Went racing on saturday!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

untchbl

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So I traded my savage to 4u2nv for his rc10gt since I had the need to go racing. You know I'm kinda new to this hobby, and probalby only had 3 tanks of driving the gt under my belt before I headed off to the track.

I entered in 1/10 sportsman truck, along with 12 others. After my heats, I was qualified 5th in the a main. This was without even finishing my two heats. One due to a very late flame out, and the other due to losing a damn wheel nut. lol

So They raced 6 in the b main, wiht two advancing to the a main, and 8 advancing to the a. 15 minute race. Pitted twice, and mangaed to stay on the lead lap. finished 3rd overall. :D

I like this racing thing. :D

Now I'm just looking to refine the little rc10gt I traded for, and get some good practice under my belt.

Brandon

well thanks. I'll be back out practicing tomorrow!

I'd appreciate some tips and pointers if you guys have em. :D

Brandon

CONGRATULATIONS! I'm also in my first year of racing and have done pretty well, I'm proud to say. Just make sure you run the right tires for the track and make your vehicle as reliable as you possibly can. Seems like about half the field drops out due to breakage or engine problems, so if you can avoid that, you're halfway there! As they say, to finish first you must first finish!

Other than that, practice as much as possible, get familiar with the vehicle and the track, take it slow (crashes take more time than driving slower and avoiding the crashes in the first place), and don't make changes to the setup unless you really know what they'll do or you can really tell the difference. I've found it's better to become really familiar with how a car drives and adjust my driving style to suit the car first, then start to make changes after really looking into what those changes might do.

Have fun!

Yes congrats as well, I've been to the track 3 times w/ the inention of racing, but have yet had the chance due to car/track problems. I'm racing my Savage SS once I get some time to. I was gonna race my hpi rush, but I decicded to stop spendin money on that thing, and try and get a hold of a 1/8 buggy, RC10GT, or a RC10 T4.

1/8 buggies are awesome to race! They handle so nice, great traction, great speed....just point and shoot! But stadium trucks are definitely more of a challenge and require more finesse. Both are a blast, though.

Ya, I've gotten pretty good w/ stadium trucks over the years, I just need a race-worthy one. lol.

Hmmmm, I'm almost thinking I'd rather go with a losi! May I can work a deal to get you a rc10gt roller! :D with ton's of hop ups. :D I can't stick with one thing for to long. lol. I do like the rc10gt though. Just think I might enjoy the losi more.

I'm trying to learn to be smooth, and so far my reliability problems have come from the damn starter box, more so then the truck it's self. I did manage to finish the A main last week, with only one flame out, and that was due to me allowing it to load up on a pit stop.

Brandon

Losis are very good, many say they're better racers, easier to drive well. I got one last month with that mindset, but it's got more steering than the GT and I wasn't used to that, then I took my GT out and won the Sportsman class 10 days ago so....I'm sticking with the GT! I guess it just suits my driving style.

But if you have the opportunity, try both and see which one works better for you.

I may just try that. I don't have any complaints about the gt, aside from the lack of sterring. I do hear alot of people say that the losi's are not as durable, but thats usually just a matter of opinion. It seems to me the losi's are more geared towards racing the gt's. Of even the mugen's for that matter.

Brandon

The steering difference is definitely noticeable! Of course there are things you can do to dial in more steering with a GT or dial some out with a Losi.

The GT is a relatively old design, but it keeps winning! I'm not absolutely sure Losi and Mugen are geared more toward racing, but the GT does seem much more suited to bashing then the others. But that doesn't mean it's not a good racer. I do like the fact that you can get RPM products for the GT to make it nearly bulletproof.

I hear ya on the rpm stuff. My truck is fully outfitted. I may just stick with it and learn it. :D

Brandon

Congrats man racing is a different monster then just beating around! Its fun, just remember sometimes slower is better.

I can vouch for that! I've been beating vehicles in my Unlimited Monster Truck class and Sportsman Buggy class with much more powerful engines than mine because I just don't crash that much. They blow past me on a straight, then traction-roll in the corner or tumble after a big-air jump and I just motor on past. I love it! And the less you crash, the less likely you are to break your truck.

Ya, losi's are definatly not very durable, as long as you land flat tho, ur ok.

Thanks guys. Will see. I so far way prefer racing to bashing. I am even really considering selling the monstergt, to focus on racing more.

Brandon

I always considered myself a basher, but bashing requires more and more places and jumps and higher and higher, etc. That gets expensive! But racing is always a challenge even if you go to the same track over and over again. It can be stressful at times, but it's worth it.

Back