suspension setup question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrferly2004

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have rpm a arms on my maxx. I've been running it with the shocks attached to the middle hole on the bottom a arms. I've been thinkin about moving them to the outer-most holes in order to obtain a little better handling. Do u guys think I will notice any difference? I do drive on solely rough terrain but don't do much jumping. Any advice/input is appreciated

u will notice a slight difference,as your maxx will be slightly lower to the ground,what kind of terrain does it see?....all terrain,?,grass,road,hardpack,loose dirt,,carpet perhaps?

99% off-road. Lots of gravel and loose rocks. Also lots of leaf cover(as I never rake my 10 wooded acres). Every so often I take it to hard packed dirt

I set my shocks at outer holes top/bottom. It's a nice blend between ride height and suspension response. I also run Traxxas progressive rate springs, the white ones and the 1/4' preload. I do general bashing, high speed runs on/ off road, minor jumps, loose dirt raw field etc. Does pretty well overall. Still some body roll and brake dive but is manageable.

i would say ,if your not doing jumps and just mainly rippin around on the loose stuff then a litle lower deffinetly wouldnt hurt,also depends how big the rocks are and ruts ect,if its on the smoother side then i would move em out and c how she does,but if the rocks and such are on the bigger side a little more height would help along with a softer spring setting,on hardpack you can run a maxx low and tight but on rocky,bumpy loose stuff higher and looser is where to be,also it will only take you a few minutes to move the shocks so in reality you dont have anything to loose

have u guys ever used rc raven progressive springs(the black ones)? I got a set of 4 laying around. They r super stiff and was thinkin bout using 1 on each arm matched with stock red ones.

I run a set of stiff and a set of stock springs on the Traxxas Big Bore metal shocks then find it a good mix even on jumps and bumpy terrains. I also run my caster spacers on the rear of the front suspension arms. I have the stiffer springs on the outside shocks and been running them this way for abut 9 years on my 4910 TMaxx. I use 40 weight oil in all the shocks.

My camber settings are 90 Degrees on both front and rear. The front still digs in when cornering because of the caster setting.

I run on loose dirt most of the time so I have a slight toe out on the front for loose dirt then better cornering and about a 2 degree toe in on the rear for traction.

Having your suspension arms sitting level with the ground will provide you with the Widest Stance on the a TMaxx and this is the way most racers will set the suspension for better handling.

This site is not geared towards R/Cs but they are very similar to real cars and trucks with the suspension settings.

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

Last edited:
Back