Team Associated Nitro TC3 restoration project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R3g1st3rTh1s

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Scale Builder
I have recently acquired an old Team Associated Nitro TC3 (#2033 factory kit), that I plan to restore.

I will put my progress and questions in here as I go. I have had this up on reddit aswell, but I think this forum is a better place for insights.

I got the car along 3 spare Engines, a brunch of NIB foam wheels, starterbox, glowstarter and a number of spares:
45F49026-15CC-4384-BB48-F429513A1A39.jpeg

4C56FAE9-D1C0-42D6-B358-BDDF6AC98A77.jpeg

The car looks to be in ok shape, given that it is 20 years Old. My plan is to take it apart, clean it and then get it up and running. Waiting for Imperial measurement tools to get started, but they should arrive late next week.

For the Engines I got
2 Team Infinity 512TBs and
2 Team Orion Wasp .12 Turbos

3 of them are siezed up atm, so I need to get them loosened up and my first question here is, should I aim to run the 512TBs or the Wasps? Keeping in mind that I will not be racing? Also, any insight as to how these engines compared would be most welcome :)

I managed to pick up some more spareparts for the drivetrain and a NIB muffler, so I think I have most of what I might need, but we’ll see :)

Edit: I forgot to add, I have the original box, manual ect, so that will not be an issue rebuilding this.
Picture of the spare engines:
D0A8071B-BB84-48A5-B1D1-069123DD3F70.jpeg

Oil or wd40 and a lil heat should break the motors free. It's a possibility they are seized, but also a good possibility the fuel locked them as it gels up.

Oil or wd40 and a lil heat should break the motors free. It's a possibility they are seized, but also a good possibility the fuel locked them as it gels up.

I’ve heard that soaking the carbs and engineblocks in Nitrofuel should dissolve the old gel?

I’ve heard that soaking the carbs and engineblocks in Nitrofuel should dissolve the old gel?
That's another way. I'm impatient sometimes. But fuel is also expensive. 🤪

That's another way. I'm impatient sometimes. But fuel is also expensive. 🤪
True dat, but I have 2.5ltrs of 2 year old fuel, that I don’t know if is still good to run, so I’ll treat it like I stole it ;)

True dat, but I have 2.5ltrs of 2 year old fuel, that I don’t know if is still good to run, so I’ll treat it like I stole it ;)
Sounds like a plan. I have a couple swigs that's about 7 years old. I'm using it to remove paint for led lights.

I have some leftover TC3 parts I need to get rid of, pm your address and they’re yours.
That is very kind of you! Are they TC3 or NTC3 parts through? My understanding is that they do not share parts despite the naming convention. :)

That is very kind of you! Are they TC3 or NTC3 parts through? My understanding is that they do not share parts despite the naming convention. :)
He's a good dude with neat chit.

Welcome in @R3g1st3rTh1s , that's going to be a fun project and I'm looking forward to your progress pics.

Body arrived, I will have to get the small front bumper on it, but I give you the 1971 Ford Supervan :D

8E1EE0EA-AC42-440B-BB1F-CADFEFDB3165.jpeg

So FINALLY tools arrived and I can get started

C877389D-D9AA-4FE4-B77A-9B338F721766.jpeg

Got the wheels, electronics tray and engine removed, engine was a b**** as one of the screws was mauled, but it came out after a bit of work.

I got the engine turning with the help of a large helping of oil, carb is still stuck though, so it will have to come apart. I do however need a tool to remove the clutch to inspect it and get all of it soaking and cleaned.

989F30F3-2A74-4FDD-A063-D2895B6FDAAA.jpeg

Got everything off the Chassis, is it the fuel that has eaten away at the aluminium under servos ect.?

C470A117-B4B2-4DA0-B682-9C4E6C2BE157.jpeg

Progress today:

Center bulkhead cleaned and installed with new breakpads, brakecam cleaned and installed.

Fueltank is cleaned, Rubbing Alcohol did its work :)

Carburator FINALLY came loose, it has now been totally taken apart, cleaned, oiled and reassembled. Harder to break loose than I had expected, but it is done!

Engine is turning, but I still need to clean it up and rebuild with new pinions.

Clutch question: currently an aftermarket clutch is installed, when I rebuild, should I keep this or build with the original 2 speed clutch?

Pic of the day:
EC2B734A-900D-4699-86BE-9015D6A7AF85.jpeg

Last edited:
OK.

I need bearing help. I took apart the rear transmission and one of the bearings on the outdrives have disintegrated.

I cannot get FastEddy to ship to Denmark, so how do I go about picking up bearings for the NTC3 factory team inside the EU?

It's a 3/8 - 5/8 bearing, close to 4mm wide, but that is not enough to go on it would appear?

I have located a "1728 - heavy duty one way kit", but obviously that will be an expensive way to acquire two bearings.

All ideas to solve this are welcome! :)

It's a 3/8 - 5/8 bearing, close to 4mm wide, but that is not enough to go on it would appear?
First off, have you found this page? You can see the exploded views and parts list and everything else there. The parts list tells you what the bearing sizes are.
https://www.associatedelectrics.com/teamassociated/cars_and_trucks/NTC3/RTR/manuals_setups/

If you are referring to bearing 3976, it is indeed a 3/8"x5/8"x5/32" bearing. I came up with the 5/32" dimension based on your 4mm measurement. 4mm is right at 5/32".

4mm÷25.4=.15748"
5/32" = .15625"

Here's the parts list section with the bearing and the exploded view of that bearing.
Screenshot_20240209_150500.jpg
Screenshot_20240209-150543_Office Mobile.jpg

I have the original manual that came with the factory kit, I have found the instructions there, only it doesn't give the width, just the 3/8 X 5/8 measurements so thanks for the 5/32.

It is indeed the 3976 bearing, but finding imperial measurement bearings in the EU is hard

I have the original manual that came with the factory kit, I have found the instructions there, only it doesn't give the width, just the 3/8 X 5/8 measurements so thanks for the 5/32.

It is indeed the 3976 bearing, but finding imperial measurement bearings in the EU is hard
Look for industrial supply chains over there. Is there a Grainger there? McMaster? MSC? Those kinds of places will likely have them. If not, there's always ebay and Amazon.