Duratrax by Futaba transmitter seems dead

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronTom

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Out of the barn ! comes Nitro_EVADER_ST !!! but it had a busted swing arm 🤕
A little R&R and good as new.
New batteries - checked all wiring to switch & receiver. Looks A-OK
The cheapo transmitter (by Futaba),,, silly saying, like my cellphone (by GeneralElectric).
New batteries, red lite = power ON - OK. Now what ?
It seems absolutely mute, wiggle every knob/switch/trigger/button/slider, zero nothin'.

Back to the servos-switch=OFF. Twist the throttle wide open, and turn wheels far left. Now switch power ON.
The throttle servo rotates to idle. The steering servo 'lurches' to center.
The car is ready, and set, waiting for GO from transmitter.

Then, I noticed the transmitter 'hole' marked X'TAL is empty. ??? A friend advised that may be for additional channels ???
Its been a few years since me, my son, and my grandson played with it. Now I remember,,,, I hit the curb, breaking the swing arm !
I questioned, but nobody can say there was ever somthing plugged it there ! The manual ? no mention of a X'TAL
But its dead.

We switched to quiet battery powered toys. cars, boats, flyers,,,, so ME & my old U-control-line planes went to the antique sale.

Any help is appreciated.

Older systems used discrete crystals (matching colors/numbers in radio and receiver) for each channel (AM or FM). Some later systems had switches on both radio and receiver to select a channel.

Sounds like you have an older system that needs crystals. Is there one in the receiver? If so, you'll need a matching one for the radio. I don't know of a source to purchase them these days.

Well gol-lee Andy ! If its loaded, its too heavy, so I keep the bullet in my pocket !

Sure-enough, a search thru the box(s) found the matching 'Orange' tabbed crystal.
( I hadn't associated that to the antenna Orange flag )
It works perfect !

Hats OFF to all you RCTALK folks !

if radio is missing corresponding crystal to receiver in evader. there's no communication. Id invest in a new 2.4 radio system. some can be found for under $50.
must be futaba crystal to work in radio there are sets available.

https://futabausa.com/product-category/accessories/receiver-accessories/crystals/
Thanks, poof. May be needing that link.

Glad the guys could help, IronTom. Heck give it a go. You can always upgrade to 2.4 later. This will give you a taste of 'old school'.

Cheers. 'AC'

Yes - finally.... had to order two new sets for channels 3 & 5. Best buy was from England !

Thanks to all !

Back