Bad Experiences/Crashes Share them here!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i bought a shumacher menace a while ago within the 1st week i slide it side ways in a pavement snapping one of the arms off, at this point i should have realised the brakes need re-adjusting, morefool me.
a few days later i insisted on ripping it around a school yard as fast as i can, only to drive into the botttom of a basket ball net pole thing lets say it was solid matal my car stoped dead from about 40-50mph, to my horror to see bits on my car flying!!
let a lesson be know use big open spaces

also i know this is nitro cars but i bought me a battery helicopter took it out for the 1st time after been in my shed for months(winter too cold) anyway i took it up high real high realised i can't controll it it started heading toward a road next the crikit pitch i was on this road was a dual carrigeway! anyway it went to high so i decide i had to crash land it it went down about 200m from me in an over grown frield only to never be seen again it was the worst £70 ever spent.
From then iv stuck to cars and trucks n buggys u can always see them! haha

My first nitro truck.. HPI Nitro MT.. about 2 years or so ago. I was so excited showing it off to my friends, and racing it all around the street. I lived on a dead end road. And then, of course, The car set of, WOT, straight into a main road <which usually doesn't have too much traffic> and of course, timing be damned, my poor little nitro MT <less than a week old> became dinner for some Goodyear T/A Tires.... On a riced out Civic, no less...

Damage report: All tires gone, fuel tank smashed, both shock towers crushed, center spur housing and gear crushed, radio tray bent, antenna tube split in twain, shocked looked like boomerangs... and some other minor bent/broken parts

Surprises: All radio gear ok, diffs fine, chassis fine, drivetrain in-tact, all servos fine, tuned pipe survived.

Priceless: Motor was running when I ran up to it :)

Of course, I rebuilt it, and pimped it out :) and still to this day i own that truck!

I have a Monster GT and last year we were taking jumps and doing 360's off of a 20 foot drop. Landed beatifully 3 times, but the last time I rotated sideways and landed directly on the face of the front left wheel so there was absolutely no shock absorption. Both A-arms cracked, the wheel cracked, the arm mount and screw bent, the drive axle and the turnbuckle bent. Definitely the most destructive jump I have taken.

I was doing a Thanksgiving day race down in Arizona at RC Sports Mania running the dirt oval track for the very first time.

Coming out of turn 2, I cartwheeled down the back stretch and over the wall. Nothing broke, but its been the worst crash I've had. If anyone knows that track, its got a decent sized front and backstretch to be cartwheeling down.

you think i would learnt he first time.....

let g/f drive my revo again... she had it screeming towrds us and it slammed into my leg!!!

solution: bought her a r/c car from dollar tree :) j/k i bought her her own r/c truck

My worst was when, as always, i let my freind drive it. we where in the back of the houses (his house, empty house, pond) so we where jumpng from the empty houses yard to his, when i let him try (since he ask). So he made like 2 jumps turning around at the pond on onetime, he caught air when turning around, and drove nto the pond. watter was poring out of my muffler. thats the best part.

i take it , and use his blowdryer, and blowdry all the elctroncs, and the started working again ( mind you i have no fail safe). so i do a test run, and drive across the street into my yard,then i hit WOT ( HUGE mistake) and the i lose controll. the car rockets towards me, miss the tree, the the house, then shoots down the road, i go runnign after it, and it keeps dodging thngs like the matrix car house tree untill it goes thorugh a yeard, take out a yard light , and somehow i was able to grab it before it slammed into the door. so my friend offers to pay for a new reciever. so i let mine dry, and it worked, again to i tested and tested to make sure i wouldnt have the same problem, and i still use all those elctronics to this day without ANY problems (with the electronics that is)

actually, no. as soon as may car will run for more than one tank without issue i will get one.

Hah these are pretty good.

Heres my two stories.
Well like all of you said one time I let my dad drive my Yokomo GT-4, the car is fast. .18 and 2 speed. Well he was WOT and lost signal and smashed it head on to a brick wall and it hit so hard that it smashed the front end completely but the fun part was after it hit the front end jumped up and the rear tires caught traction it drove almost a foot and a half up the wall. At this point me and my dad just look at each other and stare at each in amazement.
An hour later he took me to Tommy's and we just laughed about it. So it was all good.

Second story,
Well I was doing some high speed runs up and down the street again using my Yokomo and my friends little brother is trying to be all cool and acts like he can run faster that it(yeah right) and I took my eye off it for one second and it goes straight under him as hes running and steps right on it while its going about 45-50 and woooosh lands him right on his but with this unbelieving look like did that really just happen on his face. Me and his older brother just start busting up laughing and his dad says thats what you get smart arse. Needless to say he doesn't go around any of my R/c cars anymore especially the Savage.

thats nothin i was playin with my friends brand spankin new koshyo impreza and finnished tuning the crap out of it then proceeded to whack it in to a 3 foot thick dry stone wall at full speed must be near 60. needless to say the car is un fixable and we aint such good pals now.

Mine is kind of random but was funny even for me who had to replace every broken part.

I was at my grandmas 2 hours from any LHS I was doing speed runs down her street and then messed around in her driveway. My T-Maxx had lost all rear wheel drive some how and if you driven a front wheel drive RC with a Sirio .27 at WOT you'll know what I'm talking about. The motor was running perfect. I was going WOT with front wheel drive and smacked right into a nail that holds some wood together for her garden destroyed everything almost.

Broken Parts
-Left Rear Drive Shaft
-Center diff
-Front Right Drive Shaft
-Shifting Servo
-Steering Servo
-Front Skid Plate
-Center Skid
-Rear Skid
-Right front A-Arm
-Motor Mount
-Body is torn to pieces
-Shock Shaft
-Several bent turnbuckles
-bent the frame

ok so here's mine:

So when i was new to r/c cars i had a HPI RS4 SN with the 2speed but otherwise pretty stock(yeah, way back in the day), so i was driving it one day in the summer at a local school where theirs a long road with a 90deg turn with curbs on the outside of it, well its pretty wide so i was getting some speed and could make the turn with minimum brake. so i got brave and wanted to see if it could make it at wot, well it couldn't, at all, in any way. I Hit that curb so hard it shattered everything on the right front side almost back to the rear suspension. Massive damage, broke the battery pack and the steering servo so it stuck in WOT and just spun around slamming into curbs until I stopped it(no fail safe, but i got one after that). It was a cool looking crash, didn't flip or spin or even get off the ground, just bounced off the curb. I could see it comming as it hit the wall too. but you learn.

I made the mistake of buying a T-Maxx 3.3 as my first truck to get started in the hobby. First tank after the break in, I was WOT across a parking lot, straight into a 4" tall curb. Brand new car right out of the box about 3 hours earlier. Shattered the gas tank, broke the motor mount at all 4 points, broke both rear lower a-arms, ripped the skid plate out of the bottom, shattered one front bulkhead. Needless to say, I spent nearly $100 on parts the very next day to fix a car I hadn't even owned for 24 hours. After breaking nearly everything else since then, I'm deciding to learn how to drive it well before I go all out again.

the biggest crash was wen my dad drove ma old eb4 he was showin off went under the back of a car and intoa gutter the 21 engine sounded like it was a cryin baby poor thing i just hope that i dont crash ma new savage or ma new drift car lol big air = ouch lol

I've only had my car for 5 weeks or so and the worst i've ever had was drive it into the garage door a couple of times at low speed. One time the batteries for my electronics died and it let rip wot into the very same garage door. It stopped from about 20mph to 0 in less than a second. No damage. But at a race i saw a guy with an electric go wide on a corner (no curb or anything) and there was a truck going around a corner. MASSIVE tyre plus rc = big pile o smush. Amazingly only one wheel got flattened and he had a cracked body. I couldn't believe my eyes when he reversed out from the grip of that tyre.

i broke my battery holder today! lol...i have a hyper 8 mach.28...did a lot of WOT runs and highspeed runs.. i did some huge jumps today! last jump i got some huge air landed perfectly(on sand..i bash in the desert) so i hammer the throttle but the car wont move it just stayed on idle..so i let it idle till it died.. stayed around 10 seconds...my damages today was not soo bad...broke the battery holder..just taped it up and i ruined a plug..pretty lucky today cause if the battery holder broke at wot I'm screwed lol no fail safe :p

pretty lucky today cause if the battery holder broke at wot I'm screwed lol no fail safe :p

Maybe you should fix that part. I'll ship you a failsafe if you can't get one. LOL Because once you install it you will never need it. :)

The worst time I have ever had was when i have a Duratrash (duratrax) Street force. I bought the thing off craigslist for like 150 with a OS 12 cv-r in it with pretty good pop. I loved the thing, Very fast and was a blast. well I had been driving it and was making some WOT runs down my street and it hit a little rock and went WOT right into a cement block head first!! I get over there and the front of the rig is bent up nearly in a 90* angle and my cooling head is coc-eyed. After taking it inside to examine it more i found out that I ripped the screws out of the cooling head and snapped the con rod in the engine a long with bent the chassis, cracked the servo, fuel tank both front tires and more.

But on the bright side, I have only owned MTs since then.

Last edited:
Great stories guys , gave me a laugh, I'm getting my nitro on my bday 9th dec, and I'm sure ill be adding to this soon.
I mean, my mate was driving my old rc 2day and he crashed the bloody thing doing about 10kms..
I'm not letting him drive my nitro, but if somehow he gets that controller, i feel ill be posting in this thread with bad/posibly funny news