Traxxas Rustler VXL

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

slugking33

I have a Dynamite charger, and am looking at getting a Rustler VXL. Can I get good batteries that would charge off of the Dynamite, or do I need a new charger?

Can you link me to the exact charger you have? I use an Integy 1-15 Cell and I use an 8.4V 7 Cell 5000 maH Venom on it as fast as 1 hour. It performs good, but if you want the maximum performance out of your brushless vehicle, go LiPo. You'll need a special charger for those though; however, with LiPo, you'll be able to do the 70 mph depending on the battery.

Well, that charger will work with the standward nimH batteries. I'd say start out with those for a little, and then when you're ready, move up to LiPo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VENOM-15487T-8-...ntrolQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQQsalenotsupported

^^ Battery I use. I get wheelies on demand. I can't NOT wheelie with it actually. I get about an hour of run time, and it takes about an hour 1 charge with my charger at the highest setting. For the price, it's worth it. I get about 40 mph on it too.

Well, unless you have experience, and are ready for insane speed, I would. If you know what your doing driving RC's, go head and go with LiPo. The power and speed though with LiPos compared to nimH batteries is like day and night. The Rustler is a pretty fragile vehicle, so if you're going 65 mph down your street with one of those lipos, and you hit a curb, you're going to have to replace a good many parts.

Sounds perfect for me, I enjoy working on the vehicles more than driving.

Is there a good LiPo brand out there?

Also, what charger do you use?

The Rustler is a pretty fragile vehicle, so if you're going 65 mph down your street with one of those lipos, and you hit a curb, you're going to have to replace a good many parts.

Or the whole darn thing like I am doing after nailing a lamp post at 55 MPH. Bent that aluminum chassis real good!

Or the whole darn thing like I am doing after nailing a lamp post at 55 MPH. Bent that aluminum chassis real good!

Haha, wow. That sucks. Do you have any pictures?

What did I say about my topics? Can't stay on them for too long.

I would stay away from Venoms. There fairly inconsistent in output and temps. Go with some Intellect or Tenergy. You can get a 9 cell 4200mah Tenergy from fastrcbatteries.com that will get you up to around 65mph. Which is way too fast to control. But with a small pinion gear, you'll be cookin' around 40-50mph and have great run times. Remember lipos require special attention, in a sense. They can explode. Nimhs are tough as nails and take abuse better. Though abusing batteries is never a good idea. For a charger, I'd recommend a Super Brain 977. 1-8 cell nimh. Lipo ready and dual outputs. I guess this charger wouldn't help much with a 9 cell. Stick to 8 cells. Lighter and it doesn't push the motor and esc as hard.

Last edited: