Sticking with 4s on kraton 6s

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshaf

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Have had my used kraton 6s for about a month now. Very happy with performance on 4s and keeps up with my erevo 2.0 running 6s. Decided to try 6s batteries in kraton, way too much power and damn near impossible to give it full throttle without concern of it flipping going 50mph. Motor got quite hot after 10-15 minutes and could touch the motor only for a second or two (temp gauge on the way). Think I'm staying on 4s in this truck, don't want to risk over heating and burning motor. Looks like it has a 16t pinion, stock I believe is 12?? That may be why it is so out of control and heating up so quick

Yes, the higher the pinion tooth count the hotter it's going to run. As far as batteries, go with makes you happy.
I keep my E-Revo on 4s instead of 6s. It has serious attitude on 6s.

I feel the revo is completely manageable on 6s, kraton way too much and have to be very cautious with finger accelerator. On 4s can be the snot out of it with no concern and still plenty fast

Could possibly go in the esc settings and turn down the punch. I believe all spektrum esc's should be programable, unlike the traxxas vxls.

Would the punch setting make a noticeable difference and tame it down quite a bit?

I feel the revo is completely manageable on 6s, kraton way too much and have to be very cautious with finger accelerator. On 4s can be the snot out of it with no concern and still plenty fast
If you over-gear the Erevo the same as your Kraton is on 6s it would be quite the handful to try to control, but at the expense of cooking the motor as you have discovered. ;)

Would the punch setting make a noticeable difference and tame it down quite a bit?
It can be noticeable, but maybe not by alot. But you can always try it. It is a bit hard to explain punch so here is what punch is in Hobbywing words:

"The punch is basically what others call a current limiter. It limits the amount of initial power that is allowed to go to the motor. Most ESC have this as just a single general setting. Hobbywing gives us much more control over this setting that the competition"

Also, if you use a aftermarket radio system, most of those radio systems have throttle expo / curve and throttle speed settings which are kind of the same thing and helps a bit.

I mainly run my Notorious on 4s. 60/375/30. It's way crazy on 6s

Driving a 6s truck is a lot different than a 4s one. With 6s you do most of your driving in the middle of the trigger. The only time you bottom out the trigger is for stunts or maxing out a speed run. My recommendation is to run the truck on 6s till you get used to it. A Kraton is so much better on 6s. Once you get used to 6s 4s will seem slow and weak to you.

Buying a 6s truck and running it on 4s is like buying a Slash and leaving it in training mode permanently. I just ask why?

What pinion size would you guys recommend for general use on 4s and 6s? 16t on it now, if I go to factory 12t pinion would it drop Temps quite a bit but still be plenty powerful on 6s? I'm sure 4s would be quite a bit slower dropping pinion 4 teeth. Regeared erevo to 16/46 and it rips on 6s, just have to keep an eye on temps, max temp was 150 on motor so should be good

What pinion size would you guys recommend for general use on 4s and 6s? 16t on it now, if I go to factory 12t pinion would it drop Temps quite a bit but still be plenty powerful on 6s? I'm sure 4s would be quite a bit slower dropping pinion 4 teeth. Regeared erevo to 16/46 and it rips on 6s, just have to keep an eye on temps, max temp was 150 on motor so should be good
Yes stock is a 12t on the Kraton. It would drop the temps & be more consistent driving on 6s. The stock center diff is a 50t on the K6. Going up on the diff fluids help also.

I agree, with 6s a 12t pinion is a good place to start. It will react a little slower to trigger commands making it less freaky, plenty of power, and plenty of kick for backflips. It won't be slow either.

Thanks guys, 12t pinion solved my issues. Runs great on 4s and not too crazy for my 10 year old son to handle. On 6s it's perfect and right where I want it. Plenty of power/ speed but not out of control crazy. Motor was barely warm to the touch on 4s and 6s so I'm happy. Guy must have not been too knowledgeable installing pinion gear, always thought it had quite the grinding noise since I bought it. Doesn't now after new pinion and proper mesh. Brakes a lot stronger also

Thanks guys, 12t pinion solved my issues. Runs great on 4s and not too crazy for my 10 year old son to handle. On 6s it's perfect and right where I want it. Plenty of power/ speed but not out of control crazy. Motor was barely warm to the touch on 4s and 6s so I'm happy. Guy must have not been too knowledgeable installing pinion gear, always thought it had quite the grinding noise since I bought it. Doesn't now after new pinion and proper mesh. Brakes a lot stronger also
Thats awesome man!

Back