Racing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swarmjt

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
went to a track today for the first time ever. had a blast.. ran five laps and broke a pivot ball... then i was wondering why i didnt have a tool kit with me to fix it?? so i decided to make this thread.

what are the things you keep or i should keep in my tool box (including parts)? i have a revo 3.3 and can't wait to get back out..

ill start us off....

Toolbox!!!

Hex drivers
hex keys
Flat and Phillips screw drivers
Presision screw drivers
Temp gun
Hammer (joking)
Flywheel puller
clutch tool
big pliers
small pliers
cutters
Socket set
Body reamer
Curved scissors
glow plug wrench
wheel nut wrench
dart tip (good for clearing the mud from under chassis screws)
Spare batteries (if using AA's)
charger
Spare donut wheel (if using starter box)
paint brush (for cleaning)
gaffer tape
electrical tape

spares...

glow plugs and as i dont have a Revo, i will leave the spares list to someone who has one

Dave

Another thing I think might be worth while- Determine if your Model uses metric or standard screws and keep a hefty supply of said screws on hand- all different sizes and diameters- preferably the closest match possible to those you have on your model (Check the manual for exact sizes then order a kit)

Keep the required fluids with you as well- After Run Oil, Shock oil in case you T-bone an upright and loose a shock. Most tracks will have charging stations (mine does NOT) so if there is electricity you got it made- if not, bring batteries.

Last but not least- after you determine what size drivers you will need for the screws, price hunt. You LHS will have the drivers you need- but chances are the Home Depot right down the street has some of the same quality, if not better- but cheaper.

There are a bunch of impromptu guides out there- I am sure you are well aware of track rules and polite behavior- but a few crucial tips I learned after many crappy, uncomfortable days behind the drivers podium:

Wear closed toe shoes.
Bring a hat, for shade
Bring water- I saw a guy dehydrate once... Fainted on the spot. Not the kind of slump back but more of a fall over the rail into the pit lane on top of a 500 dollar machine that was quite hot enough to leave 3rd degree burns along his back.

keep tips coming

what is proper etiquette

Are you running on-road or off-road??? One of the kindest things you can do on the track is get out of the way of faster traffic. I'm not saying that to be mean, what I'm saying is in most cases there's almost always someone faster than you, when you're running your qualifiers you are on your own clock, you're not really racing the other cars/trucks around you. If someone comes up on you, and is clearly the faster car, let them by, you'll both end up being faster in the end AND the marshals won't have to help either of you out. Also, if they pass you, don't slam it into the turn trying to pass them back, you'll most likely take them and/or yourself out. Getting marshalled, off the gas, especially in off-road. I say it every drivers meeting and I don't know how many times I have to call people during a race for doing it. Also, marshal as you would like to be marshalled! Someone wrecks, don't just lolly gag over and casually flip them over (would you want someone doing that???), yeah THEY wrecked, but sometimes wrecks are caused by something else (like another car). If I wheel someone unintentionally, I'll stop and let them back by or if they come up on me, I let them by. If they are in my way, holding me up and won't let me by, then I reach down and get another wheel out of the box and....move them! LOL

Also, are you running indoor or outdoor? Outdoor - Easy-ups are essential. Indoor - OTT lites.

What to bring with you?
EVERYTHING and more.
Pack your car / truck FULL.
The more you have with you the better.

Other then know your truck inside and out, so you can fix it fast.

Back