Traxxas Rustler with working 2 speed

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't even got the first clue on how to do that lol
Use a handheld touch, the green, yellow, or blur ones. Heat it up cherry red then dip it in oil or water. The other way is getting it extremely cold. I haven't got a clue on that process!

I started doing it on my mini traxxas. The ring and pinion are $12 each. At one point I had nearly 20. 😱 this cut down on them stripping.

The 2 speed Jato tranny holds 0.8 spur gears, you can just get a 50t integy 0.8 steel spurgear and a Traxxas 24t clutchbell. Although I'm not sure the big block can hold that clutchbell? 🤔 worth a try though if you want to reach higher speeds with it. Or if you find another way let me know, I'm genuinely curious about it
I'm using a steel Hot Racing 42T spur and a redcat racing 18T hardened clutch bell. The clutch bell needs to be a hardened 1mod. With the power of the big block it'll be shredding the clutch otherwise.

Use a handheld touch, the green, yellow, or blur ones. Heat it up cherry red then dip it in oil or water. The other way is getting it extremely cold. I haven't got a clue on that process!

I started doing it on my mini traxxas. The ring and pinion are $12 each. At one point I had nearly 20. 😱 this cut down on them stripping.

I saw them do something similar on mythbusters, except it was with a gun barrel to see if they could chop it with a sword lol.

Did some more work on the Rato this weekend.
Carbon fiber wheelie bar with stabilizer arm, not sure how well it's going to work though.
20240226_073028.jpg

Added a brace that goes from the transmission to the upper deck to prevent binding between the spur and the clutch bell. This was kind of a first version but I'm sure I'll trim the side brace down some to allow more clearance.
20240226_073044.jpg

Fitted a new VXL body with LEDs
20240221_215144.jpg

I still need to finish making a bracket for the action cam and the power converter for the LEDs.

Last edited:
I'm using a steel Hot Racing 42T spur and a redcat racing 18T hardened clutch bell. The clutch bell needs to be a hardened 1mod. With the power of the big block it'll be shredding the clutch otherwise.

I saw them do something similar on mythbusters, except it was with a gun barrel to see if they could chop it with a sword lol.

Did some more work on the Rato this weekend.
Carbon fiber wheelie bar with stabilizer arm, not sure how well it's going to work though.
View attachment 183150
Added a brace that goes from the transmission to the upper deck to prevent binding between the spur and the clutch bell. This was kind of a first version but I'm sure I'll trim the side brace down some to allow more clearance.
View attachment 183151
Fitted a new VXL body with LEDs
View attachment 183152
I still need to finish making a bracket for the action cam and the power converter for the LEDs.
It's looking like a great build man, haha love the name Rato. Whenever you can, post a video of it running that would be awesome👌

It's looking like a great build man, haha love the name Rato. Whenever you can, post a video of it running that would be awesome👌
I live in Minnesota and the car is setup for dry pavements. Weather has been very inconsistent so haven't been able to drive it this year yet but the new version incorporates a runcam mounted to the chassis so I'm planning on taking a lot of videos

How did you install the cam? What set up did you use?

I don't have a picture with it installed but this is how I did it:

I'm using a Runcam 5. I couldn't find any non 3d printed cases for it so I used a GoPro Hero 5 case, It's a tight fit but it'll work. The buckle mount is 2 sided taped to a CF plate and mounts to the upper chassis plate on the red standoffs in the picture.
20240226_073051.jpg

Had to cutout most of the windshield in the body for the camera to poke through

Build finished and time to start re-tuning the carb. The hoons are good for speed but don't have a lot of grip, car tends to spin the tires if I get on it too hard. Already running a 19/42T mod1 combo. Can't go smaller with the spur otherwise the carb will hit the transmission. Pretty happy with how it's turned out though.

20240229_153650[1].jpg

20240301_164307[1].jpg

20240301_164402[1].jpg

I don't have a picture with it installed but this is how I did it:

I'm using a Runcam 5. I couldn't find any non 3d printed cases for it so I used a GoPro Hero 5 case, It's a tight fit but it'll work. The buckle mount is 2 sided taped to a CF plate and mounts to the upper chassis plate on the red standoffs in the picture.
View attachment 183304
Had to cutout most of the windshield in the body for the camera to poke through
That's pretty badass 🤘

Build finished and time to start re-tuning the carb. The hoons are good for speed but don't have a lot of grip, car tends to spin the tires if I get on it too hard. Already running a 19/42T mod1 combo. Can't go smaller with the spur otherwise the carb will hit the transmission. Pretty happy with how it's turned out though.

View attachment 184046
View attachment 184047
View attachment 184048
Great job man I would have never expected the Rustler to look like this. Have you tried the camera yet?

That's pretty badass 🤘

Great job man I would have never expected the Rustler to look like this. Have you tried the camera yet?
A little bit here and there. I'm still trying to get it tuned. Weather in Minnesota is pretty inconsistent and the lack of wide open straight roads kind of makes it a struggle.