Best way to store 35 lipos?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fair enough n nice boat the amo can is right next to the door for the same reason throw it faster than anything can transpire or at least that’s the theory and of course mandatory guard cats

View attachment 163722
What's the names? I got a female like the one outside. Her name is Boots.

Fair enough n nice boat the amo can is right next to the door for the same reason throw it faster than anything can transpire or at least that’s the theory and of course mandatory guard cats

View attachment 163722
Put you some oven mitts there too, just in case.

What's the names? I got a female like the one outside. Her name is Boots.
The one outside is mama if you couldn’t guess she’s mom lol one one the amo can is lipo his twin is amo the girl are cuddle butt and misser but 99 outta 10 times it hey you pain in the …
Put you some oven mitts there too, just in case.
True but in all honesty n I’m not dogging on myself but biggman sits there so he’s right next to it bc I don’t know if I’d have the clearest mindset if something did happen especially after the fire or if I’d freeze that’s my choice and part of the agreement for owning lipos again

I am going to add this. As to whether or not the lipo's started the fire, or something else did is purely speculation, but, what isnt speculation is that before, i didnt always take care of them the way i should have, and, even though i know no plan is completely foolproof, my plan this time around is to be way more cautious with them. Last time, i admit i was, at times, careless with them. For example, i would charge them the night before i planned on using them, then, just toss them loosely into a cardboard box in the living room, and, about the only time they even got near a bag was when they were being charged. I have also taken care to mark these with a date, since, the last ones, some of them were 3 to 4 years old, and i never really put much thought into them at all. I also take the time to inspect each one after every run, and make sure they are properly storage charged. The one thing i am sure of is that none of the ones we had showed any signs of puffing, but, a couple did have cases that were scratched and scuffed. I know the ammo can isnt a perfect solution, but, given our situation, it was the best i could come up for now, same with the bags. They were more to insulate the batteries from each other than anything else. If the lipo's were the cause, its a really expensive lesson to learn, which is why now, i take the time to tell as many people as i can about it, that way maybe someone who was like me and didnt know any better, will learn from our experiences, because, one thing we know for sure is that, even if the lipo's didnt start it, they definitely made it much worse, since, at the time, i had at least a dozen of them, all just thrown in a box together, and, the front half of the house, especially the living room and kitchen, the damage was much worse than the back half. When the house was being demolished, we did find a few things that survived, one of which was a plastic model of the General Lee from Dukes Of Hazzard, from the late 80's that was in the very back of the house, in a corner, inside another box, and, even though the outer box was damaged, the plastic that sealed the model box wasn't touched at all, and, the HDD's from my gaming computer still work, and, so do the cameras i use to film my RC stuff. I actually used one today on a tripod for the first time, just to see what happened, and it seemed to work perfectly, but, everything in the front half of the house was ash, and, it got so hot in the front half of the house, that it melted three aluminum bicycles that were on the porch into puddles. It got so hot in the front half of the house, that the nearly new metal shed that was just off the porch partly melted, so, the front half of the house, according to the fire inspector, had to be 1500 degrees or more, for there to be that much damage. The part that, after everything settled down, months later i was able to look back on in amazement was with the HDD's from my computer, the General Lee model, and, the key to my Durango. Our bed was maybe 5 feet from where the model was, and about the same distance from my Gaming computer, and that even though the springs were somewhat melted, the key to my Durango, which was literally right next to the bed, the plastic melted into a heart shape, but, the key was still functional to the point where i drove the Durango with that key for like 3 days after the fire, since, because it didnt have a chip in the key, and her Escape did, was the only thing that would start after everything settled down. Her son collects Hot Wheels, and Matchbox cars, and, even though the packages were damaged, more than 80 of his cars survived with absolutely no damage to the cars themselves, so, he had me help him make a shelf to put them all on in his room in the new house.

This is just a small sample of the Hot Wheels that survived:

IMG_20230416_014314513.jpg
IMG_20230416_014359883.jpg
IMG_20230416_014406742.jpg

And, this was the front of the house after it was over:

IMG_20220613_072818883_HDR.jpg

So, it still amazes me that anything survived.

Last edited:
I am going to add this. As to whether or not the lipo's started the fire, or something else did is purely speculation, but, what isnt speculation is that before, i didnt always take care of them the way i should have, and, even though i know no plan is completely foolproof, my plan this time around is to be way more cautious with them. Last time, i admit i was, at times, careless with them. For example, i would charge them the night before i planned on using them, then, just toss them loosely into a cardboard box in the living room, and, about the only time they even got near a bag was when they were being charged. I have also taken care to mark these with a date, since, the last ones, some of them were 3 to 4 years old, and i never really put much thought into them at all. I also take the time to inspect each one after every run, and make sure they are properly storage charged. The one thing i am sure of is that none of the ones we had showed any signs of puffing, but, a couple did have cases that were scratched and scuffed. I know the ammo can isnt a perfect solution, but, given our situation, it was the best i could come up for now, same with the bags. They were more to insulate the batteries from each other than anything else. If the lipo's were the cause, its a really expensive lesson to learn, which is why now, i take the time to tell as many people as i can about it, that way maybe someone who was like me and didnt know any better, will learn from our experiences, because, one thing we know for sure is that, even if the lipo's didnt start it, they definitely made it much worse, since, at the time, i had at least a dozen of them, all just thrown in a box together, and, the front half of the house, especially the living room and kitchen, the damage was much worse than the back half. When the house was being demolished, we did find a few things that survived, one of which was a plastic model of the General Lee from Dukes Of Hazzard, from the late 80's that was in the very back of the house, in a corner, inside another box, and, even though the outer box was damaged, the plastic that sealed the model box wasn't touched at all, and, the HDD's from my gaming computer still work, and, so do the cameras i use to film my RC stuff. I actually used one today on a tripod for the first time, just to see what happened, and it seemed to work perfectly, but, everything in the front half of the house was ash, and, it got so hot in the front half of the house, that it melted three aluminum bicycles that were on the porch into puddles. It got so hot in the front half of the house, that the nearly new metal shed that was just off the porch partly melted, so, the front half of the house, according to the fire inspector, had to be 1500 degrees or more, for there to be that much damage. The part that, after everything settled down, months later i was able to look back on in amazement was with the HDD's from my computer, the General Lee model, and, the key to my Durango. Our bed was maybe 5 feet from where the model was, and about the same distance from my Gaming computer, and that even though the springs were somewhat melted, the key to my Durango, which was literally right next to the bed, the plastic melted into a heart shape, but, the key was still functional to the point where i drove the Durango with that key for like 3 days after the fire, since, because it didnt have a chip in the key, and her Escape did, was the only thing that would start after everything settled down. Her son collects Hot Wheels, and Matchbox cars, and, even though the packages were damaged, more than 80 of his cars survived with absolutely no damage to the cars themselves, so, he had me help him make a shelf to put them all on in his room in the new house.

This is just a small sample of the Hot Wheels that survived:

View attachment 163739View attachment 163740View attachment 163741

And, this was the front of the house after it was over:

View attachment 163742

So, it still amazes me that anything survived.
So hot in the front part of the house that the fridge was a literal puddle and I still have the Durango key somewhere

Still glad no one was injured. Really sorry about the loss and inconvenience.
Much appreciated like I said just stuff we just want people (ourselves included) to learn from it and stay safe

So I have a crap ton of lipos and a few are Li-ions, but same thing, what’s the best way to store them? 35 in a ammo can doesn’t sound like a great idea, my buddy said that closing it, if one sets fire it will create a bomb from the gasses, so I left it open slightly, is there any cheaper/better way to store them?

View attachment 163466

View attachment 163467
So I have a crap ton of lipos and a few are Li-ions, but same thing, what’s the best way to store them? 35 in a ammo can doesn’t sound like a great idea, my buddy said that closing it, if one sets fire it will create a bomb from the gasses, so I left it open slightly, is there any cheaper/better way to store them?

View attachment 163466

View attachment 163467
Fire proof Gun Safe!

Thanks Addict RC for starting this and to all the contributors. It got me thinking more about battery storage and safety.
I just ordered a smoke detector for my garage.

Thanks Addict RC for starting this and to all the contributors. It got me thinking more about battery storage and safety.
I just ordered a smoke detector for my garage.
What kind sorry to pipe in again but the hard wire we had we a royal pain in the … but i swear by them now

Do Lithium Ion batteries require the same precautions as Lipos?

Do Lithium Ion batteries require the same precautions as Lipos?
Lithium Ion, while they still can be dangerous - lithium is lithium, they are not as dangerous and unstable like a regular LiPo if you drain them too far, or overcharge them a bit. They can still vent, and vent violently, but you have to really abuse them to make that happen. That being said, it's best to take care of them properly to ensure longevity of the cells. Don't overcharge them, don't drain them down too far, and store them properly.

Last edited:
Remember a couple of years ago, when Samsung was getting all of the negative press because their phone batteries were catching on fire, and the airlines were not letting Samsung phones on their flights.

Those were Lithium Ion batteries, I believe most of that was caused by overcharging, but it does let you know that they can be just as dangerous as Lithium polymer batteries.

Just so we know the difference between the Li-Ion and Li-po battery chenistry. They are essentially the same except for the electrolyte.
Wikipedia;
"Lithium polymer cells have evolved from lithium-ion and lithium-metal batteries. The primary difference is that instead of using a liquid lithium-salt electrolyte (such as LiPF6) held in an organic solvent (such as EC/DMC/DEC), the battery uses a solid polymer electrolyte (SPE) such as poly(ethylene oxide) (PEO), poly(acrylonitrile) (PAN), poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA) or poly(vinylidene fluoride) (PVdF).

In the 1970s the original polymer design used a solid dry polymer electrolyte resembling a plastic-like film, replacing the traditional porous separator that is soaked with electrolyte."

Here is a great article describing the differences between Li-Ion and Li-Pol
Here is the short of it.
"Both battery types have their pros and cons. Generally speaking, lithium-ion batteries offer the highest capacities at the lowest prices. Handy if you want an inexpensive phone that lasts more than a single day between charges. Li-ion’s drawbacks are a gradual self-discharge, not that this matters too much for phones that are always-on, and the tiny, but not zero potential for safety issues.
Li-poly is slightly safer, by comparison, which is particularly important in these days of super-fast charging technology. These batteries also have a very low self-discharge level, so won’t go flat when you’re not using them. However, this comes with a higher price tag, a shorter lifespan, and a lower capacity density. Although, the lightweight nature of lithium-polymer batteries results in an overall better energy density per kg.
Overall, lithium-polymer is slowly replacing lithium-ion in the smartphone industry due to its superior safety, form factor versatility, and weight attributes in high-end and mid-tier devices. Although more affordable designs and handsets with very large cell capacities will likely stick with lithium-ion battery technology for a while longer."

One thing I wanted to add is that Li-Fe-Po (Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries have less energy density than LI-po and Li-ion making them much safer to use. Which is one reason Tesla is switcing over to this chemistry.

Just so we know the difference between the Li-Ion and Li-po battery chenistry. They are essentially the same except for the electrolyte.
Wikipedia;
"Lithium polymer cells have evolved from lithium-ion and lithium-metal batteries. The primary difference is that instead of using a liquid lithium-salt electrolyte (such as LiPF6) held in an organic solvent (such as EC/DMC/DEC), the battery uses a solid polymer electrolyte (SPE) such as poly(ethylene oxide) (PEO), poly(acrylonitrile) (PAN), poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA) or poly(vinylidene fluoride) (PVdF).

In the 1970s the original polymer design used a solid dry polymer electrolyte resembling a plastic-like film, replacing the traditional porous separator that is soaked with electrolyte."

Here is a great article describing the differences between Li-Ion and Li-Pol
Here is the short of it.
"Both battery types have their pros and cons. Generally speaking, lithium-ion batteries offer the highest capacities at the lowest prices. Handy if you want an inexpensive phone that lasts more than a single day between charges. Li-ion’s drawbacks are a gradual self-discharge, not that this matters too much for phones that are always-on, and the tiny, but not zero potential for safety issues.
Li-poly is slightly safer, by comparison, which is particularly important in these days of super-fast charging technology. These batteries also have a very low self-discharge level, so won’t go flat when you’re not using them. However, this comes with a higher price tag, a shorter lifespan, and a lower capacity density. Although, the lightweight nature of lithium-polymer batteries results in an overall better energy density per kg.
Overall, lithium-polymer is slowly replacing lithium-ion in the smartphone industry due to its superior safety, form factor versatility, and weight attributes in high-end and mid-tier devices. Although more affordable designs and handsets with very large cell capacities will likely stick with lithium-ion battery technology for a while longer."

One thing I wanted to add is that Li-Fe-Po (Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries have less energy density than LI-po and Li-ion making them much safer to use. Which is one reason Tesla is switcing over to this chemistry.
This is actually really interesting thank you

Back