What boat to buy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHICKEN LEG

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well guy's, I now have the land (Savage) and sky (Blade CPP) covered in the RC world. Latley, I have realized that I don't have anything to run on the water behind where I live. It's considered a creek, but there is a rather large and deep area back there, so now I want a boat. I have no experience with RC watercraft though, so can anyone recomend a good boat? Nothing over $300 RTR.:constipat

Traxxas Villain IV.
Twin motors, twin props, twin batts, 1 ESC, and steerable outdrives.

If you want the nitro version, look into the Nitro V. More expensive, of course.

I had the electric villain IV, and it was a fun boat.

Boat1.jpg

Boat2.jpg

Boat3.jpg

That's a custom made water cooling system that doesn't come with the boat, but everything else is stock.

Yeah, I saw your thread on that. The question is; does it fit the 300$ budget?
Also,I can hardly keep my Savage from stalling 100% of the time, so I think I'll stay away from nitro, and I'm not going to swim in that creek to retrieve a stalled boat. Nobody knows excatly what's in there, if you know what I mean.

That's the reason I got the electric instead of the nitro V.
I'm now working on a 40" Catamaran that getting a brushless. I just don't want to go nitro with a boat. Most of my planes are nitro, but if they stall in the air, you can still float them in to a perfect landing. Stall a boat and you're "in deep".
The Villain IV will be in your budget, the Nitro V won't.

Well traxxas has a return to shore deal on there nitro V so if it did stall you wouldn't worry about anything. I'll give you some links of a couple electrics tough http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ1273**.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEWL2**&P=ML
And this is the one that I would recommend the most, over what you said but with tower you can split up the payments. This boat is wicked fast and faster then it's nitro parter.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ1542**

Thanks for the links. I just checked Tower and a few other sites, and unless you score on Ebay, the Villain IV is discontinued, and Traxxas has replaced it with the Villain EX.
I've seen how the 'return to shore' system works, and you'll no longer need a boat to rescue a stalled nitro.
By throwing the throttle stick into reverse, a motor flips onto a gear on the prop shaft and the battery will drive you in.

How does the marine nitro work? I mean how does it get air and still be waterproof?

My friend is selling a Nitro Miss Budweiser, which they dont make anymore. The thing is brand new and he still have the box and everything for it! He needs to sell it because hes getting back into Trucks and Truggys. I will get pictures ASAP if you are interested

Thank you for the offer Red, but I want to stick with electric.
I noticed those are all "V" hull boats. What are the advantages of a "V" verses a "Cat" hull or "hydroplane"? Has anyone tried the Blackjack 26 brushless cat?

Last edited:
rolex, they dont carry villian IV anymore. so those of us, (woo hoo) were able to get em, lucked out.

How does the marine nitro work? I mean how does it get air and still be waterproof?

air holes. lol

Thank you for the offer Red, but I want to stick with electric.
I noticed those are all "V" hull boats. What are the advantages of a "V" verses a "Cat" hull or "hydroplane"? Has anyone tried the Blackjack 26 brushless cat?

V hulls and "deep" cats are good for water that may be a bit choppier, also for the less experienced boater. Hydro's barely tough the water at full song and probably aren't the best for a beginner boater. Also, Hydro's by nature are based on 1:1 race boats which are designed to turn right only. R/C hydros will turn left but even with adjustments they still don't take a left like they take a right. At least that's what I've read. Maybe somebody with some real experience can chime in.

Thats why i dont have one, because i flip too much. It has to have some kind of vent to let in fresh air.

But they still have a carburator that has to take in air, if not the engine would not run.

They are vented to allow air to get inside to the engine.
Just like the big boats, if you don't keep the shiny side up, you have a problem.

So if I get a boat with a chrome hull, I guess either side will work. (J/K)

I wouldn't get a nitro boat for your first boat. Rather gas or electric. I prefer gas more because more top speed, no charging batteries (besides servo battery) and you can make most of the parts that you need.

Back