The "What did you buy today?" thread...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been a pricey week.
New action camera, just a cheap one, but does a decent job, took a couple bashing videos with it at 1080@30fps:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/my-latest-bashing-vids.113919/#post-1111968
AKASO EK7000, got a refirb on ebay for $50

RC Stuffs:
Steel stock to make a rear support for the e-jato since I can't run a roll bar anymore.
Jato complete Diff
20T pinion for the e-conversion
Jato Single Speed conversion
-- fried during my first run after about 8 minutes
Just ordered:
Hot Racing steel jato single speed conversion
Traxxas Steel CVD's for the jato
21T Pinion. Not sure if 20T is too high/low or not, so ordered a 21T just in case. Didn't run long enough to tell if I was overgeared.

Erevo Brushless edition. Used but with only a few runs on it.
It's the first "larger scale" rc that I have had since the Baja 5B I got from Chip Cross back in the day.
@alpinehyperlite remember that thing?

Yea bro. I was just thinking about him the other day. Really miss that dude.

New spur for the e-jato, gearing down a bit.
fans for the esc/motor in the jato
MIP rebuild kit to fix my center cvd in my revo
4 new lipo packs, 2 7200's and 2 9500's, all 2S. Waiting for SMC to get a pair of the 7200's in stock. Hope to get them by Memorial Day weekend.

@olds97_lss
Are you a big fan of SMC lipo's? I need to pick some up for the erevo and they came highly recommended from another guy.

@olds97_lss
Are you a big fan of SMC lipo's? I need to pick some up for the erevo and they came highly recommended from another guy.
So far, yes. Has been the only thing I ran aside from turnigy packs for my micro's. I only bought them because of all the good reviews and the price. They sell at a price point per MAH that is tough to beat.

When my order comes in, I'll have 10 of them:
4 x 9000mah 2S 60C
4 x 7200mah 2S 90C
2 x 9500mah 2S 150C

Was intending on running the new 9500's in my erbe along with the 9000's I have. If you use a shoehorn, the 9000's fit in the e-jato. The 9500's are listed with a bit smaller dimensions than the 9000's, so they may be a good candidate for the e-jato as well. However, considering the 3 extra minutes they got me in my jato vs the 7200's, might be best to stick with the lighter 2S packs in it.

Oh awesome. So you would recommend the 9500 2S for the ERBE or the 7200?

Oh awesome. So you would recommend the 9500 2S for the ERBE or the 7200?
I don't have the 9500's yet, so I can't say. However, the 9000's work just fine in my erbe and get me between 35-45 minutes of runtime per pair. 35 when offroad/at the park, 45 when at the skatepark. Since the 9500's have better specs than the 9000's (which aren't listed anymore), I wouldn't foresee any issues with them in an ERBE, which is why I bought 2 of them.

My goal is to at most take 2 trucks and be able to run nearly non-stop for 4 hours. As it is, I have about 140 minutes of constant run time if I take my ERBE, 2 sets of 9000's and my jato or stampede with 2 7200's. 140 minutes of runtime turns into 4 hours with driving and futzing around. With the packs I ordered, I should have roughly 240 minutes of run time. So, with that I should end up with 6+ hours... which is probably more than I can take standing/walking around without needing a nap. lol

Haha, yeah I hear that. That sounds like plenty of runtime to me!

My only concern is that they state the True Spec Extreme 2S 9500 is not really intended for use everyday. Its more of a race pack rather than a beater pack and is more susceptible to swelling and reduced lifespan . That's what I got from their description anyway.

I haven't raced a day in my life and the truck is going to be used for the kids to jump a ramp and scoot around the yard so i am just looking for lifespan and reliability out of the packs and not necessarily extreme performance.
I might be better off with the 7200's True Spec Premiums.

Side note, what connector are you using? I have always run deans but am considering a change to XT 90 or EC5

Last edited:
Haha, yeah I hear that. That sounds like plenty of runtime to me!

My only concern is that they state the True Spec Extreme 2S 9500 is not really intended for use everyday. Its more of a race pack rather than a beater pack and is more susceptible to swelling and reduced lifespan . That's what I got from their description anyway.

I haven't raced a day in my life and the truck is going to be used for the kids to jump a ramp and scoot around the yard so i am just looking for lifespan and reliability out of the packs and not necessarily extreme performance.
I might be better off with the 7200's True Spec Premiums.

Side note, what connector are you using? I have always run deans but am considering a change to XT 60 or 90
I'm guessing if you pushed them to their limit every run, then yeah, like any lipo, they would have a shorter life. Just because they are rated at a certain amount doesn't mean you will get it there. Then again, what do I know. I've only been running electric for 5 months! I know my ERBE did/does fine with the 60C packs with 56/18 gearing. The packs barely warm up after they are used and LVC kicks in. I check them every time. The highest I've seen was 103F. That was on a 75F+ day after running it pretty hard.

I guess I'll find out first hand how the 9500's do. I didn't see that blurb on the site when I bought them.

I just use the standard traxxas connectors. Since my ERBE was my first, it came with those and I stuck with them. Personally, after using deans in the past for receiver packs/charger coupler cables, I found the TRX connectors easier to solder.

I'll wait to hear your runtime review of the 9500's before buying anything. Honestly i would probably be ok with either pack.

I had trouble getting 10AWG wire to fit in the traxxas connector. It would solder ok but i had to file it a bit to make it fit after. They are high dolla too!

After reading up a bit, i think i will swap over to EC5

I too would recommend SMC batteries. Great quality batteries for a price that won't break the bank.

$94 later I have a pair of True Spec Premium 7.4V 7200mAh on pre-order.
EDIT: and $26 for 8 new EC5 connectors. o_Oo_O

Decided to go with the 7200 vs the 9500 as they will fit the slash 4x4 and are a little lighter.

Last edited:
No buying today, just giving.

KbiO7kN.jpg

Huge congrats Lloyd! I expect a full ride report.
Thanks! Ordering new springs today. Bad thing is it is extremely choked up from all the smog crap. Even has reeds in the air box. Need to get all that pulled then remapped.

Wow, that's just crazy. Speaking of moto, this showed up today, forgot I had ordered it honestly, all for the DRZ.

EBC Sintered Extreme Pro Race Brake Pads (for the front)
EBC Sintered R Series Brake Pads (for the rear)
Hiflofiltro Oil Filters (2)

The fronts are the most expensive pads I've ever bought, hope they were worth it.

AZLxCId.jpg

I use the same oil filters. Cheap but do their job nicely.