My new HK Baja

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
really considering getting one of these this summer. i have been lookin over this thread and comparing prices of things, and it wouldnt be much diffrent getting one of these in comparision to the brushless revo or savage flux. i have a couple questions about it tho... lol.

do you need a fail safe with a rig like this?
and what kind of run time do you get from a tank?

I dont have one.

Run time, I dont know, a long time. Seems like when I think its gonna be time for fuel, its only down half way.

If I had the money upfront, I would have gone with a brushless revo or savage, still would too. These are cool for how big they are, but thats all the coolness they have imo. If it wasn't so damn expensive, Id go brushless on it.

i am now torn.... a large two stroke rc or a medium sized brushless rocket.... readily available gas with mix or dealing with batteries.... just when i thought i had decided which one i wanted you chime in with that SNG.... decisions decisions... lol

Mines actually kinda annoying me, it sputters on top end and I've gone through all of it and not been able to fix it. I'm hoping to get a different engine and hope that works but even though its easy to work on, its still no electric. Batteries dont bother me at all, buy extras :D

Its easy to talk poop about it when I've not driven it for few days lol. They are fun, theres no doubt about that. But not as fun imo as a brushless basher.

Last edited:
Wow that HK is nice, is it identical to the HPI baja?

Its actually a Rovan, which is a HPI clone. HK sells it as a HK but its a Rovan, says Rovan all over it. As far as I know the only real differences are brands of engine and the parts have a different finish on them. Theres no issue at all with durability, these things take a beating.

How are the engines comparable?

I've got scalers on my brain and I've been browsing around and looking at the Losi five T, and both HPI baja 5sc and 5b. I’ve never used one so I’m not sure what the difference in handling characteristics between the truck and buggy, but these Rovan models have got my attention only because the price and they are interchangeable with the HPI models.

I think the engines will all be about the same as far as performance and size, a 26cc HPI will prolly be the same as a 26cc Rovan, king motor and so on. The 26cc has alot of power. But theres also 32cc Rovans available (ebay), so you might wanna check them out. The ebay ones come with everything, including servos.

I'm not one to keep anything stock, I was looking around for a roller with no luck. I was looking at those OBR engines and they look sick. I don't think I want to spend a grand on a rig and replace parts, but I'm not familiar with the rig or I wouldn't mind piecing one together little by little. Are there any IPB's on the web so I can see all the parts?
What would it take to piece together a roller without engine/exhaust/servos/electronics?