TMaxx run away

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easy rider

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
I run my TMaxx 3.3 yesterday. I hadn’t been running it but for about a minute. It ran away from me and crashed into a tree flipping it over. Luckily, there was no damage. However, I didn’t run it anymore. Just set it on a block and tested the response to my controller.

It would turn the wheels and throttle and break. Then it wouldn’t. I changed batteries and it still did this.

I need sone help fellas troubleshooting this thing. Where do I start. Should I rebind my transmitter and receiver? The only thing I noticed that when I was doing my after run procedure, it appears to have a short in the ez start harness. When turning it over for my three wd40 cycles, it would stop cranking. I would wiggle the wires and it would work. Could this be related to my truck not responding to my transmitter signal? Causing my run away?

What do you fellas think?

First ezstart and the cars electronics are not tied in together. For the ez start, check the ground wire. It maybe damaged, have a loose screw, or covered in oil.

For the car rebind the radio and receiver. Check the antenna wire for damage. Next if you have spare servos, I'd bet money on those. Is there any binding in the steering or throttle that would cause more draw then it should?

If it's a older system I'd upgrade to a 2.4ghz.
Never had experience with traxxas electronics myself...

I run my TMaxx 3.3 yesterday. I hadn’t been running it but for about a minute. It ran away from me and crashed into a tree flipping it over. Luckily, there was no damage. However, I didn’t run it anymore. Just set it on a block and tested the response to my controller.

It would turn the wheels and throttle and break. Then it wouldn’t. I changed batteries and it still did this.

I need sone help fellas troubleshooting this thing. Where do I start. Should I rebind my transmitter and receiver? The only thing I noticed that when I was doing my after run procedure, it appears to have a short in the ez start harness. When turning it over for my three wd40 cycles, it would stop cranking. I would wiggle the wires and it would work. Could this be related to my truck not responding to my transmitter signal? Causing my run away?

What do you fellas think?
First I would get rid of the e-z start added crap. Just another potential problem that's not needed honestly. Throw on a Pull starts. A much better way. Then you don't have to carry all the extra starter crap with ya.

Is your Tmaxx fully stock. With all stock electronics and RX/TX? Are you using 4AA in the truck. Or do you run a hump pack? Have you gotten it wet at all not today but at another session? When was the last time everything wound binded?

The runway usually happens because there was lose of signal between TX/RX. How far were you to the truck when it took off.
Your not missing much. 🤣
That is very true just another headache 🤣🤣

I was using the 4 AA’s. The truck was about thirty feet. It run off and hit a big wide oak butt and flipped over on its top. I shut it down and put it on a block. The thing kept doing it. So, I just put it up.

I had run it for about a minute. I was high in elevation. Meaning on top of a mountain. It’s not uncommon for handheld radios to pick up signal 8-10 mikes away up there. Honestly, it’s what I was thinking initially. Maybe that’s right. Maybe it’s not. I just know that when I got it home yesterday, I blocked it up and tried for a long time and everything worked fine.

I ordered a hump pack last week with the switch. I’m still waiting on the switch. When it gets here I’m going to convert it over.

Yes, the truck is stock. No, I haven’t gotten it wet. I’m still leaning the way of the interference due to altitude versus the surrounding country. I had a set of walker muffs on later in the day shooting sone firearms and I kept getting feed back. Who knows?