Delta plastics Shelby Cobra Daytona

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going for a rat rod race car thing. I am working on the blue.

image.jpg

Doing a doctor evil over here. I got the lasers set up.
I put two lasers across from each other and lined them up. Then moved the body to center the rear tail light and the point on the hood scoop. I will mark this and tape it off. Hopefully I can get the stripe
Straight.
I found a better inspirational piece.
But It has two narrow stripes and I am not sure about the white front fenders. I need to do some research on this particular car.
But I love the weathering.

Now that I have the white base down I need to let that dry for a couple days. Then tape off the stripe and do the white and salt. While that is still wet it gets black over it all. Once that dries the blue goes on. After that I scrub the whole thing and expose the paint chips. Then the weathering and clear.

IMG_5150.jpeg

IMG_5151.jpeg

IMG_5162.jpeg

IMG_5163.jpeg

IMG_5164.jpeg

IMG_5165.jpeg

IMG_5167.jpeg

IMG_5168.jpeg

IMG_5166.jpeg

Got the stripes on.
Then paint.

White then salt with white at the front and then black and salt on that. Then a can of ps49 over black. Now I let it dry and wet want it . Touch up and clear.

IMG_5179.jpeg

IMG_5181.jpeg

I want to use my airbrush setup to spray on the panel lines and other details.
Is acetone used to clean up polycarbonate paint ?

I found out the hard way that acetone is what cleans up polycarbonate paint. I put the inside masked over the glass and painted the chrome. And for the outside I just cut the spray on mask. But somehow I pulled the mask off the rear window. So after painting , I pulled the front and side masks only to discover I painted the rear window.
The fix was to tape off the frame and clean off the paint. Lucky for me the body comes with rear window frame.
I used acetone to remove the paint and mothers to clear up the white haze. But it still needs a bunch of polishing to repair. Kinda looks like plexiglass so I can live with it. And I won’t cry as much when I skid it on the roof.
I can always buy another body.

IMG_5192.jpeg

IMG_5190.jpeg

IMG_5191.jpeg

I found out the hard way that acetone is what cleans up polycarbonate paint. I put the inside masked over the glass and painted the chrome. And for the outside I just cut the spray on mask. But somehow I pulled the mask off the rear window. So after painting , I pulled the front and side masks only to discover I painted the rear window.
The fix was to tape off the frame and clean off the paint. Lucky for me the body comes with rear window frame.
I used acetone to remove the paint and mothers to clear up the white haze. But it still needs a bunch of polishing to repair. Kinda looks like plexiglass so I can live with it. And I won’t cry as much when I skid it on the roof.
I can always buy another body.

View attachment 181835

View attachment 181836

View attachment 181837
Nice job well done

Maybe if you can't get the window to clear up, hit it with some clear paint. Car looks awesome man. Are you planning on adding the white on the fenders when you get more paint? I love it on the car in the sample photos, and I think it would look great on yours as well.

Last edited:
Was just looking at the car you used for inspiration again. The tar speckles on the front of that car could be done by flicking the bristles of a dry brush at yours with black paint.

This is my favorite body you've done man. I'm kinda jealous because the Daytona has been one of my favorite cars since I was a kid. I actually got to see a couple of them at a Mustang Club of America meet in Brownsburg Indiana. It was about 1/4 mile from my house at what used to be called Indianapolis Raceway Park. We saw a Ford GT going down the road and followed him in there. Best car show I ever saw. Lots of really cool vintage racecars there.

Thanks for the kind words. This build was a little out of my wheel house. But I wanted to retire my SCT for next season and I found the body. If I was starting over I would use a 2WD associated short corse truck as it has the proper 325mm wheelbase and I could stagger the tire diameter.

But I really am happy with this rig and will race it this summer. Everything I have is 1/10 scale . And I am thinking bigger. Like an 8 s felony for top speed trials

Back