Slash lacks power

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ischilk

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have 2 slashes 2wd I bought used. 1 did not have a motor when I got it. I installed new motor but it is slower than the other slash and goes through battery packs faster, even tried another new motor. The other slash is same setup but has more power on take off and top speed, battery packs last a long time in that truck. I calibrated speed control with transmitter but no change. Could it be speed control.

Motor could be shot. Titan's do tend to wear out.

umm... It could be that the one that is fast might be set to race mode and the other one could be set at training mode. I now that the training mode is slower then the race mode. if you have the manual for them you could go through it and set it to race mode if its not set to it..here is a link if you dont have the manual for it, http://www.traxxas.com/products/electric/5805/trx_5805_views.htm#manual..let me now if that helps any

Could be a different spur gear on the other kit?

Also possibly dirt/grit in the transmission case, wheel bearings, etc...that could cause power loss.

Motor could be shot. Titan's do tend to wear out.

Have tried 2 brand new motors.

umm... It could be that the one that is fast might be set to race mode and the other one could be set at training mode. I now that the training mode is slower then the race mode. if you have the manual for them you could go through it and set it to race mode if its not set to it..here is a link if you dont have the manual for it, http://www.traxxas.com/products/electric/5805/trx_5805_views.htm#manual..let me now if that helps any

Both are in sport mode. Tried race mode with no change.

Could be a different spur gear on the other kit?

Also possibly dirt/grit in the transmission case, wheel bearings, etc...that could cause power loss.

Wheel bearings are ok, no resistance. Spur is the same. Will go over everything again tomorrow.

man that is weird...it might be the esc on it..are the pinions the same to???

hmm yea the motor could be bad but there are "some" electric motors out there that take a bit of run time before they are "broken in".

maybe the other esc is going bad? I did manage to buy 1 bad titan..went out pretty quick and wasn't as fast as the rest of em

Did u break your motors in correctly! They should be broken in in water. To do it correctly check out the Western Pa crawelers site @ networkhobbies.com search electric motor breakin. The post is by Rock Crawler the president he takes u set by set on how to do it right.

If your running lipos ? your lipo protection may be on. If your batteries dont have a high C rating it will cut you back real fast. C rating should be atlest 30 or higher. I had to shut mine off and moniter it wile running b/c mine are only 20C. Just a thought. Running with out it is not safe unless your careful. Even then you can have an oops!!!

U can E mail traxxas and ask their tech support, they have heard it all I'm sure.

Better yet try taking the ESC out of the good one and see what it does. Might narrow it down real QUICK!! Atleast eliminate the esc from the equation.

I run lipo I just take mine off within 7-10 minutes to make sure I don't drain to much battery

I'm going to swap esc today, reverse doesn't work all the time so I think it's going bad.

similair weak power issue with new brushless 4x4

i drive with a few co worker that have all got new slashes around the same time so we are all stock. i pieced mine together with all new parts and bought the motor/ esc as a package new. off the line its sluggish but keeps up with top speeds, we switched batterys but mine behaved the same. all bearings are new and its not on training mode. when they turn and punch reverse they spin like taz, mine does larger circles and looks weak. similair weakness when going forward also... any ideas?

make sure you've got the right Titan 12T... there's some Titan motors from earlier trucks which aren't 12T.