Smitty's ultimate thread.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^^^^

I actually have yet to snap a rod on any of my engines (well, RC engines, anyway). You'd think I would have by now; owned 40+ engines, rebuilt many of them at least once. Lucky, I guess.

1:1 cars is another story.........

Snapping a rod was the first thing I did in this hobby. Literally the first. It was a CXP .18...first time starting a nitro engine when priming my knuckly must have hit roto-carb. When I started it went WOT. Scared the crap out of me. Did not know how to even stop it...after about 15 seconds...it stopped. I fixed it still not knowing anything about the hobby so was baptized by fire. I know nothing about 1:1 cars (I work in software development) and had no plans on "wrenching" when we started this hobby. BUT...I'm a stubborn SOB so figured it out. After that I was like "maybe I should know what I'm doing before doing it".

With that--there are usually reasons why things break. What fuel u running?

Hey guys, it's been a while.
I wanted to pop in and say what's up, I've missed my nitro rc scene since I've left it... and I've been wantin to get back into it, we'll today I finally picked one up.
I'm pretty rusty and don't have much from before but I just picked up a Traxxas I thing 1/8th it's got reverse electric start and a diver head on the engine. It's been sitting for a while so will be getting new tank and lines along with a new rx and TX and block prolly.

The changes that have gone on is I now have a son, and I'm finally out in my own apartment with my fiance and son, so I don't have the most of time, but I do what I can.

I've grown up alot, and I'm excited to become part of the community again, hope to see some old faces!!

Thank you, I honestly was a little scared, and was sure if I was ready, but he has changed me beyond words, and I love him to death. Was born April 18th at 1058 6lbs 9.1oz 19" long.

And I'm pretty sure I got a 2.5 tmaxx. An older one, but the driveshafts are all really fat. And has a medal roll cage handle.
engine is froe going to soak it and hope it's not toast if so I'll throw a new one on. I'm not going crazy with this one, I just want it running....I say this now but I'm sure I'll get back into it bigtime lol.
she's dirty, but she's in pretty good shape not beat to crap.

I've now got 2 trucks and about to pick up a rhird, this hobby is just as addicting as before, but I'm a little more knowledgeable with mechanical stuff now so I'm still learning, tuned my second new engine and went so much better then the first one,
picking up a micro in a week and a half

I've now got 2 trucks and about to pick up a rhird, this hobby is just as addicting as before, but I'm a little more knowledgeable with mechanical stuff now so I'm still learning, tuned my second new engine and went so much better then the first one,
picking up a micro in a week and a half
Most women have a cupboard full of shoes, including my mother- so who says I can't have a cupboard full of RC cars!?

Couldn't have said that better myself, but my wife is really good about things, I make sure the bills are paid and everything then I play, I do what I can with what I make, but I'm about to get a new job been here 2 years and have about had enough, still home depot..
I'm getting her an electric so we can have some quality time :)

I gave a woman something electric a while back. She didn't need me any more.
I don't want to know what it was, but it probably involved wax.....

So to steer this conversion away from the inappropriate side of things, I'm going to presume it involved a plastic garden chair or whatever you latest inanimate object fetish is....

Lol yea you never give a woman an electronic, they'll find a way to replace you with it haha.
on a side note, had a run today, first time at the bike track, and I didn't have any issues at all, that's gotta be a first too.
this 65 dollar engine screams too, but I'm so not good at track racing... I love it but I suck, and yea, it's a bike track so I can only use sections at a time due to jumps and whatnot.

This was my first run with my 2.4 and it feels good to go 200 feet away without worrying about losing my rig. For real.

Tuning I've also come a long way, pinch test is 3 to 4 seconds, idle is a tad high(but takes off decent and settles at a low idle off wot, then rises a little.. what is this??) I've got a good trail of blue smoke, and temps are staying around 230 250 up in the 280s when I was running hard on track. Ran with body off.

And I've turned my truggy in a brugyy, a really high truggy for bashing, I readjusted my shocks and moved my back shock mounting spot to jack the back end up, and stretched the springs a little to actually support itself.

Pics next

20150725_174622_zpsrqrxnjvb.jpg

image-2015-07-25-07-27-51_zpskstceywp.jpg

20150725_165942_zps4uszlyat.jpg

20150725_165916_zpsugmx3diy.jpg

Last edited:
Lol yea you never give a woman an electronic, they'll find a way to replace you with it haha.
on a side note, had a run today, first time at the bike track, and I didn't have any issues at all, that's gotta be a first too.
this 65 dollar engine screams too, but I'm so not good at track racing... I love it but I suck, and yea, it's a bike track so I can only use sections at a time due to jumps and whatnot.

This was my first run with my 2.4 and it feels good to go 200 feet away without worrying about losing my rig. For real.

Tuning I've also come a long way, pinch test is 3 to 4 seconds, idle is a tad high(but takes off decent and settles at a low idle off wot, then rises a little.. what is this??) I've got a good trail of blue smoke, and temps are staying around 230 250 up in the 280s when I was running hard on track. Ran with body off.

And I've turned my truggy in a brugyy, a really high truggy for bashing, I readjusted my shocks and moved my back shock mounting spot to jack the back end up, and stretched the springs a little to actually support itself.

Pics next

20150725_174622_zpsrqrxnjvb.jpg

image-2015-07-25-07-27-51_zpskstceywp.jpg

20150725_165942_zps4uszlyat.jpg

20150725_165916_zpsugmx3diy.jpg
Nice truck- but needs a good clean :p

Lol thanks, I'm always lazy on cleaning, bad habit. She's running great, a little hot last run but had an air leak and fixed it didn't finish tuning was getting dark and nephew wanted to try it.
But on a side note I checked out the tmaxx engine today and put a pullstart on it for poop and she runs!! With a missing backplate corner and all half of screw is exposed.
but idles great. The issue now is its stuck in reverse but isn't engagin right and seems like when it's about to engage it cuts the engine, so I'm gonna but a new transmision.
I traded a "tabacco" pipe for. Hell of a grab!:)
Engine was sizes when I got it too

Pulled tranny, everything is beautiful inside, so I readjusted the slipper clutch and I feel I have fixed the issue, I will find out tomorrow when I try running her again.
I installed the bottom skid plate, reinstalled the gas tank and ran lines behind engine, tied exhaust to break tie and screwed the tie to the rx box screw.

She is in some serious need of servos and shocks.

Pulled tranny, everything is beautiful inside, so I readjusted the slipper clutch and I feel I have fixed the issue, I will find out tomorrow when I try running her again.
I installed the bottom skid plate, reinstalled the gas tank and ran lines behind engine, tied exhaust to break tie and screwed the tie to the rx box screw.

She is in some serious need of servos and shocks.
Sounds good, once you replace the broken or worn parts you'll have yourself a nice truggy- and for a good price :)

Didn't fix the issue. I think I need a new transmittion. But the engine runs for what I can do with it right now.
my trophy is good, but I gotta figure out this tmaxx issue

Didn't fix the issue. I think I need a new transmittion. But the engine runs for what I can do with it right now.
my trophy is good, but I gotta figure out this tmaxx issue
It might be that something's seized, follow and watch a teardown video like this:

It's actually the slipper clutch still. Has no friction pegs, and hasn't for a minute as the spur gear is eaten where they go.
So I'm buying the 3.3 kit for the classic tranny.
Here's what I'm ordering friday.
I also have to change clutch bell bearings, they spin but stick, oil did nothing.
Right now my goals are to get both trucks 100% and be done, maybe buy a buggy and short coarse to have veriaty but I'm not going wild like before.
My mind is still blown that this engine runs.

Screenshot_2015-07-29-01-13-00_zpsgussces5.png

4 servos. I know there analog it doesn't bother me. I'm a badher, I want waterproof before digital.
And this
Screenshot_2015-07-29-01-13-10_zpsal47o61o.png

I'll be stretching the tmaxx shocks as well to hopefully bring some life back to them but need new shocks nm whenever I get to it.
Right now I still have about a half quart of gas. I can go through a quart in about a week or so depending