Best way to store 35 lipos?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had a garage, I would stack up a wall of cinder blocks on their sides and use the pockets to store each battery. Covering the back with a welders blanket would be easy to do. That ir stack more blocks up behind them. To me, that would be the safest storage you can get.
Yeah but the fire and smoke are still inside the garage. You need to vent the gases, fire and smoke outside to prevent further damage to your garage and any attached structures.
I also think by looking at that last video that a smoke detector and the availability of loose sand to put the fire out is very important.

Don't any of you guys have bomb shelters? I hear all the cool kids are getting them this season. ;)

paranoid cold war GIF

Don't any of you guys have bomb shelters? I hear all the cool kids are getting them this season. ;)

paranoid cold war GIF
Unfortunately I'd have to take my RC cars and batteries with me in the bomb shelter thus turning my bomb shelter into a bomb if the batteries ever went south.

Yeah but the fire and smoke are still inside the garage. You need to vent the gases, fire and smoke outside to prevent further damage to your garage and any attached structures.
I also think by looking at that last video that a smoke detector and the availability of loose sand to put the fire out is very important.
If I had a garage, it would also be like my dads, with exhaust fans for when we sprayed laquer. Let em burn til the quit I say.

If I had a garage, it would also be like my dads, with exhaust fans for when we sprayed laquer. Let em burn til the quit I say.
That would be nice if it were that easy.

If I had a garage, I would stack up a wall of cinder blocks on their sides and use the pockets to store each battery. Covering the back with a welders blanket would be easy to do. That ir stack more blocks up behind them. To me, that would be the safest storage you can get.

only problem with the garage is heat... many years ago I used to store all my LiPo's in the garage inside a portable fridge thinking that was the safest and arguably best option at the time, but what I found was going from extreme cold to extreme heat and visa versa caused excessive condensation on the packs where they began to rust everywhere and I started getting premature solder failures from the rust, there is no "perfect" solution but I will definitely discourage the fridge unless you can set the temp around 70°F which my fridge couldn't go that high:

1681419506657.png

Does this also apply to lithium ion batteries?

Last edited:
Ok

Unfortunately from experience I can’t say what the best way is bc I don’t know I finally just agreed to even owning lipos again and yesterday was the first time in almost a year since the fire that I have ran one that beings said I battery per bag we have an ammo can and only have a handful of batteries so we actually have a lipo bag that insulates the whole inside of said amp can then the other bag go in that bag ext the only thing that I don’t like is that the can is inside however that is directly because of where we live and neighbors so instead as a next best thing the amp can is literally right next to the door so it can be thrown easily and of course the batteries are storage charged….. won’t lie they still terrify me and I will never forget that color orange but I like them so much more than nhim lol but please be safe and have fun

Unfortunately from experience I can’t say what the best way is bc I don’t know I finally just agreed to even owning lipos again and yesterday was the first time in almost a year since the fire that I have ran one that beings said I battery per bag we have an ammo can and only have a handful of batteries so we actually have a lipo bag that insulates the whole inside of said amp can then the other bag go in that bag ext the only thing that I don’t like is that the can is inside however that is directly because of where we live and neighbors so instead as a next best thing the amp can is literally right next to the door so it can be thrown easily and of course the batteries are storage charged….. won’t lie they still terrify me and I will never forget that color orange but I like them so much more than nhim lol but please be safe and have fun
Dang phone amo can not amp can lol

All of this makes me wonder about EV cars :(.

I store mine in charging bags inside a storage tub that I keep in the house. But I too have been trying to find a more comfortable solution to storage.

All the tests I have seen, lipo bags burn right up. Pretty much worthless. Sure glad I have some. :doh:
I agree. I use lipo bags for protection of the batteries more than fire protection.
If I had 35 batteries to store, I would make some softer material like drywall of covered concrete board to compartmentalize or honeycomb the batteries and separate them from each other rather than buy lipo bags for each battery. That can get expensive.

All the tests I have seen, lipo bags burn right up. Pretty much worthless. Sure glad I have some. :doh:
Lipo storage bags are nothing more than welding blankets, which typically will not burn up to about 1700°F. LiPo batteries burn up to about 3600°F, which is why I have never used one. To me, they are a bit of a gimmick.

The safest place to keep your lipo batteries in the summer is in your fireplace if you have one. Toxic fumes will even vent out the chimney should you have a mishap.

Ya know y’all actually make a really good point and I’ve watched a lot of testing a lot of videos and am on forums and I never once realized it down to ours were nonexistent after the fact they really are a gimmick but even still currently it does make me personally feel just a tiny bit better still want to find a better way as a whole I can say that knowing your batteries helps alot too I proved that one today

Well, look at it this way. A match burns at 700°F. Paper burns at around 480°F. So what do you call the paper? Fuel. At 1700°F, the LiPo bag just becomes more fuel for the fire. You are far better to use an ammo can to store your LiPo's than a bag. But even that ammo can will liquify into molten lava and burn any other fuel it comes into contact with. The only thing that will really withstand a LiPo burning will be firebricks, stone, concrete, etc.

Now, a LiPo only burns for a minute or so from what I have seen. So you have to think by the time it gets to full temp and is able to heat up an ammo can to the point of melting, it would probably be about done.

All speculation. I fortunately have never had a LiPo fire.

Well, look at it this way. A match burns at 700°F. Paper burns at around 480°F. So what do you call the paper? Fuel. At 1700°F, the LiPo bag just becomes more fuel for the fire. You are far better to use an ammo can to store your LiPo's than a bag. But even that ammo can will liquify into molten lava and burn any other fuel it comes into contact with. The only thing that will really withstand a LiPo burning will be firebricks, stone, concrete, etc.

Now, a LiPo only burns for a minute or so from what I have seen. So you have to think by the time it gets to full temp and is able to heat up an ammo can to the point of melting, it would probably be about done.

All speculation. I fortunately have never had a LiPo fire.
Fair enough I’m gunna go out on a limb and say more than likely if you have one maybe 2 lipos your probably right we had more and minimal security and storage in place at the time not like we do now and honestly I’ve see what they can do and everything is fuel once they go it’s all in how you handle them before and during if you get the opportunity to try and save the situation some do some don’t that’s the luck of the draw or however you want to look at it but that doesn’t mean you can’t help your chances by storage charging amo can I really like the fireplace advice I didn’t even think of that or like I said just knowing your batteries and your rigs how does your rig sounds act run behave or not behave when your battery is at LVC ext

I store my LiPo's in this toolbox. I figure if there is a fire, I can roll it outside before they are able to melt through 5 layers of heavy gauge steel.
20210807_153810.jpg

I store my LiPo's in this toolbox. I figure if there is a fire, I can roll it outside before they are able to melt through 5 layers of heavy gauge steel.
View attachment 163719
Fair enough n nice boat the amo can is right next to the door for the same reason throw it faster than anything can transpire or at least that’s the theory and of course mandatory guard cats

IMG_0600.jpeg

Back