There are some days...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bummer man! we all have those kind of days !!!!

Ok I'm a bit confused! I just took my repos 3.3 trx engine apart to clean it (first time doing this to a nitro engine) I put it all back together and have not started it nor did I oil it... My question is is there a certain way I need to put the piston back in so this doesn't happen to me? Also do I need to oil anything? If so with what?

Ok I'm a bit confused! I just took my repos 3.3 trx engine apart to clean it (first time doing this to a nitro engine) I put it all back together and have not started it nor did I oil it... My question is is there a certain way I need to put the piston back in so this doesn't happen to me? Also do I need to oil anything? If so with what?

The cut out in the bottom of the piston goes toward the backplate. It's a very good idea to use a light oil ( 3 in 1 oil) on any friction points. (Bearings, crank, con rod, wrist pin, and a touch on the piston. After final assembly turn over the engine with your fingers, without a glow plug in just to make sure you don't have any clearance issues as stated above.

The cutout portion of the piston skirt installs toward the front/carb side of the engine on a 3.3; Notches/grooves on the back plate install up.
The piston skirt will not hit the back plate if installed backwards on a 3.3 but it will run like Poop if installed backwards.

The last time i let my dad drive my t-maxx he hit a stump and it shut off. I rechecked everything on-board like receiver the servos an all that and restarted it and it seemed fine. I sat it on the ground hit the throttle and it took off at WOT caught 2nd and smashed into my grandmas concrete porch about a 100 yards away. When i took it apart to see what happend i saw that the stock 4 AA battery holder for the reveier was cracked an it lost power an stayed wide open. plus a bent chassis destroyed front bulkheads. Needless to say my dad never drives it any more lol

Get rid of the AA pack and go to a rechargeable pack. Also make sure that your throttle return spring is powerful enough that if the truck loses power, the throttle closes. his will help prevent what you described.

Had a bad day a couple of days ago. I was prepping my Mini Rock Crawler to go and play. I couldn't get the RX to bind. I replaced it with a spare that I had and attempted to bind it and let the magic smoke out of it. Third RX was a charm.

The cutout portion of the piston skirt installs toward the front/carb side of the engine on a 3.3; Notches/grooves on the back plate install up.
The piston skirt will not hit the back plate if installed backwards on a 3.3 but it will run like Poop if installed backwards.

The cut out in the bottom of the piston goes toward the backplate. It's a very good idea to use a light oil ( 3 in 1 oil) on any friction points. (Bearings, crank, con rod, wrist pin, and a touch on the piston. After final assembly turn over the engine with your fingers, without a glow plug in just to make sure you don't have any clearance issues as stated above.

Thanks for the info just took it apart and I had it in backwards! Thanks

I did something similar to that last breaking in a 3.3 i had the one way bearing on backwards.it was already installed in a ezstart i had and then had the wires backwards on the motor.i was sinning the hell out the motor and couldnt get it to run,wouldnt pic fuel up running bac kwards it makes u feel real smart when u do do smething like that

Back