1/18th Losi Mini Desert Truck Questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

{RCS}MacGyver

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all!

I am hoping getting back into the hobby and finding that the information and availability of things has kind of changed on me as time went by and I had to stay out of the hobby for a bit. Please note, I started off by buying some stick packs, and a battery for this little dude. My thought was despite time going by, they would all start and run just fine since I stored them nicely............ like just add new batteries and go....... well:

So I am re-doing all of my RC vehicles. I have many, but currently I would like some help with this 1/18th scale Losi Mini Desert Truck, and it came with a Losi combo ESC and Receiver unit. I seem to be having issues, the steering servo randomly does what it wants and when it does that it will not show any green light as if the transmitter told it to operate. It also shows that it randomly receives signal from its Losi radio (by showing the green light). In testing, I used a separate steering servo that showed the esc receiver is sending a poor erratic signal to the steering on both. So I figure the steering servo original to the little dude is good.
I then attempted to use the radio to do throttle and it does respond sometimes, again seemingly erratic which is confirmed again on the green light on the combo unit, which I must also say has one plug in for the steering servo, 2 wires to the motor, and an antenna, and a white plug that goes to a BRAND NEW 7.2V 6 cell 1750Mah NiMH battery made to fit in the truck.

I have unplugged the 27 MHZ crystals and all that checking connections and such, no changes in its behaviors.
That being said, I think I need a new transmitter, receiver, and ESC and if possibly to get it in a combo unit.

If you have made it this far, please help me to understand that I am at the end of my check over process, and have identified the right bad parts, and if that is so, PLEASE help me with parts that would work to fix this little guy. I don't want to drop a bunch in it but I am 30 in on the battery, and the truck is in great shape. It was barely used when I had it but would be perfect for the kids to start on in the shop.
I am in the US and don't have any hobby stores unless I travel 150 miles one way sadly.

If it isn't worth the effort, let me know that too, maybe I can use this battery somewhere else......... the plug is a white 2 pin, nearly square.

Thanks!!

Welcome.

I'm not at all familiar with the Losi, but last year I upgraded the electronics in my Associated RC-18MT with a Hobbywing 1625 ESC and a 2.4 GHz radio/receiver from Jenny's RC... they have basic systems from both Spektrum and Traxxas at very reasonable prices. Amazon has Flysky and Dumbro basic systems for a reasonable cost too.