Turn Over Damn It!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PotatoeRob

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So, I got a Jato 2.5r....

I've got a fully charged EZ Start... i proceed to prime the engine and start it...
*blubblub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub....*
Sometimes it will start for me... After 2+ minutes of dumping juice into it... or maybe even longer... and some times it wont start..

It won't turn over for me!(in good time) I'm pretty sure it shouldnt take me over 2 minutes to start my car.. i've check the fuel lines... I've replaced the Glow Plug and I've tried charging the EZ start battery for longer. No Bueno My friend.. no bueno!

If any of you have a solution to this problem... i'd love to hear it ! :)
HERES A LINK TO MY YOUTUBE.COM VIDEO!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gOPFnxUCr4"]YouTube - ‪Jato 2.5r Problem Starting‬‏[/ame]

Get a stand alone heater for the plug and don't rely on the ez-starter to juice the plug.

That said, check the contact wire that is usually screwed to the crank case that makes the grounding connection for your glow plug. Make sure the screw is tight. If it's loose at all, that could be the reason it's firing up for you sporadically.

whats a good / reliable glow plug heater?

You can spend anywhere from $10 to $50(probably more...) on a glow ignitor. Just about any of them will do better than the EZ start. If you go with a name brand(Dubro, DuraTrax, Hobbico, Associated, HPI, etc etc) you're not going to be disappointed. Do a little research, see what features you want(rechargeable[NiMH/NiCD or LiPo?] or replaceable batteries, gauge, etc).

In your video, I only see one light being illuminated, and I'm assuming that's the motor light, and not the glow plug light. If that's the case, then picking up an ignitor should definitely fix you up. Good luck!

The ez start isn't going to work with a glow plug heater... the ez start has a wire from the socket which goes to the glow plug (like a heater) and it is also turning my engine over for me (like the pull start)..... WOuld i have to install a pull start aswel?

The ez start isn't going to work with a glow plug heater... the ez start has a wire from the socket which goes to the glow plug (like a heater) and it is also turning my engine over for me (like the pull start)..... WOuld i have to install a pull start aswel?

Just cut off the blue lead wire that is going to the glow pug, keep everything else as is. You would only be replacing the blue wire with a glow plug ignitor and manually heating the plug. The ez start wand will still turn over the motor, only now you will have a much hotter glow plug for starting with. You dont have to install a pull starter.

Last edited:
Looks like your only getting 1 green light on the starter wand. If your plug is good, and the blue / yellow wire are good....

You need a new wand. Ebay $8

i would not cut the blue wire if a were you ...you migth regret it ...get yourself a seperate glow ingnitor to start your truck when its cold ....once warmed up , put the blue wire back on ....that way , you wont have to fool around with 2 things to get the truck back up running if you stop it to put fuel or if it stalls on you ..youll just need the wand ;) ...thats what i do

the ez-start works great when the engine is hot ;)

you could be flooding the motor and thats why the glow plug light isnt coming on.... after so many spins of the motor its gonna flood out...

i would not cut the blue wire if a were you ...you migth regret it ...get yourself a seperate glow ingnitor to start your truck when its cold ....once warmed up , put the blue wire back on ....that way , you wont have to fool around with 2 things to get the truck back up running if you stop it to put fuel or if it stalls on you ..youll just need the wand ;) ...thats what i do

the ez-start works great when the engine is hot ;)

You will still have to piss around with that stupid blue wire, why not just get rid of it and be done with it. Either way described, you are still fooling around with 2 things to get started, one method is more reliable than the other IMO. It really doesn't take that much longer to insert the glow ignitor each time for starting.

Agreed with Mtaylortank.

Last edited:
every maxx I have been using glow igniter with I have switched to pull start less lutter in your pocket.. I have tried to just use the e-z start and keap replacing wires,owb,wands,plugs... and in the end result i have pull start and a bunch of e-z start parts for the one and only tmaxx I am keaping stock incase I need to sell it...

how did you prime? it it sounds to me like your not getting any fuel. its turning over plenty fast enough to start. like the others said only your starter light is coming on check the wires and go from there. pull the glow plug hook the blue wire back up to it and put it to the side of the head unplug your your starter and push the button to see if it glows nice and bright. Once you get it running instead of the stand alone ignitor i unplug a wire on my starter and hold the ez start wand on it for 15 seconds or so then puld the starter wire back in. i was having the same problem with my revo and i sealed the engine and prime it by takeing the pressure tube off the exhaust and blow in it till i get fuel into the carb. the unplug the starter and heat it that way. just something to try. plus blowing the pressure tube lets you know if you have any air leaks in your fuel system. ;)

You will still have to piss around with that stupid blue wire, why not just get rid of it and be done with it. Either way described, you are still fooling around with 2 things to get started, one method is more reliable than the other IMO. It really doesn't take that much longer to insert the glow ignitor each time for starting.

Agreed with Mtaylortank.

I've had my truck for over a year and a half...and the blue wire NEVER gave me any problems ..an i find that using the wand is easier than having to fool around with a seperate ignitor specialy when the truck is warm

Last edited:
how did you prime? it it sounds to me like your not getting any fuel. its turning over plenty fast enough to start. like the others said only your starter light is coming on check the wires and go from there. pull the glow plug hook the blue wire back up to it and put it to the side of the head unplug your your starter and push the button to see if it glows nice and bright. Once you get it running instead of the stand alone ignitor i unplug a wire on my starter and hold the ez start wand on it for 15 seconds or so then puld the starter wire back in. i was having the same problem with my revo and i sealed the engine and prime it by takeing the pressure tube off the exhaust and blow in it till i get fuel into the carb. the unplug the starter and heat it that way. just something to try. plus blowing the pressure tube lets you know if you have any air leaks in your fuel system. ;)

I prime mine the same way, works great, you can get a feel for exactly how much fuel you put into the carb, that way you dont flood it out. I would also check the glow plug using the method stated above, the plug might be new, but maybe it popped right away.

IMO, the best method to go with is the glow ignitor and ezstart wand. With a fully charged ignitor and good plug it works great for me...each to his own.

---------- Post added at 9:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:26 AM ----------

I've had my truck for over a year and a half...and the blue wire NEVER gave me any problems ..an i find that using the wand is easier than having to fool around with a seperate ignitor specialy when the truck is warm

I had issues with the blue wire right off the bat. I replaced the whole starter harness (I cut off the blue wire right away), put in a new OWB and never looked back. Whatever is easiest for you.

I had the hole ez start system and fed up of it switched to pull start with a hand held glow starter can start mine twice as fast and don't have to worry about checking everything . Mine starts on the second or third pull . Thread some tight fuel tubing on the pull cord about 20mm long so no crap gets in there while your bashing or swimming and it last forever . JMO . :)

Just cut off the blue lead wire that is going to the glow pug, keep everything else as is. You would only be replacing the blue wire with a glow plug ignitor and manually heating the plug. The ez start wand will still turn over the motor, only now you will have a much hotter glow plug for starting with. You dont have to install a pull starter.

definitely going to try that... I actually did notice that last night after my last post... for the time being i'm going to get a glow lighter and use it with the ez start... Not sure about getting a pull start yet... i don't want to deal with taking the body off if it runs itself out of fuel or stalls or something.

definitely going to try that... I actually did notice that last night after my last post... for the time being i'm going to get a glow lighter and use it with the ez start... Not sure about getting a pull start yet... i don't want to deal with taking the body off if it runs itself out of fuel or stalls or something.

I find the ez start system to be a very reliable method of starting (minus the blue wire). I found that my tmaxx started much faster after using the glow ignitor. I didnt want to deal with taking the body off either.

Hope that all of this solves your problem, let us know.

i'm pretty sure the yellow wire is bugging out on me.. .i sautered the wire a while back... and looking at the base of the engine (where the the yellow wire is anchored) is pretty grimey.. problem is i'm not sure how to get to it to clean it up and make sure its getting some good contact.

pull the motor.. or the gas tank one of the two will let you get in there... I beleive.