Back on the Pedals

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The shop I ordered a bike through informed me there was an issue with shipping. They did offer a free rental for this weekend, but I decided to just wait. I should have it this week. Tuesday is what I was told. We will see.

The shop I ordered a bike through informed me there was an issue with shipping. They did offer a free rental for this weekend, but I decided to just wait. I should have it this week. Tuesday is what I was told. We will see.
Bummer!

My new handlebar, from the slow boat from China, should be arriving today, according to Amazon tracking.
This much wider bar will be replacing the narrow bar, which was a trend in the 90's. I find myself getting fatigue in my triceps and always wishing I could widen my arms. I'm pretty sure it has also has to do with getting older as well 🙄

Got out for an after work ride yesterday. Happy to report of no mishaps or carnage.
The nearby, small trail system I ride is a densely wooded area, therefore gets pretty bad with flying, biting bugs once they all fully emerge. But, for now it's been excellent riding conditions: low bugs, low heat, and low humidity. It won't last much longer though with summer coming right around the corner. Gonna enjoy it while it lasts.
Sounds great! Just ride faster - bugs can't catch you that way. Close your mouth though ;)
Bummer!

My new handlebar, from the slow boat from China, should be arriving today, according to Amazon tracking.
This much wider bar will be replacing the narrow bar, which was a trend in the 90's. I find myself getting fatigue in my triceps and always wishing I could widen my arms. I'm pretty sure it has also has to do with getting older as well 🙄
Wide bars and short stems are where it's at. Wide bars alone give you a lot more leverage over your front wheel position, allowing you to place and control your front wheel more accurately and with less effort. Also feels way more confidence-inspiring for jumps and technical sections

Consider a shorter (I'd go for a ~40mm) stem too - the '90s had super long stems, like 90mm+ :O

CF6E4487-AF15-41A4-B217-3F0D7106B17B.jpeg

NBD…It’s a Giant Fathom 1. I rode it down my driveway and back up the street and about died. I’m going to have to work up to trail riding. I also can’t believe how fast it got rolling down my driveway. It’s the first bike I’ve owned in 16 or 17 years since my mom donated my last Mongoose. It’s not super fancy, but it’s by far the nicest bike I’ve ever ridden.

View attachment 166170

NBD…It’s a Giant Fathom 1. I rode it down my driveway and back up the street and about died. I’m going to have to work up to trail riding. I also can’t believe how fast it got rolling down my driveway. It’s the first bike I’ve owned in 16 or 17 years since my mom donated my last Mongoose. It’s not super fancy, but it’s by far the nicest bike I’ve ever ridden.
Congrats, that's a sweet looking bike! Liking that copper color, too!

Don't forget the shin guards 😆

View attachment 166170

Sick rig! The F1 is a capable machine, hope you like it! I'd recommend a couple really-nice-to-uave upgrades, goes for just about any bike - get a set of better grips and pedals. I do this on all bikes that I've owned, stock grips and pedals usually suck, partially because companies expect a lot of riders to switch them out for their own personal favs.

I'm assuming you want to ride on flat/platform pedals - get something like the Race Face Chesters, or just Google "best MTB flat pedals under $50" and such, and get something from a brand you recognize. No need to buy super fancy pedals, even like $25 will get you decent pedals.

For grips - these are contact points (grips, pedals, and saddle) so it's super personal. Definitely get lock-on grips though, and get something name-brand so you know it was at least tested. I personally use the PNW Components Loam grips (bonus - they're founded in my home state!), great stuff. Other than that, air up those tires, set your suspension fork, and go rip!

Sick rig! The F1 is a capable machine, hope you like it! I'd recommend a couple really-nice-to-uave upgrades, goes for just about any bike - get a set of better grips and pedals. I do this on all bikes that I've owned, stock grips and pedals usually suck, partially because companies expect a lot of riders to switch them out for their own personal favs.

I'm assuming you want to ride on flat/platform pedals - get something like the Race Face Chesters, or just Google "best MTB flat pedals under $50" and such, and get something from a brand you recognize. No need to buy super fancy pedals, even like $25 will get you decent pedals.

For grips - these are contact points (grips, pedals, and saddle) so it's super personal. Definitely get lock-on grips though, and get something name-brand so you know it was at least tested. I personally use the PNW Components Loam grips (bonus - they're founded in my home state!), great stuff. Other than that, air up those tires, set your suspension fork, and go rip!
Race Face Chester’s are installed. I will upgrade the grips, but the saddle is way to narrow I think, so that’s priority one. I was looking at the Loam grips though I think. I like the color selection. What do you think? Lime green accents with the orange or teal/cyan?

Race Face Chester’s are installed. I will upgrade the grips, but the saddle is way to narrow I think, so that’s priority one. I was looking at the Loam grips though I think. I like the color selection. What do you think? Lime green accents with the orange or teal/cyan?
Oops my bad! Seems like you and I thought of the same parts 🤣

Can't help on saddles - I'd recommend going to your LBS and asking them, possibly trying some.

I have the Loams in their Pacific Blue: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1004628977073274901/1086898176008663041/20230318_163534.jpg

Accent color wise...it's all about your preference. My fav color is blue, so I threw those blue grips and pedals on my rig. I personally don't like the Loam's lime green that much, I think the Safety Orange, Really Red, or the Seafoam Teal would go well. Down to your pick though, and I'm not artist 🤣

https://www.pnwcomponents.com/products/loam-grips?variant=40010487201869

Do you want an accent color that stands out (go with the green then) or do you want a more subtle/matching accent?

I love the ODI TLD lock-on grips. ODI has been in the grip game for a LONG time, and my grips are still great after six years.

https://www.odigrips.com/products/odi-troy-lee-designs-signature-series-lock-on-mountian-bike-grips
ODI is a great grip brand, they don't seem to get that much press attention though! Before I chose the PNWs, I was considering some ODIs. Ergon is the big dogs though. You said that you've been running those ODIs for *SIX* years?? They haven't worn out yet? Impressive

Didn't know that ODI had a TLD collab, pretty neat

NIICE always good to see someone getting back on the pedals!!I had to switch from 2 wheels to 3 after a couple bladder cancer surgeries, but have been adapting OK.. bike is heavier, extra wheel = 50% more rolling resistance , the recumbent position sucks for climbing hills, and there is no "soft pedaling " on a recumbent as your legs are in front of you instead of under you so there is no weight of you legs to do some work for you .. Long story short, I will be on this for a season or 2, but can not wait to get back on the 2 wheeler.. I have been getting faster on it.. first outings this year were around 10 mph avg speed over 20 miles. My best thus far on the trike has been 25 miles with an avg speed of 15.8 mph. I have decided my favorite thing to do on the trike is pass e-bikes..
20230225_123631.jpg

NIICE always good to see someone getting back on the pedals!!I had to switch from 2 wheels to 3 after a couple bladder cancer surgeries, but have been adapting OK.. bike is heavier, extra wheel = 50% more rolling resistance , the recumbent position sucks for climbing hills, and there is no "soft pedaling " on a recumbent as your legs are in front of you instead of under you so there is no weight of you legs to do some work for you .. Long story short, I will be on this for a season or 2, but can not wait to get back on the 2 wheeler.. I have been getting faster on it.. first outings this year were around 10 mph avg speed over 20 miles. My best thus far on the trike has been 25 miles with an avg speed of 15.8 mph. I have decided my favorite thing to do on the trike is pass e-bikes.. View attachment 166360

I’ve always wondered what it would be like to just cruise around on one of these. Glad you’re still able to participate in some way, though!

First trail ride today. Stayed on the greens and took it easy. Stopped to take a breather and a drink a few times. I’ll get there!

DD617E28-B53B-4217-8C9C-16ED026EFE30.jpeg

C6374C60-A498-4289-A162-2956F2F3722B.png

NIICE always good to see someone getting back on the pedals!!I had to switch from 2 wheels to 3 after a couple bladder cancer surgeries, but have been adapting OK.. bike is heavier, extra wheel = 50% more rolling resistance , the recumbent position sucks for climbing hills, and there is no "soft pedaling " on a recumbent as your legs are in front of you instead of under you so there is no weight of you legs to do some work for you .. Long story short, I will be on this for a season or 2, but can not wait to get back on the 2 wheeler.. I have been getting faster on it.. first outings this year were around 10 mph avg speed over 20 miles. My best thus far on the trike has been 25 miles with an avg speed of 15.8 mph. I have decided my favorite thing to do on the trike is pass e-bikes.. View attachment 166360
Cool ride!

Glad to hear you're on the mend!

View attachment 166170

Awesome bike.
I can't compete with the distance you guys ride but for me, I am thrilled
44.81 miles so far this spring.

First ride today in over 18 months. Kinda fitting it was with my brother. We had a great ride, and man is it good to be back in the saddle!!

lQArMoA.jpg

grs3LD9.jpg

Wlc3xXO.jpg

dpcNM2v.jpg

is6UhJg.png

dflU8he.png

Also, apparently I like my pre-ride music loud LOL.

N0dmJTN.png
Sounds like a blast! Puns intended 😉

I haven't been out since my last post. Been kinda busy with life stuff. I need to install my tow hitch onto my new Subie, and also the new wider handlebar. Probably won't get to it until this coming weekend 😕

First ride today in over 18 months. Kinda fitting it was with my brother. We had a great ride, and man is it good to be back in the saddle!!

lQArMoA.jpg

grs3LD9.jpg

Wlc3xXO.jpg

dpcNM2v.jpg

is6UhJg.png

dflU8he.png

Also, apparently I like my pre-ride music loud LOL.

N0dmJTN.png

Looks like an awesome time. I love seeing a friendly snake out in the wild. They’re amazing for something that has no arms and legs.

I get so many of those decibel notifications, but the headphones I use (isotunes), only go to 85 and I’m never even maxed. The phone doesn’t actually know. I wish I could turn them off.

Yesterday, me and my dad were going to go on a ride. Got our bikes out of the shed. And his tire was completely flat. We tried to fill it back up. And 3 minutes later it is flat again. Took the wheel off. Took off the tire. Note: It is the stock tire that has been on there for 6+years. And we figured out the inner tube was leaking. So we went to Walmart. They had a inner tube so we got 2 of them and 2 of them for me just in case. Went back home, We had to start dinner so we did that. And went back to work. Got the new inner tube installed. We also had a new tire sitting in the shed so we installed that. Got it all back together around 7:30 so it took us about 3 hours. Lol. First time changing an inner tube/tire. Next time since we know what we are doing, it should take 30 or less minutes. After, we went on a bike ride around the neighborhood. Planning on going bike riding more to get outside more and exercise. Me and dad haven't played tennis in a long time so we might do that sometime this week.

Back