Fish tank pics...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup! Crabs and a sandy bottom LOL, has actually been a standing joke in the house since it started...

I got the bug back and spent the day yesterday cleaning up and rearranging my tanks. I got all the dirt out of the 20. Just got sick of the algae from all the nutrients. So here we are. Cleaned up and rearranged my 10g betta tank. I also got 3 peppered corycats for it.
20141114_163637.jpg

Then, I got some more fake plants for the 20. The left side is very empty because I'm trying to revive a plants that's probably just dead.
20141114_171111.jpg

For this tank I was deciding between a large quantity of 1 type of fish like bloodfin tetra or neon or something, but I ended up thinking about doing tiger barbs, keeping a single angelfish with rasps, or getting bolivian ram cichlids. I went to the lfs and they had one pair of rams left. I was watching them there and just went ahead and grabbed them. I think I may have ended up with a mated pair straight from the store. They never leave eachothers side and exhibit some behaviors I've seen on youtube that resemble mating behavior. Plus it's a territorial fish and they're showing no aggression. Well find out later.
20141114_164546.jpg

20141114_171701.jpg

20141115_120747.jpg

Here's a short clip I took of the rams.

Last edited:
That all looks awesome! Those rams, my gosh what pretty fish! I have been looking at those every time I go into the pet store, really been contemplating getting a couple. Just yesterday I went down and picked up a Yoyo Loach (white w/ black stripes), and almost got a ram too as they were being kept in the same tank. That video is cool, they seem really smart!

I'm sitting way back watching them so they can't see me. They're dancing around eachother. It would be so cool if they're a pair. I've tried to sex, but both seem to be male. Everything I've seen says 2 males won't really get along unless you have 2 territories set up.

And thanks. Yours does too.

From what I know about fish if it is all males in most circumstances there would be tension. I watched a couple videos on these fish and it seems tough to tell. I guess your best bet would be setting up the perfect habitat for them to 'want' to reproduce, then if they are opposite sexs they should think about it rapidly..

Watch them to see if one tries to impress the other..

I don't know a bunch about these as I am just now getting into these types...

You might find info here useful.. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+889+1084&pcatid=1084
I usually start here when reading about fish..

They mention dense plants w/ swim space, and the female will want to lay eggs on a smooth rock possibly inside one of the dense plant areas..

Last edited:
They literally stay side by side and the larger one gives these little bumps on the gill of the smaller one. Along with them dancing around eachother constantly. The gill bumping is what I saw in another video about they're behaviors.

Do they both dance or is it more one going around the other? Sometimes males will dance around the female, sometimes even aggressively enough so it is like the male is herding the female to sit in one spot as it does circles around it.. From the sounds of it I would lean to the idea that they are opposite sexs. I would make some plant areas more dense, like that corder where they hang, but leave a space in the center of any dense plant area where you can put some small rock, then put your temps at 79, I would bump that up to 81-82 if eggs and further birthing starts to happen...

If you had some stand, like 3-4 legged that you could surround in plants, and then put some more plants on top making a plant based cave with their egg rock in the center... Make them a romantic suite and see what happens lol..

I was trying to find an example and I found a ram tank lol... It is not the best, but as far as caves I would go for something more plant, real or fake based versus a hollow log or something. I think they need a half open half closed type of area, where a hollow log may be too enclosed. And you want something with over hang so there is 'roofing' so to say which is where my legged stand idea cam to play where you you build some type of hutch roof out of fake plants to provide cover. Just enough to feel safe, not too much to block out the light. Make your operation plenty visible so you can observe mating and birthing processes...

Caves_Plants.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I decided to go for a sandy gravel mix and redo the tank. They're happy so far. They come out and see me when I get home now. I can't wait until they get really comfortable.

20141119_135552.jpg

Looking good grg!

SNG, I bought a 5.5g top fin starter kit from petsmart a few days ago because they were on sale for 25 bucks. I was planning on using it as a quarantine tank for hatchets on my 20 because I keep reading that they're very prone to disease, but after seeing your 5 and doing a bunch of looking at picos, I think I may just say screw it and get it going with salt. I figure I'll use a spare aquaclear 50 for flow and as a mini fuge. I can use the little 10g filter it came with and run some carbon and have a little extra flow if I want to. I've just got to quit being scared of salt and do it. I may go buy salt and get it running tomorrow. Don't know whether or not I want live rock or dead rock yet, and I'll work on lighting while its cycling. I got one of those aqueon glass hoods for my 20 and it's great. The evaporation has gone down so much. They make them for the standard 5.5's so Ill get one of those to help with my daily top offs. I'm thinking it would probably be just an invert tank and add some softies later once I get the hang of it.

I'm gonna sell a NanoBoxReef Eco led setup, its full spektrum, will support softies, lps, sps and clams. They are recomended for 12g and under. This is my 5g with it on. They are $200 new and I've used it just around a month. Gonna ask $150 shipped. I actually won it on nanoreefs but need the money worse and am using some different led's now.

019.jpg

On live or dead, it depends. If you can get the live rock and make sure you keep it in water, dont have it out any more than around an hour so it has no die off, then get it in tank and go ahead and cycle, you would be good. On dead rock, if its dead live rock, it will have alot of stuff in it that will make your cycle longer and it will leach alot of phosphates. You can soak it in 50/50 bleach (non scented) water for a couple days, rinse it really well, then soak it in dechlorinated water for a couple days, then in fresh water for a couple days and it will be good to start a normal cycle with, shouldnt have any phosphates at that point. You can use baking soda as a dechlorinate. I've done this a couple times.
The rock in the middle sticking out and the rock on the far right side I just did this too a few weeks ago then added them.

ATTACH]
002.jpg
[/URL]

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 46
Wow. Those tanks look so good. I went to the store today and bought 5lbs of dead rock. It is bleach white so I'll go ahead and soak it. I bought a bag of aragonite and a couple other things. I can make the tank run with what I have now. I'm going to get one piece of live rock to seed it.

Also, last week I put a bag with gravel from my 10 in the 20 for bacteria. It has finished cycling best I can tell as I never really saw an ammonia spike or anything drastic. The rams are loving life. They're coming to the surface for food now, and I also added 4 silver hatchets tonight. The rams were so curious.

Looks like a nice light by the way. I was just going to try softies at first. I don't want to get too invested in it just yet. There's a couple you get get for a pretty good price on ebay that were doing well with softies. I forget where I came across it. I've looked at so much fish related stuff lately.

Last edited:
Sweet! can't wait to see it going.

Well, I have it up and running. The more I read about the reef saver rock, the more I realized how bad the phosphate problems can be, so I bought some cured rock from the LFS. Of course I don't know how cured it really is. Either way the tank is wet.

20141202_133304.jpg

20141202_133332.jpg

Sweet! Glad you finally took the plunge.

Man those tanks are beautiful. If they wasn't so much work and upkeep I'd like to have one. Just don't have time for them though. :(

Thanks Woodie. I can't wait till mine starts to get some coral in it and really starts poppin'.

Thats aiptasia bro. AiptasiaX is worth having on hand. They always seem to come back some where else in the tank but it kills them for a while. All reefers get aiptasia at some point, they are hardy little bastards.

Back