spring help please...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cummins Man

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
It seems that my savage tends to roll pretty easy when turned sharply, my question is, which springs will help this? I'm wanting to bump the oil wt. up also to about 25 or 30 wt. Also, where would be the best place online to buy this stuff, my lhs is about an hour and a half away.

I've seen the progressive springs, are they pretty good, or would I be better off just getting a spring with more coils?

FYI, I'm just a backyard basher that would like to have a little better handling at faster speeds.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I believe 40 weight is about the max you can go before you start bending shafts and blowing shocks apart on landings.

The savage is a high CG rig. It was designed that way. The only way to get it to handle corners very well is to make it lower CG. Stiffer springs/shocks probably won't help if you have grip, it will still tip. I know mine does. I run 40 weight with black HPI springs along with savage 21 tires. It will flip on it's side if I look at it funny.

Lower profile tires or less grippy tires, shock limiters to lower height and axle extensions to make it wider are things that will help.

1/2" offset wheels, 30-35 wt shock oil, one green spring, one black spring on the shocks at each wheel. That was my favorite all around setup.
Also I highly recommend picking up a set of the HPI FLUX Big Bore shocks, it will cost just a little more but the truck will handle 10X better. E-Bay is the place to find them. You only need 4 of these compared to 8 stockers.

From what I've read, 4 shocks don't hold up to the big air that 8 do. The ends snap off.

What are the green springs? Heavier or lighter than black?

Ok, Scrogg, the black springs your talking about, is that the stock ones, or is that another set?

Also, I know ebay is a good place to get things, but, is there another place online to buy things like this.

Black and purple are the same rate. The Green are mediums and help the truck sit with the arms level to the ground. This increases stability and handling.
Olds, you need to watch some vids of these guys PUNISHING the Flux trucks on Savage-Central. They'll take all the abuse the 8 shock setup can. For the average backyard basher they'll be perfect. Big air though nothing beats the 8 shocks with stock springs.
www.towerhobbies.com has them but the price will be a lot higher for the Flux shocks.
Tower is runnning a nice special on O'Donnell's glow plugs too. Great plugs, they are all I use.

Olds, you need to watch some vids of these guys PUNISHING the Flux trucks on Savage-Central.

My guess as to why is because the e-savage may be lighter by a decent amount. I can't recall where I read it, but guys were repeatedly busting the shock ends.

Not the crappy E-Savage, the Flux. It weighs about the same with that big brushless motor and two battery packs. I've watched them take some serious beatings, a guy could not land on all 4's to save his life. He was easily launching 10 feet up and 20+ feet out at speeds around 30mph. I just kept waiting for it to break, didn't happen. I ran a set with good results. They are super plush with dual rate springs that soak up the big jumps. They are also around 8mm shorter, which helps the rollovers. You need the X style arms to help protect the rod ends. On the older style 25 A-arms they are prone to snap the rod ends.

its the same for anything ,,,,big air stiffer shocks bad handling ,,,,,,,,,

Back