In the market for a new RC car - Tamiya TT02 Subaru Impreza Monte Carlo, or XV-01 Lancia Delta?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 4x4 SCT will certainly be more capable off-road than a 1:10 touring car, but they tend to be more expensive too. That might be better later down the line.
that's why the Rally would be such a great rig! SCT based, replacement parts every-freaking-where, and, it looks nice.

that's why the Rally would be such a great rig! SCT based, replacement parts every-freaking-where, and, it looks nice.
This is definitely more than I planned on spending, however it does look awesome! Just confused about the scale. Is it 1/10 or 1/8?

This is definitely more than I planned on spending, however it does look awesome! Just confused about the scale. Is it 1/10 or 1/8?
The Traxxas rally is technically 1/8 scale (like most SCTs), and SCTs (or SCT based rally cars) are noticeably better off-road. After my attempts at "rallying" touring cars, I just use them on dusty pavement.

The big caveat with the Traxxas Rally? It uses a clipless body mount system, so aftermarket bodies won't work without extra parts (on top of an already expensive car), they also try to lock you into their overpriced batteries.

The Fazer uses a Deans connector, which is a common very connector that makes it easy to find batteries. It also uses traditional body mounts.

Last edited:
If you want to build the ultimate Rally then any 4WD SCT would be ideal.

The highest quality you can get on the market today is from TEKNO where they offer a 50% lifetime warranty:
https://www.teknorc.com/warranty-repair/

Here's their SCT410 2.0 which was recently released and TEKNO has always offered support for their legacy platforms making them the best basher out of any brand on the market hands down:
https://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr9500-sct410-2-0-1-10th-4x4-short-course-truck-kit/

I have a build thread here on the older .3 platform to give you an idea of what to expect from TEKNO:
Here's a video of my TEKNO with a Fiat Ritmo rally body on it:

I got the body from DeltaPlastikUSA where any 325mm body will fit standard 1/8 buggy and 1/10 SCT platforms:
https://deltaplastikusa.com/collections/1-8th-rc-bodies

They also have a Lancia which you expressed interest above:

View attachment 179711

Here's my TEKNO SCT410 with the Fiat Ritmo:

View attachment 179712

View attachment 179713
I knew posting this would ultimately cost me more. But then I can use this body….

https://www.littohot.com/products/1...t-959-body-325mm?_pos=16&_sid=8c32e7841&_ss=r

u could use that body no problem! just hook up some of the body mounts from the XL-5 rally and ur good to go!
there's also some sick inner fenders and 12S brushless systems..... 🤣
just make sure that what you buy is what you want. personally the Rally is on my future list of cars to get. its just i think i need a real car more....

I have a XV02, XV-01, TT-02, and TT-01, (along with 2 Traxxas 4tec 2.0's and an HPI Sport 3) all setup as rally cars. If you want to stick with Tamiya then the XV-02 is the best. Once you get a body of your choice it does cost more, but it doesn't need any hop-ups, it already comes with bearings, oil filled shocks etc. The TT's are only really good for on road use even when decked out. The Traxxas are much tougher then them all but need suspension and shock modifications for off-road use. I have also converted both a Short Course truck and 1/8th scale buggy to Rally cars and they are beasts, but look kinda fuggly because of the dimensions. The Traxxas Fiesta Rally car is a good option too if you want a bigger car. It is based on the 4x4 slash but the arms are a bit narrower to give it a more realistic appearance. You will not have any body options though because of the size. Just make sure you get the brushless version if you go that way. Then of course there is the HPI WR8 and Cen M-Sport Rally cars, but $$$$.

Last edited:
I have a XV02, XV-01, TT-02, and TT-01, (along with 2 Traxxas 4tec 2.0's and an HPI Sport 3) all setup as rally cars. If you want to stick with Tamiya then the XV-02 is the best. Once you get a body of your choice it does cost more, but it doesn't need any hop-ups, it already comes with bearings, oil filled shocks etc. The TT's are only really good for on road use even when decked out. The Traxxas are much tougher then them all but need suspension and shock modifications for off-road use. I have also converted both a Short Course truck and 1/8th scale buggy to Rally cars and they are beasts, but look kinda fuggly because of the dimensions. The Traxxas Fiesta Rally car is a good option too if you want a bigger car. It is based on the 4x4 slash but the arms are a bit narrower to give it a more realistic appearance. You will not have any body options though because of the size. Just make sure you get the brushless version if you go that way.
I might be leaning more towards the Tekno SCT with a Porsche 959 body. I’d be interested in the Traxxas other than the body mounting system because it doesn’t leave many options for other bodies. Unless I’m wrong about that? Plus their proprietary battery connector is annoying.

I might be leaning more towards the Tekno SCT with a Porsche 959 body. I’d be interested in the Traxxas other than the body mounting system because it doesn’t leave many options for other bodies. Unless I’m wrong about that? Plus their proprietary battery connector is annoying.
You can use the Slash 4x4 body mounts and mount any body, but the only one I have seen with the proper dimensions is a Toyota Celica and it is $80 from Delta Plastics. Celica Rally Body The new Tekno SCT 2.0 is a beast.

You can use the Slash 4x4 body mounts and mount any body, but the only one I have seen with the proper dimensions is a Toyota Celica and it is $80 from Delta Plastics. Celica Rally Body The new Tekno SCT 2.0 is a beast.
As cool as the Traxxas Rally is (and the new VXL version announced Friday), I’d wind up spending just as much money making it into what I want. Plus I already have a transmitter and receiver and a bunch of 2S and 3S batteries. I don’t want to have to buy Traxxas compatible batteries.

If you want to stick with 1:10 rally (raised touring) platforms I have heard nice things about the LC Racing PTG2R and Carten have a Rally version of their T410, I don’t know how good 3rd party support is for hopups though, that is the joy of Tamiyas…

Back