There are some days...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
You know how people sometimes say "This is one of those days when I should have just stayed in bed."? Well there needs to be a saying "This is one of those days I shouldnt have done anything RC related." lol

So I bought Override's practically brand new Picco .28. This thing was obviously in awesome condition but I decided that my new little bundle of pride and joy needed to be taken apart 100% and cleaned up real nice and relubed etc etc...Well, I broke the damn thing....When I went to put it back together....well I put the roto start on it instead of the pull start (he sent it with both) and when I went to turn it over to test and and I pomptly heard some snap inside....took it back apart and saw that I broke the little nub on the crankshaft that goes into the conrod. I beleive I installed the piston and conrod in backwards by mistake....stupid newb mistake cost me $90 for a new one...which is retarded considering the whole engine is only $190 bucks brand new. Oh well, sh*t happens in this hobby. I guess.

Yep! I have been there sometimes bad things happen to good rc parts LOL!! Gotta love the hobby.

I guess the thing that burns me up so bad isnt that i broke it by making a stupid mistake its the cost of the replacement part.....well maybe a little bit because i made a dumb mistake that I should have seen but most the price of the part....one crank shaft and one cooling head replacement cost the same as a new engine.....Seriously?! GRRRRRRRR

you wouldn't have that problem if you ran electric...... KIDDING I'M KIDDING LOL sorry I just had this happen a few days ago and when I went to the LHS some jacknut that was having the kid behind the counter replace his shocks said this to me... I laughed and walked away not even worth it

Yeah we do. Seems like everything i buy to upgrade on my tmaxx fixes one thing only for everything else around upgrades to continue to break. I'm to a point now where after a total investment of well over 1K I'm wishing i would have just bought the truggy kit I've wanted to build instead. Last with me is the jeep body i just bought for it lasted about 1tank before paint is flaking off terribly and i cracked the dogleg by windshield pretty bad. I prepped it with soapy water and alcohol and used krylon fusion paint and its not bonding with the body. Leason learned i guess with paint. Next time I'm buying lexan body paint for sure.

Weve all been rhere. I was at work when I recieved my ne RB modded Picco.26. Gave it to a tech to throw the clutch on it for me and he handed it to me with the crank snapped in two.

That's sucks buddy, hate to hear that. As mentioned above, we've all been right there with ya though. I had a $100 heli crash due to an ID10T error on the radio once.

Couldn't figure out why my RC-18t wasn't moving. Put the front diff in backwards....

I did an overhaul on an OS .18 a few years ago. I installed the new piston onto the conrod and installed the old sleeve. Engine never did run correctly.

Couldn't figure out why my RC-18t wasn't moving. Put the front diff in backwards....

I did the same on my revo back tires went forward front tires wanted to go backwards.:(

so how did putting the piston and con rod in backwards break that nub off the crank shaft?

I'm guessing that what it was...all I know is when I hit the roto start it moved a tiny bit, stopped, and then I heard a popping noise. IDk what else could have casue the engine not to spin. I couldnt really tell what way I had installed it since the nub was broken the piston was just kind laying at the bottom of the engine case laying a little sideways.

I did the same on my revo back tires went forward front tires wanted to go backwards.:(

so how did putting the piston and con rod in backwards break that nub off the crank shaft?
Because if the rod was backwards, the piston was backwards, The relief cut in the piston was facing inwards, not facing the backplate. The piston grabbed the backplate and when it turned over, it snapped the rod nub.

Moral of the story:

if-it-ain-t-broke-don-t-fix-it.jpg

Yeah but I've always been one of those OCD types about cleaning my stuff....thats usually not a bad thing lol.

You may want to check your piston skirt too... if you had the piston backwards, it could have taken a chunk out of it or cracked it when the nub broke.

yeah I went over everything and I can't find a single scratch on anything just the broken crankshaft. Honestly I'm a little puzzled at why it didnt spin. I'm assuming its because I put the piston in backwards but if I did theres no evidence of it other than the crankshaft. IDK, I got another one coming so this time I will learn my lesson and put the flywheel on it first and make sure I can spin it by hand heh.

Hydrolocked by chance? I know the piccos run a pretty tight pinch, so that combined with a little too much ARO in the chamber locked it up on you maybe. Who knows. It is odd.

Although, I had a crank in one of my old OS21RG's snap during gallon 2. Snapped right where it's machined out where the fuel comes in. Was driving along and all of the sudden, it stalled. I put the heater back on it and fired it up and it sounded really weird. Took it apart and the crank came out in two jagged pieces. Even though it busted, it had enough contact area with itself that it still rotated.

It definitely could have hydrolocked because Override mentioned the same thing with the piccos. This is the first picco I've owned so I wasn't aware they had a rep for doing that.