The Crawl Chronicles

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Xraycer The little guys are just so convenient!

I actually didn't bring the F-18 today, because we haven't been flying much and I wanted to get back in the groove before I brought it out for it's maiden flight.

I felt really dumb because I just bought a new batch of batteries for my planes, charged them last night. This morning I put some velcro strips on them, and then forgot to put the batteries back in my case. It was still good to get out of the house and into the fresh air.
My buddies always give me a hard time because I wear shorts no matter what the weather is like. ;)

Jan1st 2022- A new beginning, going to try to get out and play more this year. :)

Today was a beautiful day, 52°F and sunny. I was supposed to Fly my RC planes today but left my batteries on the kitchen table. DOH! :doh:

Fortunately El Diablo (My Element Sendero HD) came along for the ride today, so things weren't a total loss. When my buddies were done flying I stopped at the other end at a field where we fly.

There are about 20 piles of dirt and stuff from construction further down field. I call this location "The Mounds". I should have taken a shot of the field, looks like a bunch of giant ant hills.

The mounds have been problematic as they are loose dirt and very difficult to climb. I thought since we have had rain recently I would give them a try again, hoping that the rain might have packed it down a bit.

There are some really nice lines, but traction just isn't happening. The rain helped a bit, and a bunch of weeds popped up which helped a little more, but it's still just to loose packed. I did get a few good runs but for the most part it is not crawler friendly.

I have an urge to take a couple of bags of quickcrete out there an sprinkle it on the mounds before the next rain. :p I had to give up my efforts today when I killed my steering servo. I've got to get out and find some new places.

View attachment 139938
Awesome brother, glad to see it. I wish I could say the same thing. I woke up to -2 and it's only 10F now.

@Xraycer The little guys are just so convenient!
It is pretty sweet to be able to just step out my back door!

Fact is, my SCX24s are now better crawlers than my 1/10s. Also, wet terrain and snow doesn't slow them down much either.

It's cold out, I'll step into the train room...:cool:

IMG_0197.JPG
IMG_0198.JPG
IMG_0195.JPG
IMG_0196.JPG

The Xmaxx was a bit of an overkill on the table. :p
The wife can't make up her mind, she either wants the HO scale train set up in the back bedroom or a 1/24 crawler course. I'm leaning towards a crawler course.

Last edited:
Jan. 8th 2022.
Feel pretty good to have made it out to play two weekends in a row.Today I took "Ogre" out to the flying field with me so I could stop by "The Mounds" when I was done flying.

With the ground still being damp I found a couple of the mounds I could get lines up. Most of them are still too loose packed to get any traction. Overall a good session.

I think I am getting closer to getting my flying buddy to cave in and get an Scx24. I'll keep whittling away at him. ;)

Not a glamorous spot, but it's what I've got at the moment. "The Mounds"
PSX_20220108_145337.jpg

PSX_20220108_144916.jpg

PSX_20220108_145243.jpg

Jan. 8th 2022.
Feel pretty good to have made it out to play two weekends in a row.Today I took "Ogre" out to the flying field with me so I could stop by "The Mounds" when I was done flying.

With the ground still being damp I found a couple of the mounds I could get lines up. Most of them are still too loose packed to get any traction. Overall a good session.

I think I am getting closer to getting my flying buddy to cave in and get an Scx24. I'll keep whittling away at him. ;)

Not a glamorous spot, but it's what I've got at the moment. "The Mounds"
View attachment 140304

View attachment 140305

View attachment 140306
That looks like the same kind of surface we had here for awhile. The ground just peeled away as loose sand. Adding the Mudslingers helped a lot. It's actually a shame because just like ours was, it looks like a ridiculously cool crawl area. It actually made me want to get some concrete and lock the surface in 😜

Saturday I picked up a inner fender kit with the rubber extensions for my TRX4 Sport. After installing them Saturday night I needed to test it out Sunday. It was the 1st time I did anything to the TRX since I got it almost 2 years ago. I have to admit it I was pleased with how well it went.
So Sunday I went on a 3 mile trail ride up the mountain. Everything went well. The fender kit kept the inside clean. The kit didn’t seem to affect the handling at all.

February 5th, 2022 new location...."The Valley of Doom""

Went scouting for a new flying field and stumbled across a new place to play with my crawlers. Another construction dumpsite of giant dirt piles.

Don't know how long it will be here, could be weeks could be days. Looks like it's been here 6 months to a year already. Going to take advantage of it while I can.

The dirt is similar to my old spot "The Mounds" tricky to get any bite. But a bit more stuff to hold on to. It is challenging for sure. I had my SCX24 Deadbolt with me just in case, ended up having a really good time.

Hard to tell from the pic, but this is in the center of the valley, peaks all around it.
PSX_20220205_150657.jpg

This is one of the outer rim hills surronding "The Valley of Doom" this is as far as I could make it up. From there I took about an 11foot tumble back down to the base of the hill, don't ask how many times I did that before I made it this far.
PSX_20220205_150208.jpg

Another line up the hill.
PSX_20220205_145537.jpg

This is one of the better sections for traction, you really can't tell how steep it is, but flipping is easy if your not careful. Some sections require slow and steady, some flooring it just to gain an inch.
PSX_20220205_154424.jpg

Looking forward to going back, curious to know how the 1/10 scale rigs handle the terrain.

February 5th, 2022 new location...."The Valley of Doom""

Went scouting for a new flying field and stumbled across a new place to play with my crawlers. Another construction dumpsite of giant dirt piles.

Don't know how long it will be here, could be weeks could be days. Looks like it's been here 6 months to a year already. Going to take advantage of it while I can.

The dirt is similar to my old spot "The Mounds" tricky to get any bite. But a bit more stuff to hold on to. It is challenging for sure. I had my SCX24 Deadbolt with me just in case, ended up having a really good time.

Hard to tell from the pic, but this is in the center of the valley, peaks all around it.
View attachment 141521

This is one of the outer rim hills surronding "The Valley of Doom" this is as far as I could make it up. From there I took about an 11foot tumble back down to the base of the hill, don't ask how many times I did that before I made it this far.
View attachment 141522

Another line up the hill.
View attachment 141525

This is one of the better sections for traction, you really can't tell how steep it is, but flipping is easy if your not careful. Some sections require slow and steady, some flooring it just to gain an inch.
View attachment 141524

Looking forward to going back, curious to know how the 1/10 scale rigs handle the terrain.
Were you able to peak Mt. Doomahakala ?

February 12, 2022 Doom valley

Ventured back to Doom Valley to try and conquer Mt. Doom today. First up was the Furbolt (SCX24 Deadbolt) he couldn't make it to the peak last time and wanted another shot. Sadly, didn't make it any further than last time after several valiant attempts.

Next up was the FMS Atlas 6x6, did pretty well after a few rough starts, takes a different bit of handling than the SCX24 Deadbolts. After several tries it passed Furbolts record by a couple of feet. It made it so close to the top a couple of times but just couldn't close the deal.

Atlas, so close, but no enchilada.
PSX_20220212_175145.jpg

Last but not least, "Ogre" (SCX24 Deadbolt) wanted a crack at Mt Doom. After several attemps it looked like it would fall just short of the atlas, but it was having none of that, on the last go it was the first to crest Mt Doom's peak!

Ogre's Glorious success!
PSX_20220212_174952.jpg

It was a total blast today, I spent a little over an hour at the new spot and really had a good time. I already miss my winter temps, spring has sprung, it was 81°F today, I am a big fan of 65°ish. Won't be long now and summer will be rearing it's ugly head and we will be back in the hundreds. But until then...gonna play while I can.

Next trip to Doom Valley I want to bring a 1/10 crawler and see how it does. And if I can remember to charge the GoPro, I might even get some video.

Back