because at $270 I don't want to fiddlesticks up my new Rex p5. :D It's getting a mod job before race season. It's going to be overkill for a newbie racer like myself. I think I'm gonna have to set my throttle end point at like 50% until I can learn to control it. Hardest part right now is waiting for the track to reopen... :ball:

Anyway, in response to the original thread, it all depends on your track. FlyingRazorBack's advice about asking around at the local track is the same I'm gonna offer. The track determines the best engine for your race buggy.

Thanks guys, I do appreciate your time. You're alright in my book.:banana:

So I'm pondering an engine choice for next year, and I'm debating between the WS7II and a P5. What are some of youse guys experiences with either? Such as

reliability

fuel economy

needle sensitivity

sensitivity to ambient temp

durability

powerband

So far I'm borrowing a buddy's OS V01B, but as he'll need it next year, I need to get a new mill myself. Yeah, there's the OS VZ-B, but supposed durability issues have me a little gun shy on the matter. So far I've only ran OS engines (small and big block) and have been very happy (I've also ran a Trinity Picco :puke: ). I basically have no experience with the Italian mills, and want to draw from your experiences.

Thanks in advance!

I just traded my Yokomo electric sedan for a brand new P5 :) Anybody have any experiences with a stock P5 ? Thx guys.

They are both great engines, but I would give my vote to te P5. The Rex version had some issues with bearing failure, but they have switched to the NR case so from what I hear they have cleared that up. I had a P5 and my brother has a WS7II so I do know a little about them. A buddy of mine runs the NR P5 also. Here's what I think:

Reliability - TIE. It is rare to see one of these engines flameout. They fire up easy everytime regardless of temp, humidity, etc.

Fuel economy - TIE. Although a slight edge may go to the WS7II, you should expect to get 6-7 minutes of hard racing out of each.

Needle sensitivity - WS7II. Slight edge to the RB. It's sweet spot is slightly larger than the P5's. Both are fairly easy to tune (neither are as easy to tune as an OS though).

Sens. to ambient temp - TIE.

Durability - TIE. Expect to get 6-10 gallons through any RB or NR engine. They are that good. May need to replace the rod on them every couple of gallons.

Powerband - P5. (Using same clutch/pipe setup). The P5 is more abrupt on the lowend. Awesome power down low. After a gallon or so the topend comes alive. The WS7II is a little weaker on the bottom and equal throughout the midrange and topend.

My pick - P5. Although you can't go wrong with either, the P5 has that little bit of extra oomph that you need / desire.

Well my lil JP P5, seems to be leaking alittle bit at the front bearing now - prob 15 tanks thru it... :stickup: