David's Tamiya TT-02 10th scale On-Road TC build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Onroad tires are harder to glue up than off-road tires
Change my mind
Piece of cake. You need CA glue and tips.
https://a.co/d/64ww2ED

I trim these down a bit to make them less squirrely.

I apply a little tiny drop, at 3, 6, 9, and 12 o-clock positions on both side of the rim on each wheel. By the time I get through that, I start over applying a drop in between those 4 places. By the 3rd trip through, I am searching for unglued places. With those tips, I can usually glue a set of tires with zero traces of glue visible. If I do get exposed glue, I quickly rub it off the tire with alcohol.

Took it out on a storaged charge battery and it's pretty fun. I can slightly drift around. Didn't want to drain the battery much cause it doesn't have low voltage cutoff

Who knew onroad can be so fun

1000011255.jpg

1000011256.jpg

1000011257.jpg

Added a fan

Last edited:
That thing is a hell of a lot peppier than my old TT-01's I built years ago. The TT-02 doesn't look like it's changed much, throw a aluminum driveshaft in there, it'll get rid of a lot of the torque steer. Don't go ham upgrading it, better chassis out there. But these are a great intro to on road touring, looks like you're going to race it? This is the class that got me into road racing solid lil thangs - cheap - but good fun.

Nevermind, video today 😁
Neat video, I've been running my XO-1 for over a year as of last week and have had fun with her but my car still has some steering pull need to figure it someday. I also had my Rlaarlo AK-917 carbon edition roller and my old 4-tec 2.0 ford gt all were enjoyable but my XO-1 stands out from the rest.

That thing is a hell of a lot peppier than my old TT-01's I built years ago. The TT-02 doesn't look like it's changed much, throw a aluminum driveshaft in there, it'll get rid of a lot of the torque steer. Don't go ham upgrading it, better chassis out there. But these are a great intro to on road touring, looks like you're going to race it? This is the class that got me into road racing solid lil thangs - cheap - but good fun.
Yea I got a yeah racing aluminum center driveshaft and center driveshaft outdrives in my parts bag. Planning on racing it in the winter when my local indoor track is open. Probably gonna throw in a 21.5 reedy motor and Hobbywing ESC so I can actually race it in the TCS class. Or I can stick with brushed and run in the novice class. Idk about onroad and TCS classes much so I'll ask them when they open backup in October.

Hope to see some more videos of you racing or running this car in the future. It will be awhile until i can get the necessary camera gear to record running videos of my cars someday as i just resurrected my YouTube page as Cyril Jones RC\cjchannel12RC not much is there yet. If you're wondering i'm planning to save up for a big RC truck pretty soon in July the saving will start. Can anyone guess what the new truck i'll getting will be? it's a 5th scale and it's by Horizon\Losi.

Right now when I'm buy myself, I put my antenna up on my radio and prop my phone up on there. I do have a head strap thing for my phone to record but my phone is too big for it, or I can't get it to point down. When my dad's with me I try to get him to record it I can. Personally I need a GoPro ideally. Or a basic action camera to film stuff. I do want a smaller camera so I can put on the cars for on board video.

Looks like it really wants to drift on the smooth concrete. Should be fun for that. Got a body in mind? Or was this just a shell-off test run? -AC
This was just a shell off run. I got the nsx body it came with. Painted it full silver. And didn't put the stickers on (because I'm lazy cutting out 90 some stickers 🫠)

I got other bodies in mind, and a better paint job. (Learn to take my time now)

Mostly either the civic hatchbacks from the drift version. Or a HPI older NASCAR type body.

Honestly if I get more into onroad. A used 4tec, or a Kyosho fazer might be my next car.

But if I'll be racing in the winter, I'll either get a TC body, or a (I think) Tamiya Ford or Porsche body to race in the GT pro spec class

If I could make this car more drift-able being 4wd, I might take it up to the local drift track someday.

Question. Would it be possible to make it drift-able? If I can, I could take it to my local drift track. And learn how to drift.

Also just seen this video. He super glued his diffs to essentially lock them. Would that be better than the normal diffs with very thin grease?

Ball bearings. Thats what I need to get. Ill add that to my list to my other stuff.

New body. Maybe some wheels (well those aluminum wheels you gave me will probably do) and maybe a light kit and this would be a good show type car. I would only do that if I were to not try to race it.

You can buy some of the drift wheels for it, but it's not at all a drift car. Weight distribution is terrible, and the steering angle is terrible for a drifter. Just bash it man. Don't pour a bunch of money into it trying to make it something it will never be.

I started drifting with a TT01d before moving over to a used MST CS chassis as those started to get popular. You'll hear a lot of people tell you it's not worth it as RWD Chassis are so cheap nowadays. I can't remember what my MST RTR cost me that I bought a few months ago but it was only like $300 OTD if I'm remembering correctly and it drifts pretty well, granted I don't use it.

But I spent quite a bit of money on my TT01 building it into a drift car. Locking blocks are pretty inexpensive, you could glue them as well. But it'll also drift just fine with the diffs as they are with a set of drift tires.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/option-parts/rc-tt02-diff-locking-block/

The torque steer will be noticeably worse as it'll drift a lot easier in one direction than another. Shaft driven drift cars don't really exist anymore for a reason, and even back in the day it was advised to stay away from them because of this.

In a couple weeks, Ill get a new pinion gear and solder new wire to one of my old Titan motors and see how it compares to the tamiya motor.

Anyone know the turn rating on that torque tuned motor?

Tamiya Torque Tuned 540 motor vs Traxxas Titan 550 12T motor. 🤔

I also have that YR 13T motor. 1 turn lower than the titan so probably not much faster.
The torque steer will be noticeably worse as it'll drift a lot easier in one direction than another. Shaft driven drift cars don't really exist anymore for a reason, and even back in the day it was advised to stay away from them because of this.
Ah so thats why I see most AWD TCs have belt drives?
Just bash it man. Don't pour a bunch of money into it trying to make it something it will never be.
Yea. I might take it to the track to see how it is but if I do get into racing it. It will be hundreds of bucks down the drain. And TCS is pretty competitive from the videos and rules I seen.

Ah so thats why I see most AWD TCs have belt drives?
Basically, it's hard to fully explain but yeah. It's much more noticeable when drifting than just normally cruising around a track but it's definitely noticeable especially if you get the opportunity to drive yours back to back with a belt driven car.

Just googled it up. Mine likes to go to the right alot when on the throttle. Ill take it out today after school to adjust the servo trim and center the servo. After that and if it still does it its definitely torque steer.

Back