Quieting Nitro Cars?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.21Rc10GT said:
it only quiets the engine my 3db... thats not much at all...

I'm pretty sure that a decrease of 3db will cut the volume level in half. When I was researching speakers for our house I remember reading that every 3db represents a doubling in volume. I could be wrong or using it out of context though.

Oh, and by the way .21Rc10GT, I agree with you about about the 4-stroke vs. 2-stroke. I've got a modded out 05' WR450 and it absolutely rips. Never a lack of power but (almost) always controllable. I don't think it is any quieter than a comparable 2-stroke though plus the growl of a 4-stroke really carries. I guess 2-strokes are a little lighter but I could have gotten a YZ450 and been pretty close weight-wise. But I would have lost my e-start then. Everyone has their own preference but I'd never go back to a 2-stroke.

Matt

.21Rc10GT said:
You've gotta admit, if you have ridden a new 4-stroke big bore, you would know that they perform just as well as 2 strokes and some even outperform them. They have so much bottom end, its almost too much. Since 2-strokes are going to be outlawed here in California, i can say that the 4 stroke is not a step down... The weight is about the same as a 2-stroke as well...
Oh I know. My Cousin who lives next door, and my riding partner, has a Crf 450R and the thing ROCKS! I have never rode something with that much power in my life. Makes my Rm 125 look like a kids bike. Its insane! I'm just a 2 stroke guy though (Not in the pervish way...maybe) I like how they sound and the speed.

snmhanson said:
Oh, and by the way .21Rc10GT, I agree with you about about the 4-stroke vs. 2-stroke. I've got a modded out 05' WR450 and it absolutely rips. Never a lack of power but (almost) always controllable. I don't think it is any quieter than a comparable 2-stroke though plus the growl of a 4-stroke really carries. I guess 2-strokes are a little lighter but I could have gotten a YZ450 and been pretty close weight-wise. But I would have lost my e-start then. Everyone has their own preference but I'd never go back to a 2-stroke.

Matt
a 450 2 stroke would SMOKE a 450 4 stroke. The 450 4 strokers race against the 250 2 strokes. My cousins 450r Crf is loud, but doesn't travel as far as the 2 stroke whine. And yeah, its a low sounding grunt (4 stroke).

My friend has an ATK 406 2-stroker... That thing hauls ass... Its bored out to a 422 or somethin, i dont know the exact specs... It has so much compression you can't bump start it, even with my 290lb ass on the back of the seat in 5th gear... The stupid thing about that bike is, the kick start is on the left side... Thats not my strongest leg...

how's about this, a really big plastic bag on the end of the exhaust pipe.

This muffler will make your nitro no louder than an electric. It WILL rob you of a lot of power though, tuned pipes are loud for a reason, the sound waves are pulsedback to the engine to enhance the power.

yea, that will rob a lot of power out of your vehicle, being that it is so small...