Tmaxx Freeks Baja 5B "RE" Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmaxxfreek

Hardcore RCTalk User
Firefighter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
And so it begins, all the gears and bearings were in good shape...cleaned everything up and put some 3000wt dif fluid in....grease for the gears should be here tomorrow.

photobucket-2257-1324598464260.jpg

Still need to clean all the old grease from the gears before it goes back together.....i have to admit, i was a little nervous when i opened it up......its nothing like a 1/10 scale truck.

Yeah they are a bit bigger huh? If I was you I would consider getting the alloy diff case. It was one of the biggest weak points on the first gen Baja. They are a fun build for sure. I want to get mine back out and run it. But considering it is in the single digits and LOW teens I am a bit afraid of brittle plastic.

i will order that eventually.....I'm just trying get it back together and learn the ins and outs....then ill start upgrading weak points it does go against everything i have ever done though "upgrade while your there", My Christmas budget has stopped that:p: at least for now. i had a great time going thru the diff though, it was good fun!

Off to a good start there buddy. Check out the shread head vids on youtube for a lot of free tips, and the Fast Eddie site too. Both have great info on them, and were priceless for me. 10k in the diff is popular for dirt. I did 5k, and wish I had waited when I put it back in.

So my HPI grease didnt come in today like it was supposed to so i picked up some team associated "black grease", Will this work in the diff of the Baja or should i wait and use what is recommended? i would think grease is grease but i thought i would ask you guys to make sure.....i for sure dont want to ruin the dif with a 3 dollar tube of grease:\.....Thanks guys.....i hope i keep getting the great help that i have gotten so far from this Forum. I look forward to sharing my first "re" build with all of you that are interested.

photobucket-1535-1324670073795.gif

i have been searching the net to see if i could find anything about it but with no luck.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I've used it on just about all of my RCs and have had no problems.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

I pulled my rear diff on my baja to check for fluid and I was low. It says to replace the diff gasket when you service the diff. I was able to reuse mine and I just topped off the diff with the stock fluid. I would also use the stock fluid considering that those diffs aren't cheap and it's not easy to pull by any means. I thought of this the other night: Atleast you did not get a clone with a blown engine.

Yea....at least i can hang my wing on my work bench and read"BAJA" lol, ill get it going soon.....doing little by little. need to get my rear a arms to finish it up but I'm trying to get the funds up to buy the engine from RobMob.

Where is the best website to order the a-arms? I think i'm going to go back stock for now, until i get it going and then ill start upgrading.

Last edited:
Well Hopefully i will have the engine From Rob soon to give the ole girl a heartbeat......once i get it i think it will be bustin ass in just a few days of build time.

Amain is a good place to order parts. They should carry the RPM arms.

Do you guy think its worth buying a new screw kit for my project, I dont think i am missing but just a few and there are a ton with the field box that came with it, i was thinking about buying a Stainless Steel set to put back in it but i have never used them in an "operational" truck only show truck... i can't decide, If i do buy it should i go stainless or just a standard replacement set.

No on a stainless kit.

Get a set from Tony's Screws if you want to do the replacement route.

+1 on the kit from Tony's. They are nicely packaged and great quality

thought i would show you guys what the baja looked like before i started rebuilding it.

download2-1.jpg

download1-1.jpg

download.jpg

Missing piece

Anyone know where i can order the piece that's circled in this picture i'm not sure what its called but it has threads in it so i'm sure i will need it. I have searched Ebay and HPI.com trying to find it but with no luck,Thanks guys.

photobucket-2417-1325354694447-1.jpg

I don't think you can order just that part since it was originally pressed fit into the bottom plate. You may be stuck getting a whole new bottom plate.

Ok, thanks Rob, That's what i needed to know, i will order another plate.

I did manage to find some of these but I'm not sure what size they are, I'm still going to order a new plate.

They are called Pem Nuts.

Back