Quieting Nitro Cars?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snmhanson

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Is there a realistic way of making nitro cars and truck quieter? I know on my dirt bike you can get pipes that will make the bike quieter, albiet with some degree of power loss. I just did the post about my track plans and although I don't think noise will be an issue I want to examine all my options. So are silencers or quiet pipes available for nitro cars? Thanks.

Matt

Just like your dirt bike, quieter pipes.

There are quieter pipes available, yes just like your dirtbike. But I have to ask, why would you want a quieter Nitro or even a quieter dirtbike? I have both, a dirtbike and a few Nitros and wouldnt even think about making them quieter. Louder maybe..lol OTher than then the pipes Electric is your other option and with your dirtbike, a 4 stroke.. (booooo)

4u2nv said:
There are quieter pipes available, yes just like your dirtbike. But I have to ask, why would you want a quieter Nitro or even a quieter dirtbike? I have both, a dirtbike and a few Nitros and wouldnt even think about making them quieter. Louder maybe..lol OTher than then the pipes Electric is your other option and with your dirtbike, a 4 stroke.. (booooo)
he is making a track, and has neighbors near.

I would say just test out different pipes, or people here prob know some.

Depending on your neighborhood a quiter pipe can keep the peace. I know my ripple pipe on my Savage used to piss my neighbors off pretty bad so I switched to a quieter pipe. Depending on your application, the quieter pipes I've used are the TSAIS pro, CVEC, and currently the OST2050. I know others will chime in with other brands that are quieter.

4u2nv said:
a 4 stroke.. (booooo)

You've gotta admit, if you have ridden a new 4-stroke big bore, you would know that they perform just as well as 2 strokes and some even outperform them. They have so much bottom end, its almost too much. Since 2-strokes are going to be outlawed here in California, i can say that the 4 stroke is not a step down... The weight is about the same as a 2-stroke as well...

How funny it is that California invents supercross, and launches freestyle motocross into the mainstream, and then turns around and says that they are going to outlaw two strokes. Oh well, F*ck 'em I will still smuggle my two stroke to the dunes each holiday in the fall/wintier/spring to pollute those damn green peace peoples' air!

Watch, next you won't be able to run your buggy anymore because of noise/exhaust pollution.

You could try a Dubro Exhuast deflector, they dont make it quieter but it takes the edge off the exhuast.

Tarant said:
You could try a Dubro Exhuast deflector, they dont make it quieter but it takes the edge off the exhuast.

??? whats the edge? I thought all they did was point the exhaust in a different direction.

It deflects the sound in a way that it's not so piercing to the ear. If you point it towards the ground, that helps as well.

I thought it was made out of a softer material so it somewhat absorbs some sound waves... Like the plastic exhausts are quieter than the metal ones. Its like sticking the silencer packing in the silencer in a dirt bike, that absorbs some of the sound waves... i dunno...

Nah, it's only softer so that it can be pliale when hit. I personally don't run it on my onroad. It doesn't make a difference anyway. I still have a lot to clean when I'm done. These onroads get dirtier than a crack whore by the end of the day!

There is also a an airfilter that does the same. Saw it somewhere.

cool, have you tried it, or know if it works?

I have been told it works from a reliable source. Never tried it myself, I like the noise.

it only quiets the engine my 3db... thats not much at all...

with my rs4 3 i got a ths exhaust and it quieted it down. now its quieter than my friends stock mt2 with the same engine. i can't even hear my car when were driving in the parking lot. i would try the ths pipes. by the way what car/truck do you have??

redhatman said:
cool, have you tried it, or know if it works?
It quiets it down a bit but not real practical when racing. Kinda hurt my throttle response, slightly! You would have to retune just a little bit but not by much. If you're not picky, just leave it.

Main reason I took it off was because I got tired of hunting down the extension when I noticed it was gone.