servos?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

half_pint

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
some one fill me in here....

Whats the difference between all the different kinds of servos?
I was looking into replacing the servos on my husbands savage since they aren't working the best, and I would like to get some water resistant/proof ones for my LST.

my head hurts from looking at all the specifications and ratings.

thanks in advance for any advice!!

what you want to use them for will depend on what specs to look at.

for steering on a MT you want one with a lot of torque and metal gears. for throttle, or for a light onroad car or stadium truck you would want a fast one.

they are rated by mg for strength, or by speed as in .06sec that is from full chock one way to full chock the other way.

does your savage have a receiver pack? if not, that would help the servos a lot.

If it's the stock one you def want to upgrade. The stock Savage servo is way under powered. For the mt's you want around 200oz torque for good steering. As for waterproof,you'll probably have to do that part yourself.

If your just a couple of bashers (like myself), I spend a hair more and get decent servos that are sealed.

The hitec 985MG is a solid servo that is sealed and has good speed and torque (.13sec 172oz @ 6V) for pretty much any use, be it steering or t/b. They can be bought for $60-$70. Really, those are all I buy anymore. They last a good long while as well. The ones in my aftershock (throttle/brake) has about 3 years worth of run time on it and it still works great.

I did seal the case a bit with RTV around the case halves and pigtail just as a precaution. Even though they are sealed with o-rings. I use the same one in my savage and it ran in my revo for over a year as a steering servo, but now is my t/b servo in the savage.

I'll be running two in my slayer I just picked up, one for steering, the other for t/b.

If I ever come across a better bang for the $ servo, I'll post em up. So far, these are as good as I need and then some.

Last edited:
I just done the big servo search yesterday myself and while HK (in the above link) has inexpensive servos their packing/shipping methods are less than efficient, to put it kindly.
I found the HK quality with near their prices stateside at this place- http://www.hobbypartz.com/servos1.html
But after a great deal of searching decided to give this on e a try- http://www.helidirect.com/towerpro-mg995-high-speed-torque-digital-servo-p-1145.hdx as it looks good for the money, yet cheap enough no harm is done if it's "crap."
Regards,
Rob.

Plasti-dip is AWSOME I've had my LST2 through some really sloppy thick mud and never had a water problem.. Make sure to do your batt. pack if you're going to plasti dip though, I forgot to do mine some how lol... 18 bucks... Good luck!!

I just done the big servo search yesterday myself and while HK (in the above link) has inexpensive servos their packing/shipping methods are less than efficient, to put it kindly.
I found the HK quality with near their prices stateside at this place- http://www.hobbypartz.com/servos1.html
But after a great deal of searching decided to give this on e a try- http://www.helidirect.com/towerpro-mg995-high-speed-torque-digital-servo-p-1145.hdx as it looks good for the money, yet cheap enough no harm is done if it's "crap."
Regards,
Rob.

we found the same thing (the second one) but we got a 4 pack for $33

Dang, wish I'd found the one on Helidirect! That looks like the same (specs) as the one I thought was a great deal, at 30$.. I dont know what s/h is, but $18 is a sweet deal!!

The "towerpro" MG995 servos aren't bad for the money if your a basher. However, the movements are pretty coarse and they don't center well at all. They also overshoot the EPA's you set by a decent margin.

That said, I've been running one in my jato for steering for about 2 years now. Good enough for bashing.

I've heard they have a high failure rate though. Some come dead out of the box, others die within a short time.

$15-$20 isn't too much to gamble though. Which is why I do own at least 1. ;)