Dual servo suggestions for ax10 scorpion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome! Probably still get new ones ordered, but use these till the new ones come in. My daughter has been itching to use this one since her bday party a couple weeks ago.
You can grab those cheapo Amazon servos. They aren't bad for the price. Far better than the Traxxas servos.

If you want something a bit better Amain has a lot of servos. It's hard to pick really. I like Savox brand. Though they are power hungry servos, so sometimes you need that external BEC I meantioned before.

For that truck, I'd look for a servo with at least 300oz/in torque. Our Ryft has a Tekin servo running at 8.4v with 502oz/in torque, but it's a lot heavier rig. But the more the better for crawlers. For servo speed I'd stay below .120. The lower the number on the speed the better as that represents how long it takes the servo to travel 60°. It just depends on your budget for servos.

You also have to pay attention to spline count because that could cause you to have to buy new servo horns.

Got everything all hooked up and operating but now there is very minimal steering. Can’t seem to get the video to post. But we are thinking we need to a different servo or move the current one on the front?

IMG_1128.jpeg

Got everything all hooked up and operating but now there is very minimal steering. Can’t seem to get the video to post. But we are thinking we need to a different servo or move the current one on the front?

View attachment 187271
That needs a longer servo horn. The more parallel with the axle that you get the steering link on an axle mounted servo the better.

To post a video, upload it to Youtube and paste the link to the video in your post.

can we buy longer horns or do we just have to get a whole new servo setup?

can we buy longer horns or do we just have to get a whole new servo setup?
You can buy horns. I think the Traxxas servos are 25 spline.

You could also remove the link at the steering knuckle and put a spacer in there to raise that end up. That will take some different hardware there.

The longer horn will get you more steering, but it will also make your servo struggle more. Adding a spacer under the link will give you more more steering, but not as much as the longer horn.

See if these are longer. The farthest hole is 24.5mm from the mounting hole.
Apex RC Products Black 25T for Futaba/Savox Aluminum Servo Horn - 3 Pack #8029 https://a.co/d/iavBjBF
1712328051092.png

Measure yours here
Screenshot_20240405_104239.jpg

Last edited:
I would look into getting new servos. I have nothing against using any manufacturers servos, as it is all personal preference. But those particular Traxxas servos (2055's) are only rated at 86oz. Plus without a servo saver (like how crawlers are setup) those plastic gears probably won't last long.

You can buy horns. I think the Traxxas servos are 25 spline.

You could also remove the link at the steering knuckle and put a spacer in there to raise that end up. That will take some different hardware there.

The longer horn will get you more steering, but it will also make your servo struggle more. Adding a spacer under the link will give you more more steering, but not as much as the longer horn.

See if these are longer. The farthest hole is 24.5mm from the mounting hole.
Apex RC Products Black 25T for Futaba/Savox Aluminum Servo Horn - 3 Pack #8029 https://a.co/d/iavBjBF
View attachment 187272

Measure yours here
View attachment 187273
I took off the horn and I believe it would be the same size as those? It’s metal not plastic. I thought it was plastic till I took it off. So I’ll need one probably closer to 35mm.

IMG_1129.jpeg

I took off the horn and I believe it would be the same size as those? It’s metal not plastic. I thought it was plastic till I took it off. So I’ll need one probably closer to 35mm.

View attachment 187282
Yours is 18mm. So the one I linked would be 6.5mm longer.

I overlayed one of those horns on your scale. This is how big it should be.
Untitled196_20240405135403.png

But I am betting those servos will struggle moving those tires around with this horn. Grab those Amazon servos while you're at it.

Last edited:
We swapped the servo horns around, which seem to work out better. Didn’t realize it was longer. But definitely ordering new servos today. The one you posted the link to come with horns that are the length you recommended. So now we are going to anchor everything down, tighten up some of the links and take it outside for a test spin!

IMG_1131.jpeg

We swapped the servo horns around, which seem to work out better. Didn’t realize it was longer. But definitely ordering new servos today. The one you posted the link to come with horns that are the length you recommended. So now we are going to anchor everything down, tighten up some of the links and take it outside for a test spin!

View attachment 187287
wickedfrog i see you are located in Indiana, are you going to axial fest this summer at the badlands?

wickedfrog i see you are located in Indiana, are you going to axial fest this summer at the badlands?
I wish I could. I am disabled, and homebound. Would love to take our Axial rigs up there.
20220322_003102.jpg

Screenshot_20240114_054413.jpg

20220417_155142.jpg

If you get a video upload it to YT and paste the link here. Would love to see it in action!

shoot! we are thinking of taking my daughter to it. she even got lights for the this rig for the night crawl they do. Ill definitely take a video and post it on youtube and give yall the link!
It's a really cool event. A lot of the well known Youtubers go. I think I remember Kevin Talbot even talking about going sometime. The pics of all the rigs there is crazy. Where are you guys from?

It's a really cool event. A lot of the well known Youtubers go. I think I remember Kevin Talbot even talking about going sometime. The pics of all the rigs there is crazy. Where are you guys from?
about two and a half hours south of Chicago. Thats neat, not sure ill recognize some of them. since we just recently started into this hobby. and I've watched so many videos lately to figure stuff out with our rigs i dont remember all of the guys names and faces haha.

about two and a half hours south of Chicago. Thats neat, not sure ill recognize some of them. since we just recently started into this hobby. and I've watched so many videos lately to figure stuff out with our rigs i dont remember all of the guys names and faces haha.
Oh, I am sure any of the big youtubers will have camera guys following them around lol.

Oh, you're not far from that dairy farm that has the little cafe. Ever been there? They have the best ice cream I have ever tried... by far. The tour they have is pretty cool too.

Last edited:
Oh, I am sure any of the big youtubers will have camera guys following them around lol.

Oh, you're not far from that dairy farm that has the little cafe. Ever been there? They have the best ice cream I have ever tried... by far. The tour they have is pretty cool too.
I’m not sure. What is the name of the place?

Back