RC Vehicle Speed Calculator

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Guys we've added an RC Vehicle Speed Calculator to the front page of RCTalk, with more tools hopefully to come.

https://www.rctalk.com/rc-tools/rc-car-speed-calculator/

Check it out and share your thoughts on anything that needs to be improved upon.

If you have any ideas for more calculators please let me know!

Guys we've added an RC Vehicle Speed Calculator to the front page of RCTalk, with more tools hopefully to come.

https://www.rctalk.com/rc-tools/rc-car-speed-calculator/

Check it out and share your thoughts on anything that needs to be improved upon.

If you have any ideas for more calculators please let me know!
Pretty cool. But you would need to add a transmission ratio to that for some RC's.

I can get the world record now 😎😎

B86545EE-31DA-4D49-91A3-10D431A18B5C.png

1624A34D-8CEA-44D9-B239-3B1E87F4E9BF.png

Great job! keeping this forum alive is important and you're doing a great job at it.

One thing that would be cool, but I am sure very time consuming to put together would be an RC paint page, so we can see all the available colors from Parma Faskolor, Createx, Tamiya, Pro-Line, etc. I have been thinking about doing a thread on here, but I'm just too lazy 😜 Maybe one of these days.

One thing that would be cool, but I am sure very time consuming to put together would be an RC paint page, so we can see all the available colors from Parma Faskolor, Createx, Tamiya, Pro-Line, etc. I have been thinking about doing a thread on here, but I'm just too lazy 😜 Maybe one of these days.
What do you mean by "see all the available colors"? Paint samples, interactive 3D, color chart? I think, and just my opinion, but, a potentially easy way to see what a color might look like in the real world, as in, actually applied to a body, is to make it so that, in the paint and body section, anytime someone posts a body they painted, they have to list the exact color, as in, what company made the paint, what the color is called, paint codes if available. However, you are still only looking at a pic, and, almost every company makes a color chart that shows what all the colors are supposed to look like when applied, but rarely seem to look exactly the same after being applied, as they do in pics or on a color chart, so, even when people post a pic of the body they just painted, it may not look the same as if you painted a body using the same color. Too many factors to consider when talking colors and painting, such as lighting, camera used, camera settings, angle, shadows, just to name a few.

@WoodiE it says diff ring and diff pinion. I'm assuming if it's a 2wd 3 gear transmission, diff ring would be diff teeth and diff pinion would be the top gear tooth count?

@WoodiE it says diff ring and diff pinion. I'm assuming if it's a 2wd 3 gear transmission, diff ring would be diff teeth and diff pinion would be the top gear tooth count?
If it has a transmission, like a Traxxas with a built in diff, you would have to ignore the diff gear and just use the transmission ratio. So you would have pinion, spur, trans ratio, and tire diameter used in the equation.

You basically have to find every input and output shaft and know the ratio from the in to the out. So each section of the calc needs to be just one assembly. Pinion/spur, ring/pinion, transmission, etc. So if you need to omit a section, you should be able to just use 1:1 there.

Works great @WoodiE! Below is our drag Slash setup. The motor is a Tekin 4.5t, which is supposed to be around 9300Kv. I just set the diff ring and pinion at 1:1.
Screenshot_20230429-102205_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! I've been using this calculator which is similar but makes you figure out the final drive ratio yourself.

You could extend it to cover nitros just by adding to the instructions: "Motor KV / RPM for nitros" and: "Battery voltage: set to 1 for nitro engines"

Support for tire ballooning has now been added!

@tudordewolf I'm leaning towards making another calculator more suited for nitro. This would keep the labels of each input much cleaner and I think more user-friendly

Support for tire ballooning has now been added!

@tudordewolf I'm leaning towards making another calculator more suited for nitro. This would keep the labels of each input much cleaner and I think more user-friendly
I think you should change the 3.4v to 3.7v as that is what a 2s and so on consists of.

Nice! I think it may need a minor tweak; I'm getting 75mph from my setup which should read 50mph:

32,500 rpm, 23/39 transmission, 13/38 differential, 65mm tires

For a 1.7 transmission x 2.92 differential = 4.96 final drive ratio which are correctly assessed, but then the rollout reads 2.43, assuming that's inches, should be more like 1.63.

With "NItro" in the name, does that mean it will be more accurate with Nitro engines? Not being cute, just curious.

Hey, I have a suggestion. so when your setup goes over 40000 rpm it says in the little yellow box with the info I just said that a kv of 2050 and a voltage of 14.8. It says it EVERY TIME even if you have a different kv than the one it says. Does the same thing with the voltage too. Here is what I mean:
Screenshot 2023-05-01 3.13.55 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-01 3.13.18 PM.png

With "NItro" in the name, does that mean it will be more accurate with Nitro engines? Not being cute, just curious.
That's the plan. Leave suggestions on how to improve it. :)

Hey, I have a suggestion. so when your setup goes over 40000 rpm it says in the little yellow box with the info I just said that a kv of 2050 and a voltage of 14.8. It says it EVERY TIME even if you have a different kv than the one it says. Does the same thing with the voltage too. Here is what I mean:
View attachment 164706View attachment 164707

Well this is unfortunate. It should be putting the details from the two fields in real time, but clearly it's not. I'll see what I can do or adjust the message.

Well this is unfortunate. It should be putting the details from the two fields in real time, but clearly it's not. I'll see what I can do or adjust the message.
Okay.

I think may have misunderstood "ballooning diameter" - it works now at least. Thanks for adding it!

Back