Rig of the Month Discussion thread

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like Doom mentioned, it's all in good fun. To me, if you are involved with it in some way and it is controlled remotely, I think anything can be cool. Maybe Woodie has certain criteria they need to adhere to, but as of yet I don't think that has been strictly defined. A lot of these weird remote control objects have probably benefited in some way from RC hobby technology anyway, so game on as far as I am concerned.
There is always common sense. I mean drone quad copters don't resemble any man piloted vehicle I ever saw, but I would certainly qualify them as RC. I don't think I saw any entries that are cheating common sense, but the rules don't seem to exclude photos someone took at the park or race track. Even if someone caught the equivalent of Bobby Orr flying, maybe that belongs elsewhere in the forum. The rules don't even seem to outlaw plagiarizing photos from google.
I think a rule should exist that the contestant should have had a real involvement or ownership of the vehicle presented in the picture, at least be able to produce it in real life. Sort of like 1:1 scale car shows. You bring in your car or a buddy's car you helped build and mutually decided you should enter it to win the trophy, something like that.
I don't think I really care about winning, though the Rig badge would be cool. I would only want it if it was honest. And with something I own or built.

There is always common sense. I mean drone quad copters don't resemble any man piloted vehicle I ever saw, but I would certainly qualify them as RC. I don't think I saw any entries that are cheating common sense, but the rules don't seem to exclude photos someone took at the park or race track. Even if someone caught the equivalent of Bobby Orr flying, maybe that belongs elsewhere in the forum. The rules don't even seem to outlaw plagiarizing photos from google.
I think a rule should exist that the contestant should have had a real involvement or ownership of the vehicle presented in the picture, at least be able to produce it in real life. Sort of like 1:1 scale car shows. You bring in your car or a buddy's car you helped build and mutually decided you should enter it to win the trophy, something like that.
It does say "your" RC I guess. So the dozer technically doesn't qualify. But it's still cool 😁

I wasn't sure what that dozer was, seemed toy quality, anyway, not my cup of tea. If I thought he built it, and synchronized the servos to work the arms, then I would upvote it.
My 1st time entering, I upvoted everyone I liked, and everyone who voted for me. Now, I think it's more fair game to only vote what grabs me, or impresses me from a build stand point. I am more a builder than driver, but I don't ignore action shots either. Ultimately, it comes down to what it is. What it does, can still turn my head, like I said, a working backhoe or dozer or similar complex machine that is uniquely built. I know posting text is somewhat frowned upon, but I think a 1 paragraph story should be encouraged. I like that most are posted with a quick description. I should have said that that build of mine was just before the upgraded radio, and deleted the big blue antenna.
I wish more non-contestants would vote, but it seems to be more of an "all-in or not-at-all" proposition.
Maybe add a rule that the contest winner must produce a photo next to a screen displaying the RC talk forum? That way, only your own vehicles can win, or have your friend take a picture of the rig next to an RC Talk forum screen, to prove you have the rights to post it.

Last edited:
Oh my, I should have came over here to try and win sooner! You mean to tell me I can even post my drones?!?! YEAAAAAAAAA BUUUDDDDDDDDYYYYYYYYYYY!!! Two time Arrma forum champion is here and this time I don't have to stick to Arrma!! IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG.

April is mine!!!!!

I kid I kid 🤣🤣

20240202_135847.jpg

Oh my, I should have came over here to try and win sooner! You mean to tell me I can even post my drones?!?! YEAAAAAAAAA BUUUDDDDDDDDYYYYYYYYYYY!!! Two time Arrma forum champion is here and this time I don't have to stick to Arrma!! IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG.

April is mine!!!!!

I kid I kid 🤣🤣

View attachment 185286
Man, i started getting into racing drones, and got really good at flying them in the simulators. But the OpenTX and that software you use to setup custom built drones left me wishing I had just bought a RTF one. And then the goggles are so darned expensive.

But I have been wishing there were more drone guys here so I could learn more about it. So please post some info on your drones. I'd love to see more about them.

Last edited:
Man, i started getting into racing drones, and got really good at flying them in the simulators. But the OpenTX and that software you use to setup custom built drones left me wishing I had just bought a RTF one. And then the goggles are so darned expensive.

But I have been wishing there were more drone guys here so I could learn more about it. So please post some info on your drones. I'd love to see more about them.

Haha the wifey and I have been into the fpv hobby for under a year. Only spent about 15 hours on the sim before I said yolo and tried IRL 🤣. When I first started, betaflight was intimidating af for me too, the expressLRS stuff wasn't so bad. Joshua Bardwell has so many awesome tutorials and just helpful videos in general

https://www.youtube.com/@JoshuaBardwell

<--- this is gold,

You definitely want to subscribe to that guy if you haven't already. Pretty much anything you could need help with he has a video on. Even easy to follow betaflight and expresslrs videos to get you started. I definitely think buying bind n fly is the way to go especially if you're a beginner. Our first few drones were bnf and then I got the itch to build one from the ground up. Building and setting up the software is really not as hard as it seems tbh. The actual drone is easier than an rc rig in my opinion as there are a helluva lot less parts. Even with betaflight, you can download presets that will have your drone at a pretty good starting point as far as tuning goes. Even the stock betaflight profile is decent.

I still have a long way to go but this is a video of me flying at the airfield 🤣

Haha the wifey and I have been into the fpv hobby for under a year. Only spent about 15 hours on the sim before I said yolo and tried IRL 🤣. When I first started, betaflight was intimidating af for me too, the expressLRS stuff wasn't so bad. Joshua Bardwell has so many awesome tutorials and just helpful videos in general

https://www.youtube.com/@JoshuaBardwell

<--- this is gold,

You definitely want to subscribe to that guy if you haven't already. Pretty much anything you could need help with he has a video on. Even easy to follow betaflight and expresslrs videos to get you started. I definitely think buying bind n fly is the way to go especially if you're a beginner. Our first few drones were bnf and then I got the itch to build one from the ground up. Building and setting up the software is really not as hard as it seems tbh. The actual drone is easier than an rc rig in my opinion as there are a helluva lot less parts. Even with betaflight, you can download presets that will have your drone at a pretty good starting point as far as tuning goes. Even the stock betaflight profile is decent.

I still have a long way to go but this is a video of me flying at the airfield 🤣
I have followed Bardwell for years. FPV Futures is another one I follow, but mostly just to see what's new. I haven't been into drones for about 7 years now, but maybe one day I'll pick it back up.

April is mine!!!!!

I kid I kid 🤣🤣

View attachment 185286
It's not too late, and I imagine you can enter the same pic as many times as you want, but can only win once per year. That's a cool drone, but watch out for my custom Blast boat. With 28 posts, you eligible to enter and vote.

It's not too late, and I imagine you can enter the same pic as many times as you want, but can only win once per year. That's a cool drone, but watch out for my custom Blast boat. With 28 posts, you eligible to enter and vote.
Oh I know! I just have a method to my madness. I've learned that if you don't post your picture on the first page you are at a big disadvantage. I will wait til april and make sure I'm on the first page.

I'm taking this way too seriously 🤣

Oh I know! I just have a method to my madness. I've learned that if you don't post your picture on the first page you are at a big disadvantage. I will wait til april and make sure I'm on the first page.

If you win on your first month we won’t have to worry about you for another year 😁

No, go away, you stole my Typhon 6S on AF. I need that 50$ gift card!!!!

The contest runs until the 25th I think. It didn't have to be submitted today.

Back