Granite Grom going Brushless Help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zerksies

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I am looking for a new project. I am really hating my Teton and l like messing with small RC. I am looking to get a grom. I've been looking around and i see issues regarding the motor. From what i see the shaft on the pinon is 2.3mm whereas most 1/18 scale motors are 2.0mm. I honestly don't understand why I just can't crank down on the pinion gear.

But does anyone have any suggestions on Motors or new Pinion gears. I think the stock pinion is a 16 tooth.

The Amazon King Val system (Rebranded Surpass Hobbies) I have for my Mini B, it has the option of 2.0mm shaft and 2.3mm shaft.
It is a 35A esc ad 6100 2435 motor. For a MT, Id go for below a 4000kv motor.

At school so can't get the link but I can when I get home.

Hobbywing also released a new combo for Mini trucks but I am not sure if it has a 2.3mm shaft.

If you want to go to a 2.0mm shaft. My Mini B uses a 2.0mm bore. Might be able to use a Losi gear. But I am unsure of what pitch the arrma grooms have.

Arrma grooms. Lol. Typo. 🤣 🫠

Last edited:
Edit: The New hobbywing motor is a 2848 motor which would be too big for a grom.
They do have a 16BL30 combo. I believe one of the options are 4500kv which would be best.Again, unsure of the motor shaft size. The 16BL30 has a Tamiya plug on it so I would snip it off and use EC2 / IC2 or deans. (or xt30)

The Amazon King Val system (Rebranded Surpass Hobbies) I have for my Mini B, it has the option of 2.0mm shaft and 2.3mm shaft.
It is a 35A esc ad 6100 2435 motor. For a MT, Id go for below a 4000kv motor.

At school so can't get the link but I can when I get home.

Hobbywing also released a new combo for Mini trucks but I am not sure if it has a 2.3mm shaft.

If you want to go to a 2.0mm shaft. My Mini B uses a 2.0mm bore. Might be able to use a Losi gear. But I am unsure of what pitch the arrma grooms have.

Arrma grooms. Lol. Typo. 🤣 🫠
Thanks, I think i am going to go with this. I think 3000kv should be good to start with. My hobbyWing 4500kv is a little to fast for inside the house.

https://www.amazon.com/KingVal-2445...prefix=King+Val+esc+mot,aps,1530&sr=1-17&th=1

Edit: The New hobbywing motor is a 2848 motor which would be too big for a grom.
They do have a 16BL30 combo. I believe one of the options are 4500kv which would be best.Again, unsure of the motor shaft size. The 16BL30 has a Tamiya plug on it so I would snip it off and use EC2 / IC2 or deans. (or xt30)
I do have the 16bl30 with the 4500kv motor. Just the shaft is too small

for indoor use I think 3000kv is way to much for indoor use you want low kv under 1500all my mini have higher kv cuz I like to how off in speed runs...I have a 9000kv with a 200 amp heli esc that will just annihilates 10 th scale drag car. its a losi half 8 with 4 cells...

Well unforniately I did the swap and it's way too fast. I'm in the middle of converting it to a diffirent brushed system. I'm not looking to use the stock ESC/receiver combo. I found an ESC i'm just waiting for it to come in.

Back