Bad Experiences/Crashes Share them here!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My story also starts with a "i made the mistake of letting my friend drive it" that is the worst thing to do. To date i have not let anyone drive it except my brother who owns 2 just like me. Anyways it was a rustler my friend started off good then decided to WOT even though i gave him specific instructions not to well he turned right into a curb luckily it was also a tad bit rounded. It flew 4 foot straight up making the loudest noise ever cuz the muffler parted ways with the coupler. To my surprise that was the only thing that happened along with a destroyed front guard. Now here is where it got funny and ultimately sad. I started her up and gave a few laps on the road then started being aggresive on WOT the throttle servo broke in half ( was broken from the curb impact but I didnt notice) so it WOT and I have steering still I'm trying my best to keep her under control it hits the curb at an angle and does a sideways flip in the air and landed back on the wheels (that actually looked awesome) it wheelies and then i turn, it rolls again lands on the wheel then i try one last turn to save it from a fence. The fence was a chainlink and was old and leaned over with warped supports the rustler hit it at an angle and caught the most air i have ever caught with a rc it actually rolled all the way up it and gained another 8-10 foot of air landed on cement and broke everything on the left side....looking back now that was the funniest 40 seconds ever with a RC but I was so pissed at my friend at that time and to make it worse he was laughing big time...so I got revenge a few weeks later and slept with his wife when we were drunk...don't mess with a man's rc, break it, and then laugh....
You are sooright about not letting newbies drive your rcs. So me and my firend are out and he was anoying me so bad about driving my car so I was so fed up that I let him. There was a 1/2 foot jump at the end of the curb and after a couple of passes I let him jump it but only at LOW SPEEDS. So he backs up and he just let the thing go at wot for the whole way missed the ramp just about hit me and went wot into a brick step. At impactthe right front went 4 ft in the air but my revo was still running. The damage report was 1 shattered wheel hex, destroyed wheel, and a bent tie rod. And the best part was he didn't even offer to pay for the parts.

WOW, if thats your worst wreck, you are doing really, really well.

Another bad one for me happened just last night. Got a little to cocky with a cheap RC helicopter I picked up from a toy store and sent it right into a ceiling fan on high speed. Surprisingly enough, only one of the blades broke off.

Yours fared better than mine. Had too many :beer: one night and decided to fly the little guy outside. (in the dark!) Sent it into a puddle and it wont take a charge since.

As for car wrecks:

Nitro stampede + half throttle - RPM bumper + curb= this:

415995043_81719f3b47_o.jpg

415995070_dd094bce04_o.jpg

Worst part is I had just picked up the RPM bumper from my LHS, but didn't put it on because I wanted to get a run in before dark.

Last edited:
that is harsh m8 how long have you had that stampede?? Looks in better condition than mine even broken!lol

Only bad crash I had was abt 3yrs ago, I was racing my Losi xxx-nt had the other racer by 1.5 laps when I took a jump nose to high and landed on my passengerside rear tire SNAP! My son picked up my truck the A arm just hung needless to say I didnt win the race but still had fun.:hehe:

that is harsh m8 how long have you had that stampede?? Looks in better condition than mine even broken!lol

I had it for about 1 week when that happened. It was the 1st tank after the break in.

It looks like this now:

471801879_ed126fca48_o.jpg

i suppose I'm lucky then compared to you lot. I have being racing nitro/electric for about 5 years now (i'm only 15) and the worst thing i have ever done is fried a manual speed control. I was at the track and did a few laps but not knowing what i was doing (just starting the hobby at that time) i accidently wired it up wrong. Anyway a few laps in thick black smoke comes from the body, a bloke runs grabs my car and runs outside another bloke follows with a fire extinguiser and me and my dad follow behind. All that happened was a fried manual speed control (which i was replacing anyway) and a fried reciever, surprisingly the battery was fine.

The worst nitro experience i have ever had (and is nowhere near as bad as yours) is dumass me thinking failsafes are plug and play type things, so i put one in start the car and run about. A few minutes in i decided to test the failsafe (stupid move 2 was i didn't hold the car or anything just left it on the street) so i turned off my remote and to my horror the car shot up the street and i immediatly turned it back on and held the brake (only just missed a concrete wall) the car was fine but for some reason it scared the hell out of me and i went in shaking LOL!

monkey man needs to post up his story about his meeting with the neighbors mail box!! he has a way with words!

edit: found it!!

Today was the first time in just over two months I've had to burn some nitro. Between working about seven days a week and weather, I just hadn't the time to break a rig out and run it...until today! Left work a little early, weather was awesome (about 70 degrees and sunny) and happened to have the Savage on the charger.

Get home, break out the gear and off I go. The HPI 4.1 starts up like it had been run yesterday and even though I hadn't run the Savage in probably close to three months, the beast ran like a top! Never had to touch a needle!

Run a tank through rolling around the yard and doing some jumps off my little homemade ramp. Then temptation walked up in the form of two skate rats from down the street.

A couple nice young men that live down the street had been skateboarding down the street and had their ramp out (one of those nice skate ramps). They see I'm out with the Savage (yes, that is my real name) and asked if I would take a crack at jumping the Savage off the ramp.

I act as if I'm doing them a favor, but obviously, anyone in this situation would jump at both the opportunity to jump off a great ramp AND show off! Take a few slower speed jumps and the two young boys are impressed.

I then decide, it's time to really floor them. I take the Savage back a good twenty feet or so and start winding it up. The monster clicks through all three gears like clockwork, the RPM's climbing up and the Monster Joe's digging at the asphalt. Just before approaching the ramp, a rogue pebble lifts the front, left wheel up just enough to alter the approach angle.

BOOM!

Up the ramp and to the left the magnificent beast is launched! Scratching for altitude, the Savage heads...right...for...my...neighbor's...MAILBOX!

KKKRRRAAANNNNGGGG!

The Savage hits the mailbox straight and true! The mailbox goes sailing, ripped mercilessley from it's moorings! The wooden 4x4 support structure lists limply to the right, a clear victim to the brutal impact of this R/C monster.

The Savage is unscathed, actually landing on it's feet and sitting, idling, waiting for the next run.

The two young boys stare, jaws on the ground for a good twenty seconds until one pipes up, "Man, my Dad is going to be PISSED!"

I run back to the house, dig out some 3" wood screws and repair the carnage my monster has caused, all the while smiling and thinking, "How flippin' cool was THAT?"

Sweetdiesel, you build one tough rig, my man! Be proud!

Last edited:
Here's a good crash I posted on here a while ago:

I was driving my wide nitro pede this afternoon. After a few full speed runs down the street I decided to do a full speed run up the sidewalk and into my yard. Only problem was we have (well had now!) one of those cheap volleyball/badminton nets set up. I hit the plastic post for the net at full speed with no time to even think about braking. The truck survived with no damage whatsoever, or so I thought... I neglected to see the splintered piece of the decimated post that had made its way between my clutchbell and spur gear. I ran for about 5 seconds and suddenly had no more go.

I really wish I had footage of it. The post splintered everywhere, and I seriously thought my wife was going to skewer me with the shattered end!

couple stories, either my truck or my friends truck

first one, My friend and i, friend who i recently got involved in rc, he bought a brand new Savage X SS, anyways. we like to do down to this heated parking garage, yes its under ground. Under an art museum infact. So we go down there and run our trucks, do some hard concrete bashing, set up a course sometimes in between/around all of the pillars. So its me(sean), Jake(friend with savage) and a couple of our other friends who love our trucks. this happend back when jake was still pretty new to driving his well powered savage. so jake's driving around. lots of high speed stuff. next thing i know. i see the truck drive straight into and under a newer ford taurus. so of course its still running, run over to it to pull it out so he can keep running. truck was wedged under the ford, truck drove away with maybe a few scratches on the body, ford sat with cracked/broken splash guards. aha! oh by the way..an idea on how fast he was going, we upgraded him to the 3 speed after 7 tanks, and he was in 3rd gear going 3/4 throttle, well he said 3/4 throttle. but who knows. I had to slide my back under the front bumper of the ford to lift up the front of the car in order to slide his savage out. so yea, savage drove away un broken. Savage 1 car 0

heres another Jake wreck, well it was Jake's boss but this was his truck. jake's boss was driving his savage, they were out in a big parking lot behind their work place. so Dan(jakes boss) wants to go fast, jake says no, dan begs, jake says ok take it up to 3rd gear and then get on it. so dan does, and its coming back at them at this time, so its getting closer and closer, and its WOT, so jake goes, STEER STEER STEER!, dan being unexperienced, yanks on the spektrum 2.0 wheel, truck flies of to the right, and right into and under a brand new Lexus. Jake told me the savage left 2 big scratches on the rocker panel where the front body clips dug in. Savage broke this time. front right shock took a blow, cracked the shock cap along with blowing it of, 2nd right front shock took a hit to, didnt crack the cap, but did manage to make it pop up 1 thread on half the shock body. body sustained 2 nice torn holes in the hood portion, upper mounting srew for the front shocks is bent to hell, and the outter shock mounting hole on the shock tower is stretched like no other.
this crash jut happend today (5/18/07)

alright so now how about a wreck involving my own truck, my revo.
So me and jake, and some of our friends are down at the parking garage again bashing. first itme both of our trucks have ran together down there. my truck is running awesome, OS .18 tm with a THS pipe. so I'm ripping up the straights, getting in some 2 wheel action. Brakes dont seem to be working quite as well as they use to. just not as strong. so I'm doing some adjusting here and there from my dx3.0 and gettin use to and such. take a speed run, and Jed, one of our friends is drivin a nylint around. pretty much playing chicken with me. so I'm heading back toward us, and i see Jed start driving the crawler towards the middle of my path. so i swing wide. i lock up the brakes. truck slides into my roto start,temp gauge, and fuel bottle. sending everything into a wall at like 30mph, god dang OFNA fuel bottle didnt even lose a drop of fuel during this! woot go ofna bottles. so alright. truck slams into the concrete wall, imediatly i hear the sound of my engine running straight from the header, no pipe. so i shut it down and pull the body. oh no. well i smashed into the wall with the rear of the truck, crimping my os header, tearing my coupler in half and bending my rear shock tower support. so I'm done. today i threw in my sisior .23 since it has its own header and all. ordered 2 os .18tm headers. picked them up today. .18 will be going back in soon.

so there are 3 stories for someone to read..

enjoy

monkey man needs to post up his story about his meeting with the neighbors mail box!! he has a way with words!

edit: found it!!

Mate that story was amazing!lol The way its told was well funny!

Keep them coming people there wicked!!:celebrate3:

Never let your mate (who is a newbie) run your vehicle. Just when I thought I might be able to get my mate into RC, he smashed my Mugen MST-1 into a tree stump after the long straight. He also went off the track, sending my MST flying 1m high and into a garden rake leaning on a tree. It's a track record since we don't have jumps that could send a vehicle that high in the air. Apparently he has the "as long as I'm not injured, who cares" mentality. People at the club were amused at the sight though (and amazed at how tough the MST is)... my poor MST ended up with broken front end and bent turnbuckles. I'm not going to let him drive ever again.

Its really hard not giving in to there pleas!

the ammount of time iv heard "go on let me have a go, please! I wont crash it! Honest!!" Then next thing you know your beloved car is in 50 pieces after almost hitting a dog, its owner, and scaring the sh*t out of her kids! Trust i learnt the hard way!lol

very true for not letting others drive it, i let my girlfriend give her a go and 3 seconds later she smashed it into a sidewalk, i said ' ok thats enough for you '' i was lucky nothing was broken ,

lol.. i let my g/f drive my revo.. slammed it into my leg.. the body sliced my ankle open and the engine burned me....

then i was driving it and i was drivin it at me and drifting n front of me.. she got scared and jumped in front of it and fell on it.. unfortunately i didn't have the body on it and it burned her leg.. it was kinda funny though

so for mother's day I took Annette(my wife) and the kids to Galveston to spend the day on the beach.

We rode the ferry across to Crystal beach, drove about 15 miles down away from the masses and set up our stuff. Had a great day, the winds were calm, the ocean was very calm and the water was unbelievably clear. You could see your feet and the ground in waist deep water. To have a little fun I took my RC cars to play with on the beach.

The kids had a great time making me a track complete with sand jumps and everything. I had been running my Revo 3.3 for a couple hours and drew a small croud of passerbys that stopped to watch. (a few chicks in bikinis)

Well I decide to break out the Mugen 5R and really have some fun. I was flying around the track slidding sideways just having some good ol fun.

Well as I'm coming out of turn 2 my radio must have glitched or something because all of the sudden the buggy went full throttle and I could not stop or steer it!!!! It was freaking hualing ass and it was headed straight for the ocean!!!!! within seconds I start to panic, frantically working the controls hoping they would catch. NOPE! At full speed, right at the waters edge, it hits a mound of sand, LAUNCHES about 6' in the air and about 15' out INTO the ocean. It was like slow motion in a movie. I saw my little buggly flying through the air then disappear into the water.

I freaking took off running as I'm stripping of cloths and I make a running dive into the water around where it hit. I see it as I'm swimming under the water and grab it. Come up and walk back to where everyone was. It was toast, saltwater just pouring out of the exhaust, gas tank, and engine.

needless to say I got condolences from the croud as they walked away knowing I was upset and holding their kids ears as explicits poured out of my mouth. LOL

aww mate I feel your pain!

Any chance of getting it going again?

Thats the worst when your showing off pulling out sum great jumps then it all goes lemon! Did you not have a fail safe!?

well I have a failsafe and didn't realize it! :dumb: I didn't know the spektrum had it built in and did not set it. I sure hate learning things the hard way! Anyway I got everything cleaned up, lost both servos so I installed two new ones, and completely took the motor apart and cleaned it. Last night I finally got a chance to fire it up and it started right away!

The only thing is that it's running really bad. I suspect it's got some air leaks from taking apart the motor. I need to find out a good way to reseal the back plate, cooling head, and carb.