engine choice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmorando05

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hey i havea choice to get any engine i want
what do i chose:

p5
picco 01-bp
os
rb c5
rb ws7 2
rb ws7

strict racing

be more specific! what is this going into?

sorry....
brand new 9.5 mbx

nice! If I had a new mbx9 I would most likley go with an os mill, picking from your list anyway, I just put a OS21rg-x in my storm and its been extremly reliable and ez to tune, but if if i had the extra dough to spend I would go one step up and get the os21vzb,. that would be a wicked motor for your buggy! out of your list, I would only have chose an OS mill, If you want to go extreme get the XTM 24.7, I saw this mill in a buggy the other day and although I was impressed with the power and speed it was way too fast for the person driving it, he over heated it and blew the CR, and that was the end of his day! OS mills are reliable and ez to tune, and if broken in right will last a very long time b4 a rebuild! good luck!

maniac - can't use the 247 in a buggy race. must be .21 displacement only.

congrats on the buggy - if u are racing, stick with the Ws7 2 - RB Concepts probably makes the fastest engines on the planet. just becareful breaking it in, as they are known to use up to a 1/2 gallon for break in before starting out on the track.

good luck - and welcome to the addiction

no problem, let us know if u have anymore questions

also I'm gonna get another buggy should i get another 9.5 mbx or hyper 7 pro

Holy poop!!!,, did I just see Na recomend a RS mill over an OS,,I couldnt belive my eyes! I knew once you sold that damn tc3 you would go over to the dark side!lol!

Last edited:
personally - i am not a big fan of the ofna products. while they build a great bash buggy, they just arnt up to par with the top notch race buggies. if you truly want to be competitive, and get a good quality kit - i would recommend only 3 buggies.

Kyosho Inferno 7.5
TTR EB4-S2 Pro
GS Storm Pro

All three of these buggies have tons of aftermarket support and have won many national and world titles. Here are some links with pictures and prices.

Kyosho Inferno:

mp75-carready-007.jpg

http://www.twf8.ws/new/home.htm
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCJT3&P=0

TTR EB4-S2 LE

tteb4le_198.jpg

http://www.acehobby.com/acehobby/products/car/18nitrocars/eb4s2pro/index.html

GS Storm Pro

06290041.jpg

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=GSC2004

hope this helps

MBX5 PARTS ARE lil hard to get around here, i know nitrohouse and acehardwarehobbies carries parts for them instock. I can easily say my mbx5 is in whole another league then my ofna mbxpro.. handling, better parts.... I'm pretty sure flyingrazorback can back me up on this :shy: .. The inferno 7.5 kani is a proven winner, but parts and the cost of the kit is lil to steep for my blood..

and as for motor, i have the ws7II and it rocks.. i know its walks on the hyper 8, xtm 24.7 on the straighs, all the other racers at the track have the ws7II

or just get a rody tuned C5 and have some real fun lol

Last edited:
I got yo back slothy :thumbup:

The X5 and K2 are in a class of their own, no doubt about it. I've talked about them numerous times on here.

Just b/c an engine is larger in displacement does not mean it is a more powerful engine. Always remember you'll get what you pay for. I would rather spend a little more on a quality engine made by a quality manufacturer than to have an engine that won't idle, or won't start, or overheats, etc.

what engine do u reccomend

Here is another vote for the MBX-5. :thumbup:

As for engines, I have two for my buggy. A RB C5 and a OS VZ-B(P). The C5 is just crazy fast. Pull the trigger and the buggy is gone! :devil: But it is a little too much for our small track.
I am still braking in the OS. But it looks very promissing. Not as wild as the C5. A little more controllable.

Tex

There are a handful of engines which you would be happy with. Personally, I have had experience with the Ofna 8port, V01b, Rex P5, Sirio, RB S7- WS7 - WS7II and now I'm running a C5. The only engine I did not like was the Sirio. It was plenty fast but had an airleak I could not find.
What I would recommend doing is to go to your track, see what the fast guys are running. Ask about their set-ups (diff fluids, clutch springs, clutch shoes, etc.). Not all engines will work well with all tracks. If you are fairly new to racing the OS engines work really well. They have a very linear powerband and are easy to keep running. Remember, it's not who has the fastest motors that always win. On most tracks there are only a couple of spots where full throttle will actually benefit you. Main thing is keeping you buggy under control. My point is that the fastest engine out there may not be your best choice if you can't handle the power and keep your buggy from banging all over the place.

I think that's the most I have ever typed in one response :naughty:

Engines
man this is a good one, were do you start?

I guess the thing I've always looked for before buying one is, What wins? what is in my budget? what is easy to get parts for? and what is your experience level.

Its pretty easy to get an engine that's a little over your head as far as tuning and maintenance.

I'm retiring my OFNA and ordering a MBX5 tomorrow for the next season of racing starting in a couple of weeks. So Tex, whats up with the c-5? I thought the ws7-2 was the bad boy. Thats what the hot rods at my track run. Is the "Rody C-5" the ticket?
When I ran boats a couple years back there was I old dude named Tom Grannis, you give this guy a NIB Picco 67 and $200 and you get a monster of an 11cc back. Another one is Andy Brown, aka Mac Engines. He has a 21 buggy but I'm waiting for some real feedback on those. I would love to take a OS and send it to a reputable "tuner" and spank these RBs. They are driving me nuts, whos is goin to be the next bad a$$ engine????

get a jp :D - mine will be here tomorrow..

The rody c5 is a c-5 tuned by rody for more juice..

Originally posted by Fly-By-Nitro
So Tex, whats up with the c-5? I thought the ws7-2 was the bad boy. Thats what the hot rods at my track run. Is the "Rody C-5" the ticket?

I would love to take a OS and send it to a reputable "tuner" and spank these RBs. They are driving me nuts, whos is goin to be the next bad a$$ engine????

The C5 is a monster engine. With the right pipe and clutch set-up it provides ALOT of power. The problem with racing them is they guzzle fuel. I'm lucky to get 6 minutes of runtime when racing with it. The WS7II provides a little more punch which is needed on the majority of the U.S.'s smaller tracks. And it gets better fuel mileage.

The VZB, made by OS, is a hot engine and you can find it at a great price. The problem is that the piston and sleeve is wearing out prematurely, and alot of guys are needing a rebuild after 2 gallons. The V01b is a excellent engine as well, but has been discontinued by OS. I was once an OS believer through and through, but after I switched to RB, I doubt I will ever go back.