Traxxas stampede vxl over heating issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think the reply by HPI was in good taste, and I'm not trying to argue, I just wanted to help the guy out who obviously is pushing his equipment too far possibly I thought in more than one way.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:55 PM ----------

Why would you argue with someone with years of Brushless experience after you say you just got back into RC??? If the gearing is correct for 3s then its really not harder on the esc at all, you contradicted your posts.... just because you and Hobby shop employees think its harder on it doesn't mean thats true, check your facts before you argue with someone who knows what they are talking about.

I learned early on that higher voltage and amperage is hard on speed controls as they are the gates that allow electricity to flow, so I don't think I really contradicted myself but I can tell when people just want to fight so I'm backing out of this thread, just trying to help the guy. Hence when I tried to run an 8 cell Ni-Cad in a novak that was only designed for 6. My gearing ratio didn't help me a bit there ;)

Hope you get your pede running cooler again :)

Dudeeeeeee! i had run probably 100+ runs on my slash 4x4 with the Vxl-3s without a single problem. Maybe i was just lucky. but 3s should not be a problem and i dont think he is overloading his elecs(except for the gearing). But you're the expert on batteries.

I'm not really sure how my post was in bad taste, but if so, I didn't mean it to come off that way.

You stated that running the stock VXL 3s system on 3s was pushing it too far, in your opinion. I simply prefer to base the setup of my rigs, and the advice I give to others on this forum off of facts. Facts that are contained in the owners manual of every Traxxas (and every RC vehicle for that matter) RC rig that's included in the box, or on the website if you bought a used rig. And the fact is, the system will handle 3s power just fine, all day long if you follow what's listed in the manual.

I'm running a stock Placebo with twin ceramic bleeder bars and I've never had an overheating problem. I do occasionally suffer from night sweats, but it's a common side effect.

The Velinion is capable of running a 3s pack with no problems. I've run the smaller -3m version on 3s since I got rhe rig over 2 years ago. I am a retired electronics tech familiar with what high current DC circuits. As long as you follow the guidelines by the manufacturer by watching the temps and using no more than their max voltage, you should have no problems.

I don't think the reply by HPI was in good taste, and I'm not trying to argue, I just wanted to help the guy out who obviously is pushing his equipment too far possibly I thought in more than one way.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:55 PM ----------

I learned early on that higher voltage and amperage is hard on speed controls as they are the gates that allow electricity to flow, so I don't think I really contradicted myself but I can tell when people just want to fight so I'm backing out of this thread, just trying to help the guy. Hence when I tried to run an 8 cell Ni-Cad in a novak that was only designed for 6. My gearing ratio didn't help me a bit there ;)

Hope you get your pede running cooler again :)

No one is trying to fight, this is a very respectable forum, with a TON of knowledge, when we see someone giving someone else bad information, we do tend to get a little defensive, why? because bad information makes it hard on someone new to the hobby and could cause them to give it up.... we are all adults , we can hold discussions without getting angry, you're telling the guy to go buy a new esc or stop running 3s batteries, when thats not true at all, theres plenty of proof here that the esc is capable of running on a 3 cell lipo, with the proper gearing and enough common sense to check temps and make changes when required.

As for running a 8 cell ni-cad in an esc that was designed for 6, well it wasn't designed for an 8 cell so yes that was your problem, but the VXL-3 IS designed for 3cell.

Last edited:
Don't forget the 3gS. With added video capture capabilities.

Sent from my *PiMP Boy-3000*

Well I blew up my ESC or at least I'm pretty sure i did and i was using 3s sometimes and running pretty hard. So with what the hobby store people told me and with my own experience with it I was really starting to think they were right. I was cautious and was not gearing aggressively and let it cool between batteries so i thats why I felt pretty darn sure it the VXL-3 had issues pushing 3S. It's good to know many of you feel the unit can handle it. Good info.

Yea my problem with facts and stats is some lie. One of the things that got me interested in electronic hobbies was big car stereo's. I was forced to start paying attention to my physics teacher in high school after misunderstanding ohms law. Then after I became quite knowledgable I learned quickly that some manufacturers stretch the truth, or give very misleading information. I've had several amps that stated they were 2 ohm stable that would shut down after 10 mins and were just not very good amps no matter what the specs sheet said. Then me and my buddies found amps that were only rated 4 ohm stable that could run two 15's in parallel all night long.

I guess I just don't always trust the manufacturers and am a skeptical consumer. Especially after my VXL 3 didn't seem to hold up on me even when I was quite careful. Thanks Tmaxx for the nicer message though. Alot of bad info out there. I definitely don't want to be one of them myself >.<

Traxxas is RMAing the ESC which is very nice of them ill double check stuff and see if I have issues this next time around :)

I know you're not saying anyone is lying on here, but I've noticed a lot on this forum in my relatively short span of time being here. One thing is if someone is giving false information whether it be lying or lack of knowledge someone one here is going to call them out on it. Some of the best information I've gotten is from here, and still getting great information from here. In all honesty I've been lied to or received wrong information from more hobby shop employees then anyone else in this hobby, that's why I only go to one hobby shop for my hobby needs now and if they don't have what I want I do my research and order online. I think I've been lucky cause talking face to face I can tell if someone doesn't know what they're talking about or are bs'ing me.

Well I blew up my ESC or at least I'm pretty sure i did and i was using 3s sometimes and running pretty hard. So with what the hobby store people told me and with my own experience with it I was really starting to think they were right. I was cautious and was not gearing aggressively and let it cool between batteries so i thats why I felt pretty darn sure it the VXL-3 had issues pushing 3S. It's good to know many of you feel the unit can handle it. Good info.

The hobby shop may of meant 3s breaks mechanical parts, like the driveline, and fence posts.
If you had to let it cool between batteries then the gearing is wrong. Which causes the electrical failures. Did you ever check the temps of the esc and motor while on the same battery.

Well I do the finger test. I want to get into telementary soon, for now buy a temp gun maybe. But ATM no i don't really know temps. If i can keep my thumb on it for 2 secs or so I've always took that to be ok, and if it burns right away i know its prob way too hot. Now that you bring it up, heck i don't know what these brushless things can handle, maybe they are more sensitive to heat vs the old brushed I used years back.

Buy a $20 dollar temp gun!!!!!

One of the best investments I've made so far. Takes all the guess work out of it. May be too hot to hold your finger on but still within safe operating temps. I dont buy into the finger test method anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

+1. Did the bad dawg let him out of the cellar?

Might work better if you stroke it instead of touch it. I've heard a stroke over the top side of the motor gives a better sense of heat over just touching it. Like some people have agreed with here, to tell temp, just have a stroke.

Back