Smitty's ultimate thread.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smittyzz

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
This is gonna be my main thread for updates, crashes, rebuilds, and new additions.
So for the last few days I haven't had servos so I haven't been able to run anything at all.
Decided to do a complete teardown of my two buggies and rebuild my truggy.

Ofna:
Rebuilt battery box.
Need to adjust brakes and throttle.
Checked all diffs. Front was dry, center was grease, rear was 90% dry. Now 10-7-3.
Awaiting servos, one way, hump pack, and pull start to be complete.

Rave:
All three diffs were dry. Now running 12-10-7.(all have for now)
Awaiting servos, one way, pull start, received, hump pack to be complete.
Might need an engine, or piston and sleeve for second TH .25.

Tamiya:
Rebuilt front end.
Need to re adjust camber and steering again.
Awaiting servos to be complete.

Awaiting packages:
1 Gallon of Red max 20% (they send 4 quarts, one of there quarts fills a traxxas quart to there fill line and then about another 2/5 more so I'm pretty sure they send more then a gallon) Arriving tomorrow!
2x Traxxas 2075's (tamiya)
2x Spring rc servos (to try, for ofna)

Next on order:
2 sets of a arms for 801 and 9.5.
A couple odds and ends parts for 801.
One way bearing for ofna
Pull start for ofna
Battery pack for ofna

Today I bought a husky mini screw driver torx set guaranteed for life that will grab screws that's my Traxxas Allen's won't.

I'm having withdrawals and really need to take some anger out so tomorrow can't come soon enough!

Last edited:
Let me know how those 2075 are my stock steering servo on my maxx is shot :(

What happened to the servos in the 801? Did they get borrowed by another kit?

Last edited by a moderator:
What happened to the servos in the 801? Did they get borrowed by another kit?

If you don't mind the grey bar hotel and never being able to own a firearm again.

They were junk 3003s that went back into my ofna then one died.
I've been moving over what I need to what rig will run.
But I'm about done with that. Soon my ofna will be Rtr as well

Let me know how those 2075 are my stock steering servo on my maxx is shot :(

what ones you have? most people hate the stock ones. I know a receiver pack can help that is what i am trying to see before i go spend 30.00 on a servo. I know i am getting some piss poor turning with the 2055

Yeah I have the 2055 and it won't turn to the right side half the time,I want something I can turn on the ground while not moving haha

Yeah I have the 2055 and it won't turn to the right side half the time,I want something I can turn on the ground while not moving haha

you can try a receiver pack, most people have nothing but issues. I know 100 percent what you mean. I just picked up a max it takes such wide turns lol. A upgraded servo might be in order. A better servo and a receiver pack i bet you will be like damnnnn. check this servo out this is on my list.
servo-- http://www.ebay.com/itm/151203105283?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

receiver pack i swear by these, now if you have the 4 AA battery on/off harness you need to upgrade to the on/off harness for receiver packs. There like 5.00 and whats cool is you can leave it in and there is a another wire to charge the battery with out needing to unhook stuff.
charger/battery , these batteries sell for like 10.00 and there 1600 mAh, they take like 7 hours or so to charge. http://www.ebay.com/itm/131035875497?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Got my servos finally today, along with my gallon of fuel. They are so much better then all the old and junk ones I've been using!
I did put them to the test.
Today they've been drenched in snow and have been splashed by water.
Like they have been SOAKING WET with no issues at all.
Very happy with the servos!

On another note I'm getting turned off by my Flysky combo.
Might have lost an RX today, and at about 500 feet its got about a second lag. This gets very annoying and is something I will not deal with..
So at some point I'll be looking for a new combo.

And my tower hobbies was running great! All besides my middle needle screw backing out at one point so I had to retune everything.

Also got steering almost perfect!

The 801 seems pretty durable, I though I was going to break something a couple times but she hasn't yet!
I stopped because I lost an axle pin but overall so happy
New pin in and all grubs tightened now that I have a decent screw driver kit!

Last edited:
Did you waterproof them?

No, as the one that came with my tx has gone through a lot more snow and water.
But I threw a bag over the original one to be safe.

Did you use loctite?

I did, but as stated, they were tightened now that I have a decent screw set.
All my Allen's are rounding out so I strip screws easy.
But I bought a husky torx set yesterday that's so much better. Grabs all my old screws I couldn't before and is high quality!
Before they were as tight as I could get them. I got them to turn at least another quarter inch with my husky set.

Got my servos finally today, along with my gallon of fuel. They are so much better then all the old and junk ones I've been using!
I did put them to the test.
Today they've been drenched in snow and have been splashed by water.
Like they have been SOAKING WET with no issues at all.
Very happy with the servos!

On another note I'm getting turned off by my Flysky combo.
Might have lost an RX today, and at about 500 feet its got about a second lag. This gets very annoying and is something I will not deal with..
So at some point I'll be looking for a new combo.

And my tower hobbies was running great! All besides my middle needle screw backing out at one point so I had to retune everything.

Also got steering almost perfect!

The 801 seems pretty durable, I though I was going to break something a couple times but she hasn't yet!
I stopped because I lost an axle pin but overall so happy
New pin in and all grubs tightened now that I have a decent screw driver kit!
I think i said i would not use that flycrap.

No, as the one that came with my tx has gone through a lot more snow and water.
But I threw a bag over the original one to be safe.

They're not rated as waterproof (or even water resistant). Mine have dealt with getting wet OK, but I don't play in the snow near as much as you do. Also, make sure your receiver pack is fully charged; lag is typical of weak batteries.

The good thing is that FS receivers are a whopping $7, so if you fry one, no biggie.

Having said that, I have yet to experience a failure with them. Been running them nearly a year in 16 different kits.

They're not rated as waterproof (or even water resistant). Mine have dealt with getting wet OK, but I don't play in the snow near as much as you do. Also, make sure your receiver pack is fully charged; lag is typical of weak batteries.

The good thing is that FS receivers are a whopping $7, so if you fry one, no biggie.

Having said that, I have yet to experience a failure with them. Been running them nearly a year in 16 different kits.

Yea I know there not, but no biggie like you said as there online 7 dollars a piece.
And I'm pretty sure my battery was fully charged as it charged from 8pm to 1pm. I forgot to unplug it Lol.
You have no lag issues at all being a little ways away? I have a second lag being like 500 feet away, it gets so annoying!

I don't get that far out very often, but when I have no, no issues. Really only see that kind of distance with my street fighter, which is now on ice, since the 801xt borrowed it's engine.

I don't get that far out very often, but when I have no, no issues. Really only see that kind of distance with my street fighter, which is now on ice, since the 801xt borrowed it's engine.

I don't ether unless I'm doing some speed runs to tune or worm up. In that second lag I could smash into something easy!

Its just annoying, because I dealt with lad growing up on computers and junk phones. I hate it Lol

So I'll eventually upgrade but for now it works!

On another note I almost got my tamiya ran over yesterday, was about half a foot away from a car tire that stopped thank god (was in a parking lot and drifting around and stuff didn't see them.

And last note.
Both my force, and my tower hobbies are running great with no leaking or anything!

Ran amazing today since I reset the carb back to factory, idles great, and takes off great! Needs a little more tuning. And I might need a new back plate, as there is a tiny amount of gas getting out of the shaft hole that the one way sits on, and its making my one way dirty and slip often. I tried using an orange o-ring but that hasn't helped.
And I am Rebuilding my pull start for the second time today, I double knotted and used super glue to try to keep the thing from pulling out. And yanked it pretty hard before I wound it up so I think she's good now.
Today I found out my shock damper? (Thing that's inside shock with holes that the shock oil goes threw) was unscrewed from my accident but fixed that.
Overall fun day!

---------- Post added at 5:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:30 PM ----------

Also ordered another pull start(HSP) and some hot glow plugs!

Messenger_5830502428553824547_13901001044779182_zpstrcirb7x.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

Messenger_5830500320927202827_13900996019839689_zps2oyul6ls.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

Messenger_5830499654743648892_13900994431863875_zpsr8liojpj.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

Messenger_5830499654743648892_13900994780975975_zpsmlo3kjzx.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

Messenger_5830499654743648892_13900995084583139_zps20wln5np.jpg

I like your color choice, nice and simple.

I haven't painted yet but I probably will after I scratched the s*** out of it

Not sure what you're using to trim the body with but I'd invest in some proper lexan scissors and go over what you've already trimmed. Or use some sandpaper to clean that up, and make that look nice.