Dual 8s capable Infraction.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa crawler

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
The hobby shop is across the street from a 1/4 mile asphalt oval racetrack. Called Hawkeye Downs. There is also an outdoor asphalt oval called Storm Steel that race every Saturday night. It’s down the road a bit.

I have raced at Storm steel and it’s lots of fun. Very high driver stand and a big track with a grass infield.

They race all sort of big traxxas and 1/6 and 1/7 scale stuff in various classes all summer and a couple times a year they have top speed runs at Hawkeye Downs.

So after looking at a couple choices and doing a lot of fun research I decided to build an Infraction. I was going to go used V1 and build it up. But I think they get used hard and I can a new V2 and use the stock electronics package for regular racing and build a more powerful set up for speed runs.

So the truck its self will be fairly straightforward. But I want to use two 1721 castle 2400kv motors with monster x ESC and separate 8 s batteries for each motor. So two motors two ESC’s two batteries and two capacitor’s.

The body will be a whole other thing . But I want to start with the truck body. They sell a rear wing that has a servo. I think I can add a gyro and help keep it on the ground.

Looking for at least 130 mph but here is the catch. It’s a speed run on a 1/4 mile oval track. So it’s how fast can you go and corner. They say if you break traction you eat the wall. Basic strategy is to come off the turn and make your run down the straight away and slow down to make the turn. Current record is 130mph

So spring is in the air. Let’s build something stupid.
Like break lights and lights in the wheels so it looks like the breaks are glowing hot. And wings and rudders that move.

IMG_5340.jpeg

IMG_5213.jpeg

IMG_5342.jpeg

Thanks for the encouragement
I’m going to get the actual kit today

The oval is not level and has big banked turns.
I am going to focus on the turns. Going straight is not easy because flipping is the issue there but I think controlling the turn is the key to making a second run.

I was thinking about rudders and a 3 dimensional gyro from a helicopter. Literally flying across the ground. But at 150 mph I think the force will still lift . And the rudders will be very fragile.

For starters I am going to work on the bottom. Clean up any air holes and keep air moving under the car to the defuser. That should make some down force.

But remember this is all BS because I have not turned a wheel in real life. Just research and theory.

I am kinda a wild man but after buying something I read the instructions. I know I know but sometimes there is some interesting stuff in there. Like Active Vehicle control. I was going to add a gyro but apparently it comes with it.

Go figure?

Kinda like the RTR. Kinda want to take it apart and put it back together or something. Feels odd to just add batteries.

Attachments

• IMG_5350.jpeg
    IMG_5350.jpeg
    332.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Well this escalated quickly.
I did not realize how bad ass the Infraction is.
I did all the set up and programming to bind it to my Dx5 transmitter.
And I spent the evening checking over the set up. This is my first Arrma product and it is very impressive. The spectrum electronics are always good for me.

So all I need is a set of batteries and I’m ready to race. On the big asphalt oval.

The speed runs are another story. I originally did not want to buy a used rig because I want to race on Saturday night. And this new rig is perfect for that. So I gotta get another rig all together for the speed runs.

This is the preliminary parts list for building a 130-150 mph Infraction.
Dual motor mount $85.00
Motor/ ESC combo 499. X 2 $1000.00 ouch .
At least two 6 S batteries 200
Two capacitors. 50.00
Servo reefs 777 149.00
Carbon chassis 199.00
Center brace 35.00
Body 2-$300.00
Servo mount ?
Tires this thing will not be kind to tires.

Then I gotta find a used roller for the differentials, suspension drive shafts shocks/ towers and all the other little bits . It is gonna be a lot to build up. So I will keep this thread going with my current infractions progress. And update as speed run parts roll in.
It took a couple months to save up for the 6S Infraction ,so I hope to be there by summer.

This is the body I plan to use. I like it because it’s got most of the down force at the front and big rudders at the rear. Plus you can get replacement parts for the body when things go wrong.

IMG_5355.jpeg

IMG_5354.jpeg

Basic math with landspeed racing. Double the speed requires four time the power.
Any budget gets doubled before it goes to four times.

Be careful with land speed racing. Once you pick it up. You can’t put it down.

I’m planning on starting a speed build soon but I’m too scared to add up the prices😅
Start with something cheap like a Arrma 3S speed car, and if you like it, move up to a Arrma 6S.
Note: The current record holder is a modded limitless....

The race I am doing has no classes just run what you brung. And it’s on a curved track. Current top speed in Iowa is 130. But the top car goes almost 160 in a straight line. Find out where you are going to run and build according to what ever space and rules you have.

Start with something cheap like a Arrma 3S speed car, and if you like it, move up to a Arrma 6S.
Note: The current record holder is a modded limitless....
I’m planning on slowly working my way up to 100 and then I’ll work at getting up to about 130 hopefully. I was planning on getting a limitless but after talking to a few guys on the Arrma Forum it looks like I’ll have to upgrade it a bit more than a Vte2 to get those speeds.

Of all my dumb ideas this may be the dumbest but if it doesn’t work I’ll at least have an expensive shelf queen🤣

The hobby shop is across the street from a 1/4 mile asphalt oval racetrack. Called Hawkeye Downs. There is also an outdoor asphalt oval called Storm Steel that race every Saturday night. It’s down the road a bit.

I have raced at Storm steel and it’s lots of fun. Very high driver stand and a big track with a grass infield.

They race all sort of big traxxas and 1/6 and 1/7 scale stuff in various classes all summer and a couple times a year they have top speed runs at Hawkeye Downs.

So after looking at a couple choices and doing a lot of fun research I decided to build an Infraction. I was going to go used V1 and build it up. But I think they get used hard and I can a new V2 and use the stock electronics package for regular racing and build a more powerful set up for speed runs.

So the truck its self will be fairly straightforward. But I want to use two 1721 castle 2400kv motors with monster x ESC and separate 8 s batteries for each motor. So two motors two ESC’s two batteries and two capacitor’s.

The body will be a whole other thing . But I want to start with the truck body. They sell a rear wing that has a servo. I think I can add a gyro and help keep it on the ground.

Looking for at least 130 mph but here is the catch. It’s a speed run on a 1/4 mile oval track. So it’s how fast can you go and corner. They say if you break traction you eat the wall. Basic strategy is to come off the turn and make your run down the straight away and slow down to make the turn. Current record is 130mph

So spring is in the air. Let’s build something stupid.
Like break lights and lights in the wheels so it looks like the breaks are glowing hot. And wings and rudders that move.

View attachment 185420

View attachment 185421

View attachment 185422
Maybe a way to power your missile, I hear they go for cheap these days ;-)
flux capacitor.jpg

I’m planning on slowly working my way up to 100 and then I’ll work at getting up to about 130 hopefully. I was planning on getting a limitless but after talking to a few guys on the Arrma Forum it looks like I’ll have to upgrade it a bit more than a Vte2 to get those speeds.

Of all my dumb ideas this may be the dumbest but if it doesn’t work I’ll at least have an expensive shelf queen🤣
I wouldn't if I were you. Thats my :2cents:

They are back ordered at ORiles auto parts. Maybe Amazon has them. Don’t want a cheap knock off and end up in dinosaur times.

IMG_5362.jpeg

Made up a connector so I could us some 3s batteries from a crawler . Just to blast up and down the street . Check alignment.

First pass was kinda underwhelming but straight as an arrow. Took it inside a charged the batteries. Second passes were really fast. It was actually fishtailing because I need to mess with the AVC active vehicle control . But it was moving.

I have a tachometer to measure wheel speed. So I made some check.

15 tooth one 3 s battery rear tire 2500 rpm.
15 tooth two 3s batteries rear tire 5000 rpm that is what I drove it at.

I changed to the speed gear a 25 tooth pinion with two 3s batteries was 7761 rpm.

Can’t wait to drive it again with that speed gearing.

image.jpg

Got some parts in today.
The lower air defuser parts for the wheels.
Still waiting for the side skirts and the fender liners to seal up the bottom. Installed a carbon fiber chassis protector as well.

Some of the parts for the speed car came in. The motor mount and center brace.

I found a roller as a base to build the speed car. Let’s see how that works out.

IMG_5378.jpeg