Where are all the MGT owners????

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chances are the reason your engine isnt running right is because it is not sealed. do a forum search of engine seal or something like that or read the rc newbies guide in the rc nitro talk section. as for the 22 mph, the transmission is a 2 speed so 22 from first gear is alright. however if the truck is not shifting into second there may be a problem. all of your problems are setup and driver error not the truck. associated would not build a 500 dollar truck and have it be a piece of crap.

Well so far i have read alot that says that some of the stuff that comes from Associated is really crappy. I have found at least 10 others with that problems that I'm having. I've never heard of sealing a motor til now. I'm not all that new to RC by far. I dont think many of the problems are driver error though. Mostly setup from the factory i would agree on. I've lost bolts because i didnt loctite them from the package (but the thing was brand new), i guess i was thinking why would i have to do that. I never had problems from my traxxas RC (guess i also have a preference for traxxas since that was my firs RC manufacturer that i had experince with lol). Gimme a quick rundown on the sealing process would ya? Was gonna send it to Associated but i have to pay shipping there and back so screw that. I have an RB C5 circuit that i never used so i guess i will think about poppin that thing in the truck and just sending the motor to Associated. Will be easier on the pockets ya know. I think that i should also say that besides the stuff that is wrong with this truck, i like it. The size of it and the weight of it. I have found faults with everything that i have owned, just not as many all at once lol.

Last edited:
Here's Mine, not been run for over three years.

side.jpg

top.jpg

rear.jpg
Good lookin truck man.

problems are most definitely a part of the hobby.

agreed, but not in the same context. These particular problems, shouldn't be problems out of the box.

not a single manufacturer that i know of seals the engine.

other than CEN, not a single manufacturer in the 1/8 scale uses a nitro motor as big. not a single one of my other glow engines NEEDED sealing as badly, right out of the box. The larger motor leaks like a sieve. Its a good mill - but should have been built to closer tolerances - you've probably taken one apart, so you know exactly what i mean.

that is a responsibility of the owner. also, mast cars are built by someone who would much rather be at home watching tv. they are not going to take the time to adjust every little detail of the vehicle to make it the most perfect thing since sliced bread.

No one is saying perfect. We're talking usable. Out of the box - the mgt 8.0 should be more usable. I dunno if it was a bad run of QC or what - but i had similar problems with mine, as have many people. We eventually get it running well, and its IMO the best MT out there... but the savage, various traxxas rigs, and even redcats didn't need as much attention to pretty basic items as the mgt did.

that is a responsibility of the owner. you are right that once these little issues are fixed, he will have a great truck. it is just the owners responsibility to deal with the setup and tuning things that the manufacturer can't do for you.

Tuning - sure.. I'll agree with that since elevation, temperatures, and etc can all vary.. but as for setup.. well - why can't the mfr. do it for you? Its not like the transmissions, engines, carbs, and other parts are wildly different from #100 to # 500 that roll off the line... they are all the same (or should be). Set the torsion shift correctly and it'll have repeatable results. The motor? we'll agree to disagree - but out of the box, too many of these 8.0's have needed attention that other major makes haven't. why is it they can get it right but ae can't? And little things like the right documentation for the stock needle settings for break in is just silly.. why bother including it at all if it is to be wrong?

I just got my MGT 8.0. Out of the box its a very good truck, I feel second only to Losi XXL.
I have only had it for about a week and I almost have a full gallon through it lol. I run it every day for hours. The only problem I have had with mine was the learning curv. It’s my first nitro RC, and only about my 10th time ever running a RC. So I had to learn how to control its power. I took it to my local track, and beat the crap out of it. I did break a shock arm, and my stock shock caps. But I don't blame the truck, I blame myself for driving the truck above my own skill level.

I couldn't be happier with my MGT. I know things on it are going to break. I know I'm going to put some money in it. That's just the way things work in this hobby. So if your looking for perfection, try a new hobby. The MGT 8.0 offers allot for the money, and has many hob ups available to it.

I was going to buy the Losi XXL, as I still admit it’s a better truck out of the box. But even if I got the Losi, things still would of broke, and I'd still be dumping money in it. I ran with a guy who owned one. He was at the track the same day I was. As far as performance goes. The only thing it did better than my truck, was turn corners. The stervo system, and the tires are a much better setup for the track. But I had more power and if we hooked up, I bet I could pull him. Even he was impress with my truck.

So I stand by my truck, with an un-bias opinion.

Glad to hear you like it!

Did you say you only have one tank of gas through it, but you were out bashin it at the track? I've always noticed that proper break-in procedures will make you enjoy the rig a lot more! I have a 4.6, and very glad I did the break-in properly!

Try not to have too much fun!!!

Pyro

Glad to hear you like it!

Did you say you only have one tank of gas through it, but you were out bashin it at the track? I've always noticed that proper break-in procedures will make you enjoy the rig a lot more! I have a 4.6, and very glad I did the break-in properly!

Try not to have too much fun!!!

Pyro

lol no, I said I have almost a gallon through the truck. It goes through a tank of gas in like 8 mins if you ride it hard. lol

My MGT 8.0 Is bad ass, I'm the only one I have seen at the track run one. On the straight away, That thing kicks up dirt on all 4 tires, and shoots past those little revos and savages like nothing. But when it goes to turning... It rolls like monkeys in a barrel lol.

I love it!

But when it goes to turning... It rolls like monkeys in a barrel lol.

maybe you should put some whhels on the barrel ansd then it will roll in the corners.

lol
don't feel bad
thats alot of the monster trucks big and like to roll in the corners

I would the problem is the 23mm Hexas that are on it. I herd you can get 17mm for it. but I don't know how that works. I would think they would be to small to fit on it.

I would the problem is the 23mm Hexas that are on it. I herd you can get 17mm for it. but I don't know how that works. I would think they would be to small to fit on it.

how the heck would the hex size contribute to the truck flipping? lol.

The truck flips because the stock suspension is soft - meant to absorb bashing jumps. The stock tires have big soft sidewalls for dirt climbing traction and added cushion for jump landings. the truck is also sat up nice and high so the center of gravity sits high.

Get some bigger wheels with a lower profile tire while keeping the overall diameter close to stock.( Also - stick with the stock hex - if you downgrade to 17mm, you will be rounding out your wheel hexes constantly - the truck is heavy and the motor is torquey. MOST aftermarket wheels however will require you to get a hub adapter (still 23 hex, but larger diameter hub and screw set for the wheels - there are some good aluminum ones out there for the MGT.) - i used CEN 7.7 wheels, which needed an adapter, but fit, otherwise. Their O.D is a little larger than stock, but the sidewall is less than an inch, and is stiffer compared with the thick stock tires.

Next - add some stiffer springs... either progressives, or red/gold/etc for stock shocks... or the appropriate stiffness if using a whole new shock body and spring.

Next (if keeping stock shocks) - some heavier shock oil will help ALOT.

Lastly - lower your ride height slightly by taking off the preload spacers (especially when you move to a stiffer spring)

Any single one of these changes will drastically improve the rollover of your MGT... all of them together - I can enter a turn at full speed and full throttle, and unless i've caught some air or something - the worse that happens is a spin out. I won't claim it handles like a sport RC, or even like a good short course.. but its tons better than stock.

In total, if you shop smart, you'll spend about 50.00 and get an amazing (for a monster truck) handling mgt. It won't beat a good short course truck on most tracks (which are designed with smaller scale, stadium trucks, or SC trucks in mind) because no matter what - its still a 15lb beast dragging ass around a track, compared to 5-10lb rc's normally) - but you'll greatly reduce the rollover problem

Last edited:
New to this forum as of today, glad to see all the MGT owners speaking up.

Have owned an MGT for about 7 years back when all they had was .21's
swapped engines 3 times now, never really like the associated engines so have changed to different brands throughout the years. I am working on a new paint job on a Proline chevy body. also building my 11 year old daughter a MGT from spare parts, and painting her a proline vw bug body.
Pics as soon as i can.
Nice to be here

how the heck would the hex size contribute to the truck flipping? lol.

Not sure where you learned how to read... but I never said the hex is the reason the car flips..... ever...I said the hex is the reason why I can't find different tires. I know why the car rolls. I never asked anyone to tell me why...

New to this forum as of today, glad to see all the MGT owners speaking up.

Have owned an MGT for about 7 years back when all they had was .21's
swapped engines 3 times now, never really like the associated engines so have changed to different brands throughout the years. I am working on a new paint job on a Proline chevy body. also building my 11 year old daughter a MGT from spare parts, and painting her a proline vw bug body.
Pics as soon as i can.
Nice to be here

Nice to have you

your post followed a post that brought up rolling, and your lack of punctuation made it seem as though you were offering that as a reason for said rolling.

I'm sorry if I offended your rc competence. If you want, i can bring my MGT over there, and we can tie a tow-strap to your panties, and maybe pull out the wedgie that has been bothering you :D

Not sure where you learned how to read... but I never said the hex is the reason the car flips..... ever...I said the hex is the reason why I can't find different tires. I know why the car rolls. I never asked anyone to tell me why...

Nice to have you

Last edited:
I'm sorry if I offended your rc competence. If you want, i can bring my MGT over there, and we can tie a tow-strap to your panties, and maybe pull out the wedgie that has been bothering you :D

Now thats funny right there!:hehe:

I am new to this site and just got back into the nitro scene. I bought a new MGT 8.0 and love it. I had the OG MGT when they came out. Sold it when i lost interest. The new MGT is a complete beast. I had some tuning issues out of the box with regards to needle adjustments being stiff (almost felt like pulled threads in the carb). I removed the carb, dissassembled it, and found that all the orings were dry! I used some dielectric grease and re assembled with great results. Its now broke in and running on 30% nitro. I have some buddies who all have Revo 3.3s and they dont stand a chance when it comes to bashing around. I just ordered some RC4WD Rock Smashers (8.25" tall!) with some axial beadlocks. That should curb some of the wheelie tendencies and give me some needed top end, along with additional ground clearance.

This forum is dead, where are all the MGT owners at ??? :shrug:

theres a reason y people dont have them much because their engines are to strong for the drive train it breaks your diffs

theres a reason y people dont have them much because their engines are to strong for the drive train it breaks your diffs

If you set your diffs up properly, you will not bust them up. The cases are plastic and if tightened too much, they bind the ring and pinion. Use locktite on the nuts that hold that case together and snug each bolt individually. Check the rotational friction of the pinion with each bolt tightened down until you get an evenly tightened case without any bind. Also, shimming the pinion, if required will go a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunom97

What kind of nonsense is this?
I have have had an mgt for around 10 yrs
Never busted a diff because the engine was to strong
Busted many diff from running into trees and fence post, but that can't be blamed on the engine or the truck!

New Owner

I just got an MGT 8.0 in february due to not taking a week of vaction(double bonus) and i'm dying to break it in. Before I break it in i have a Tmaxx 1.5 with an OS 18CVRX that i'm almost done breaking in and then I have my Savage XL to break in. I have to say I was very impressed with the stock radio gear. Very easy to use and also to program.

I've never broken a diff, and I bash pretty hard. I've broken most other stuff, but not a diff.. :shrug:

(watch me break a diff my next time out lol)

Back