Broken Piston,What to Do?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lt.Doomsday

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Broke the Piston/Connecting Rod For My DuraTraxx Max. ST in Half. the piston got stuck and went up too far in the Head and that in turn broke the connecting rod in half.had to get a thin screwdriver and push the piston out of the head.

this sucks.i haven't taken it out much cause of the weather and driving around,i pull it out today and this happens.

so,what should i do?
1.Head to the Hobby Shop i bought it from and tell him to send it off to get fixed.
2.Go though DuraTraxx instead of Hobby Store
3.Get a Piston and repair it myself.

for most of the options you mentiod, itll cost you about 30$ for a new piston and sleeve, and around 10 dollars for a new con-rod. IMO getting the parts yourself thru a place like tower hobbies online (or if you want support your LHS) is the best and cheapest way to go. replacing those parts that are broken require only basic mechanical knowledge, pateince and a steady hand are all thats required...and a keen eye on keeping dirt/debri out of the crankcase. even yet..you must make sure any and all broken con-rod peices are cleaned out of the case and bearings..were they can easily lodge into and come out later when the engine is spinning 30k+ rpm.

alternatly, if you want to spend about 90$ you can get a OS .15 cv-x, or something similar of much greater quality and power than the duratrax engine. really biting the bullet and going with a new mill would be the best choice..if you can afford the extra cash.

kinda strapped for cash,wish i could get a stronger and better mill.
so far i'm gonna need:
Piston Pin
Connecting Rod
Cylinder/Piston Assembley
i still need to take it apart and clean it up,so maybe their could be damage to the CrankCase.

i called up the LHS and the guy has a Duratraxx Evader with the same problem i have.

i took apart the motor and it seems everything is ok.i found shavings laying in the bottom of the crankcase,cleaned them out and tomorrow going to call up Tower Hobby.i pulled off the recoil starter and unwound it,but got it back together again after about 5 tries.

make sure while you have the engine apart to use some denatured alcohal (get it at ace hardware..cheap) and drown that crankcase and drain it over and over....gota make sure all shavings are out of the engine. afterwards add a good amount of after run oil in to the bearings and case and install the new piston/con-rod then the sleeve. make sure to not let anything nick/ding/scrape the edges or inside of the piston/sleeve while installing. and also make sure that if the con-rod has a small oil hole in it make sure to install the con-rod with the hole facing to the front of the engine, towards the output shaft. trust me its all very easy to do, and afterwards its pretty rewarding to make it run agian on your own.

BTW watch out for those tiny little c-clips in the piston holding the wrist pin! i put my hands inside clear plastic bag when i take them out so they dont fly away into space lolz.

actually i got half of the motor apart{starting from the starter back} and used carb cleaner get clean the motor,but i can't seem to get off the nut holding the clutch shoe off.how could i get it off?

thinking about it now,i didn't see a c-clip.it's prob. lodged in the crank

Last edited:
it lives!!!!!!!!!
my help from my dad{taught him some stuff along the way}it just ran for about 15 minutes.got new dirt works tires for the back.still got some work to do on the car,but that is minor stuff.at least it runs,nice heavy cloud of smoke.

Back