Rustler wheelies

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamboh

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have some duratrax monster truck wheels on the back of my rustler, and Amazon SCT wheels on the fronts.

The rustler is doing a lot of wheelies, and understeers heavily all the time except while braking.

What sort of wheels and tires would be a better choice for rough off-road racing? We have a mixed class series with all kinds of trucks. Do regular stadium truck wheels fit?

I'm new to ST, only know about SCT.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks guys.

IMG_20230611_015436196.jpg

IMG_20230611_015500562.jpg

IMG_20230611_015303405.jpg

Welcome to RCT. Awesome truck! Thanks for sharing pics 😁

Racing tread stadium truck tires and half of the ride height you have right now.
Exactly.

If you want to be remotely competitive in ST, which you're already handicapped with a a Rustler, 2.2" ST tires appropriate for the track, and drop it a great deal. You'll also have to figure out springs and shock oil for the specific track, but I'd start with medium rate springs and 30 wt oil.

Proline & JConcepts are my go-to names for buggy and ST tires.

You'll still get clobbered by drivers running Associated, TLR, Xray, Schumacher, Tekno, etc. kits that are built for racing, but at least you'll be able to keep it rubber side down and land some jumps.

I agree with what's been said above. My brother and I run rustler 2wd's against each other on a track at home. It's dusty hard pack clay. TBH the stock Alias tires do really well on it. I've tried some DTX sct tires with less than great results, too skinny. The rustler is a fine rig for scrimmage racing but, not gonna cut it against any legit racing stadium trucks IMO. The weight bias is just all wrong, plus adjustability just isn't really there.

If your running track id simply advise going to some associated 12mm dish st wheels in 2.2 and go to some proline.. there are a ton of options for amazing tires in 2.2 and thats what really needs to be on there to step up the game. You'll also drop the Cg with these. Get your arms sitting level under its own weight. Tune tune tune.
Rustler CAN be made to handle a lot better. With work.
If I were going to race a rustler this is what I'd Start with.
2.2 AE dish
Proline's (model depends on surface)
SRT front carbon tower
STRC threaded shock bodie
STRC shock caps
Proline Protrak arms for slash.
Mip cvd's
Fast eddy bearings
Rpm front hub/carrier.

Good starting point. Then setup/ tuning. Stock rear arms have more mounting holes for tuning.

Last edited:
I agree with what's been said above. My brother and I run rustler 2wd's against each other on a track at home. It's dusty hard pack clay. TBH the stock Alias tires do really well on it. I've tried some DTX sct tires with less than great results, too skinny. The rustler is a fine rig for scrimmage racing but, not gonna cut it against any legit racing stadium trucks IMO. The weight bias is just all wrong, plus adjustability just isn't really there.

Not really true, you put the Rustler in the hands of an experienced driver with the proper setup and it will win a mains. I've seen a guy do it with a Traxxass Bandit.

Not really true, you put the Rustler in the hands of an experienced driver with the proper setup and it will win a mains. I've seen a guy do it with a Traxxass Bandit.
Okay, I stand corrected. My apologies. I imagine there weren't much Traxxas left in it though? Not knocking them, they make a great 1/10 rig overall. A bit pricey out of the box I feel but parts are generally "cheap as chips" and a whole lot of fun can be had. Racing too I guess.👌🍻

. I imagine there weren't much Traxxas left in it though?

Probably just the gearbox and bulkheads.

The best way to describe a Traxxas kit on a track is floppy. They're built to take the punishment of inexperienced drivers and bashing, and so they're flexible in all the wrong places for racing. It's just not their market, and they sell plenty of products without being competitive on the track.

Probably just the gearbox and bulkheads.

The best way to describe a Traxxas kit on a track is floppy. They're built to take the punishment of inexperienced drivers and bashing, and so they're flexible in all the wrong places for racing. It's just not their market, and they sell plenty of products without being competitive on the track.
Agreed. Costs alot to get rid of the flex which is why I say there's not likely much TRX left once raceable. I leave thems as "in tact" as possible, only upgrading the repeated broken parts with upgrades. I don't race, but if I did, I have some Tekno that can do the job without any real changes needed. Well, save a driver change!!😉🤣🤣

Okay, I stand corrected. My apologies. I imagine there weren't much Traxxas left in it though? Not knocking them, they make a great 1/10 rig overall. A bit pricey out of the box I feel but parts are generally "cheap as chips" and a whole lot of fun can be had. Racing too I guess.👌🍻
Iirc it was basically stock.

Screenshot_20230618_182456_YouTube.jpg

Back