New small rc plane review- a Good One!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edfrombama

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Good morning and Happy New Year to all-
Well, I have just about all of the different microwarbirds commonly purchasable, and I truly enjoy them.
However, I got a wild hair and ordered an XK A 300 Beech Staggerwing biplane. This plane is considerably bigger than the micros, but it still comes in a friendly ready to fly format.
This plane requires a little bit of assembly, but it's not terribly complicated- pretty simple and straightforward. the instructions which are somewhat translated from the original Chinese are a little bit helpful, but mostly amusing to see how the different words and terms translate- or don't- from one language to another.
Anyway, the plane does go together and brothers, this is a lovely looking airplane.
So I charged the batteries up and took her out this morning for the maiden flight. Take off was a bit slow and uncertain, but the plane soon got its feet under it, and I'll tell you all, this is one gorgeous little plane in the air. On the basic "protected beginner" setting, this little biplane flies smoothly and very scale-looking in the air. I have not tried the advanced aerobatic settings yet, and I may not. this little plane doesn't look like a plane to slam around the sky. It looks like what the real plane was- a smooth flying, gentle handling biplane. figure 8's are gorgeous.
This plane lands a little hot, but it is not hard to land- you do need a good amount of landing space.
One thing to be careful- when loading the battery into the plane, make sure it goes up into the battery bay at the nose of the plane as far as you can push it. If the battery is not far forward, the CG is off and it handles badly.
So here's my New Year's review- this is great little plane.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Pics? Please. Staggerwing is a handsome airplane. Enjoy seeing an image or two of your latest purchase and flying adventure. Weather holding o.k. for winter flying?

Oh, and Happy New Year to you and yours as well. 'AC'

Pics? Please. Staggerwing is a handsome airplane. Enjoy seeing an image or two of your latest purchase and flying adventure. Weather holding o.k. for winter flying?

Here are some pics of the new plane- it really shows up in the air- Ed

plane 2 (1).JPG

plane 2 (2).JPG

Good evening to all-
I bought this plane from e-bay- it costs about 130.0 not too bad. It comes in yellow and red-your choice.
There are a few reviews online- just look up XK-300 Staggerwing.

Good evening to all-
Well, friends, I took the new yellow plane out for a flight this afternoon. Perfect conditions- low or no wind, so I flew a few circuits around my flying field and got her up pretty high. I pushed the "off control" button to see what would happen. As I thought, when not in control level, this plane is very awkward and hard to control- not pretty at all. So went back to level one controls and the plane went back to smooth, graceful flight. I brought her back, lined her up down the hard surface road that is my landing strip, and got a perfect, smooth, not even a bounce landing. Friends, i do like this yellow plane.

Nice looking plane, especially for that price. I wonder if its possible to bind my own transmitter to it without changing the receiver?

Good morning to all-
Well, Fellers, I liked my yellow Staggerwing so much, I went and bought the red version. It arrived yesterday and I assembled it and this morning took it out for a little test run. I must admit, I do enjoy the slow, stately take offs these biplanes produce, and the red plane flies perhaps even better than the yellow one.
The one problem I have found with these planes is the propeller. these planes do not have the break away function of the micro warbirds, so a hard landing can break the plastic prop, and it is very hard to find replacement props. I've ordered several replacements from a seller in the Orient- we'll see if they arrive and it they're correct.

AeroFrog- I have no idea if these biplanes will bind to another transmitter- I have a perfectly good Spektrum unit that would probably fly these planes even better than the transmitter that comes with the set. I'd be interested in knowing if the binding to another unit can be done.

You all be safe, keep well, and keep warm- Ed

Good morning to all-
So early this morning I took this little yellow biplane out to my flying field- I enjoy seeing the bright nav lights in the early morning- looks pretty cool, it does. I was flying the biplane in the usual sedate level one control setting when just for the heck of it, I switched the controls to the higher level/less controlled setting. Fellers, I was surprised and pleased.
When out of the self-leveling setting, this little plane does a very creditable loop, and will also fly inverted for an extended period- under complete control. And it will do an outside loop coming out of inverted flight.
Who would have known this calm looking little old biplane was also an aerobatic plane, too.

Life is full of surprises.

Back