Trek Bike Recall

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing Tom. This is the first I've heard of it and am passing this on to my fellow bikers as well.

My mountain bike is probably affected, gonna check with the shop owners on our group ride this evening.

BUT, unless the QR mechanism itself is failing then I don't see how it could happen if you tightened your QR down properly. If you ride off with a loose QR, that's a whole other issue. And it's unfortunate that I feel the need to over analyze it due to other things CPSC related over the past couple of decades. Like when kids motorcycles were outlawed because of the lead in the paint and carbs, cause you know, kids like to eat motorcycles. :D

A lil beside the point, but something that swings like that doesn't have a cotter key/pin to keep from doing that? Is that armature spinning while the tire spins?.....sorry every bike I've ridden has had a nuts that holds the tire on, in fact I remember the brakes clamped the rim!

Thanks for sharing Tom. This is the first I've heard of it and am passing this on to my fellow bikers as well.

No problem guys. Glad I could help.

I don't think my Trek is affected... I have the QR latches but I do not have disk brakes.

A lil beside the point, but something that swings like that doesn't have a cotter key/pin to keep from doing that? Is that armature spinning while the tire spins?.....sorry every bike I've ridden has had a nuts that holds the tire on, in fact I remember the brakes clamped the rim!

The whole point of a quick release is that it's quick to remove your wheel for trail / roadside repairs, or transport without tools. They work like a cam lock, and once tightened down they require a lot of force to open. Again, provided the QR mechanism itself isn't failing. Most new higher end mtn bikes (say above maybe $1,200 or so ) also run thru axles, where the QR actually threads into the opposite side fork leg before you tighten down the QR, and my new road bike is that way now that road bikes are starting to be equipped with disc brakes also.

^^Gotcha!....I was looking from my perspective, and I'm never without tools....ever, they may be the wrong tools.....awe you get the point.

Looks to me like the issue is improperly tightened QR latches that are able to swing open past 180 degrees and get caught up in the brake disc essentially locking up the front end instantly.

Seem like a whole lot of OE is the problem.

Back